Advise a good P&S camera with IS

Switch

Skilled
So my Canon A95 went missing a couple of days ago. Now I am a camera less person which is bad. Had some good and not so good years with my canon. The CCD sensor died a couple of years ago and thankfully it got changed but it was never the same camera again. Also lack of IS really did bother me. Finally the size of the camera was huge for my needs as I need to use the camera for my daily use.

Now what I am looking for is a basic P&S camera which has good IS and is compact. Don't want high zoom but want it to be as compact as possible. Should be able to take noiseless pics in low light and should make a small hole in the pocket. Should be able to record high res videos @ 30 fps for as long as possible. Ideally I don't want to spend more then 5k but we ain't living in a ideal world are we now so extending the budget to 10k for all practical reasons. I really want a compact camera as carrying a huge ass camera is a big pain. Also ain't really looking for manual controls but as they say the more the merrier. Don't really want to extend the budget but if something is really worth it will go for it.

Also I want it pretty quickly so won't really be looking for the upcoming models. Thanks for reading.

Switch

P.S. Totally forgot the camera would primarily be used in my store for clicking pics of furniture and would also be my travel camera for the vacations and parties.

So you ve increased your budget to 10K, if by any chance it falls back to 5K, then do give the Nikon L21 a look (around 4K or even lesser). Its 480p video recording is pretty good and its about as compact as a cam can get.

If you want HD video then the Canon 100 IXUS is fine. If VGA video is fine with you then the Canon 105 IXUS is better as it has a longer and wider lens. :)

Both costs around 10k.

HD videos would be preferred. 720p is like the minimum standard these days. Apart from canon is there any other brand.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How big is PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-TZ7 compared to the canon. I see that it's a great camera almost recommended by everyone here.

^^ Its a nice camera but its priced pretty high IMO. Its discontinued so its a bit hard to find.

Here is the approximate grey market price - eBay India: PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-TZ7 DIGITAL CAMERA LEICA LENS 10MP (item 350376313233 end time 02-Aug-2010 15:05:40 IST)

Of course it will be at least 1000 bucks cheaper outside of ebay but Panasonic models are in any case hard to find.

If you want Panasonic, the FH1 at 10k shoots HD video. But its not as compact as the Canon and it captures HD video in the Quicktime motion format which makes for large files.

I would recommend Panasonic TZ7 if you are ok with spending 15k for a grey market product. Over Ixus 100, I would recommend Ixus 120, which has 4x zoom as compared to 3x of Ixus100 and also has a wide angle @ 28mm as compared to 35mm of Ixus 100. It should cost you around 10.5k or so.

The Fujifilm AV100 was the cheapest HD video recording digicam that I could find. It retails at Rs.4500 at ebay. Will fit in your original ideal world budget too. :p

Back