Linux Any LXDusers around?

rudiv

Disciple
I've been using Proxmox for a while, but I'm not a huge fan of the custom LXC tooling they use for administering containers. Anyone use LXD in production or homelab and have any thoughts on how it stands up to Proxmox?

Running dockers in Proxmox is a pain, and a major reason why I moved to UnRaid, Virtualization was not my main concern as i only wanted to run 1 or 2 VMs, running docker apps was a priority, which was solved with Unraid's user-friendly interface and App Store to get any apps I want with a few clicks, I found TrueNas's interface too intimidating for novice users.

I am not sure how good LXD has gotten, I have not tested it in a while but I think the best bet if you want to continue using Proxmox is to use Portainer instead.

Don't use containers in Proxmox, it has slow startup plus if a kernel panic occurs your whole host goes down.
You can't use wireguard in LXC without configuring properly. Many such issues with LXC. Just switch to VMs with cloud-init, much more supported. All major cloud providers use full virtualization.

I've been using Proxmox for a while, but I'm not a huge fan of the custom LXC tooling they use for administering containers. Anyone use LXD in production or homelab and have any thoughts on how it stands up to Proxmox?
What exactly is the issue?

And will this run alongside proxmox? I use a container but made it using a script so it didnt take much. Use these scripts -> https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/

You can post on the Proxmox thread too.

sorry it was not wireguard but netmarker based on docker. the issue was related to unprivileged container.

so you are recommended lxc containers over vm?

personally I migrated from containers to vm and i use docker inside the vm as i found that more enterprise and stable way.

Running dockers in Proxmox is a pain, and a major reason why I moved to UnRaid, Virtualization was not my main concern as i only wanted to run 1 or 2 VMs, running docker apps was a priority, which was solved with Unraid's user-friendly interface and App Store to get any apps I want with a few clicks, I found TrueNas's interface too intimidating for novice users.

I am not sure how good LXD has gotten, I have not tested it in a while but I think the best bet if you want to continue using Proxmox is to use Portainer instead.
I didn't have a lot of issues with LXC containers or anything, I just found it cumbersome updating the containers & containerised apps manually. I started trying to generate my own container images, but since Proxmox supports LXC containers but not LXD containers I didn't find a lot of tooling to make it simpler to build, whereas LXD has their own tool to build images and I believe there's an integration for Packer as well. Unraid is good, but requires payment I think, and AFAIK it's supposed to be run as the root OS - I have 2-3 single purpose VMs and want to add a couple more to run a Kubernetes cluster, so that may not work out. I also prefer using stuff I can administer remotely over a terminal if necessary - I don't think that's possible with Unraid.
Portainer I used way back in the day, but I found it a bit limiting. Looking at their docs, they've clearly added a lot more stuff since. Worth spinning it up to take a look at.

Don't use containers in Proxmox, it has slow startup plus if a kernel panic occurs your whole host goes down.
You can't use wireguard in LXC without configuring properly. Many such issues with LXC. Just switch to VMs with cloud-init, much more supported. All major cloud providers use full virtualization.
I didn't have any issues with containers in Proxmox over the last few years. The kernel panic issue is interesting - a kernel panic within the container takes down the whole host? I was running only unprivileged containers with limits on processes/ram/etc. so I wasn't aware that was a possibility. Full virtualisation would be fine if I had a bunch of compute to throw at everything, but I try to be as efficient as possible with my homelab. Major cloud providers have a lot more money than I do.
I was able to use Wireguard fine with my Transmission LXC - I see that you mentioned the issue was with Netmaker. I haven't used that, read about it a year or so ago when I was trying to set up a multi-cloud Kubernetes cluster. I don't recall, do they use kernel WG or user space WG?

Anyway, thanks for the info guys! At this point, I think I'm going to stick with Proxmox and run a 3-4 node Kubernetes cluster on Proxmox VMs and use that for containerised applications. I found a really cool project that'll let me use the ZFS pools I'm sharing between servers as the CSI for Kubernetes (It's called democratic-csi, check it out).

Another question - anyone have any feedback on the Terraform provider for Proxmox? I'm a bit wary of it as it's third-party and I've been stung by third-party Terraform providers before (that was one of the reasons I was looking at LXD, because I read some good feedback for the third-party LXD provider).
What exactly is the issue?

And will this run alongside proxmox? I use a container but made it using a script so it didnt take much. Use these scripts -> https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/

You can post on the Proxmox thread too.
I appreciate the tteck scripts a lot, they're very useful, but I like to set stuff up myself rather than using scripts usually. Call it the bike shedding impulse :')
The issues I had with containers in Proxmox were just a high cost of maintenance. Every time one of the apps would be updated upstream, I'd have to manually update them. Also, the default container images need some tweaking to run correctly in an unprivileged container, otherwise a bunch of services will fail occasionally.

Back