Access Jellyfin in Ubuntu VM

Hi, is it possible to access Jellyin installed inside Ubuntu ( in a VM using VirtualBox ) inside the local network? Say Android phone or TV?

Hi, is it possible to access Jellyin installed inside Ubuntu ( in a VM using VirtualBox ) inside the local network? Say Android phone or TV?
I run the Jellyfin server on a Windows tablet now, but I used to run other Linux only servers through VMware (also later WSL2) and they work fine. You would just need to ensure that the ports are open and mapped on both the guest and host.

I just need to access it within the home LAN. My mobile or TV. Do I have to open ports for that? I am not sure how / where to do it. Thanks.

I am not sure how you have configured the VM's networking, so if you can answer the following questions it might be possible to help you better.
1. Does the VM has direct access to your lan?
1.2. If not does the host act as a nat gateway?
1.3 Is there any firewall on the host system?
1.4 What is the network interface name?
2. If yes to Q1, What is the interface and the ip address names?
3. What is the guest os?

My experience with VirtualBox is Zero so I can't comment directly on it but if you want to access a service you have to open the ports the jellyfin is using on the vm side and on the host system's lan facing network interface and if you are using any NAT then you need to configure the host to do the mapping through a firewall.

Info : No matter where you want to access the service from, you always need to open the port to face that network(if used inside the lan then the ports should open on the LAN facing interface, if on the internet then the WAN facing interface should). Without opening ports, the packets that the client send will not reach the server. In general outgoing connections(clients) will use random ports to connect to the server's Fixed Port, these ports(client side) will not accept any incoming connections by default so you don't need to open them for talking to the outside. But on the server side, the server will never initiate a connection to a client(there are exceptions but this is in general idea), it is the job of the client to connect to the server so the server's ports are fixed and they must be allowed to receive packets. If not then packets that the clients send will be dropped by the firewall and will never reach the server.

Back