Video Calling all WD HD media player Users !

The new edition of the basic WDTV can play DTS via analog.

DTS audio is always passed through the optical or HDMI without any issues on ALL wdtv versions. I personally have the WDTV first edition and DTS passthrough works like a charm on my Onkyo via Optical output and Denon via HDMI.

The only issue is with down mixing DTS signals into a stereo-out in case you did not have a digital audio receiver and wanted to hear the sound via the audio out on the TV. The first edition of the WDTV had a chip that had licensing issues with DTS, so it could not downmix DTS to Stereo. The second version of the WDTV shares the chipset with the WDTV live and can downmix digital DTS to analog stereo out.

And remember that the V2 box looks identical to the V1 box with just a small suggestion on the bottom left saying DTS 2.0 is available. So be careful if you buy and see the attached picture if you are still unsure.

View attachment 9373
Praks said:
yeah WD TV Live supports DTS.

its only WD HD old player which cant play DTS.

Attachments

• wdtv.jpg
    wdtv.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 100
Now that my confusion has gone to the next level, wanted to get is sorted out

hector19 said:
^ Dude, i think S/PDIF is different from HDMI u should have tried it with OPTICAL

I have sony KLV 32" V 550a series which has the following terminals

HDMIâ„¢ / Audio In 4 (2 Side/2 Rear)
USB 2.0 1 (Side)
Component / Audio In 2 (Rear)
Composite / Audio In 3 (1 Rear (Video Out common use)/1 Rear (Component input common use)/1 Side)
HD15 PC Input / Audio 1 (Rear)
Composite Monitor Out / Audio Out 1 (Rear)
Audio Out 2 (1 Rear/1 Rear (Analog Audio Input common use))
Headphone Out 1 (Side)

Now tell me where does optical fit here?

hector19 said:
^ if u'have connected ur HDMI to ur TV rather than an DTS decoding Amp then thats common :( IMO !

Do you mean by directly connecting HDMI to TV, I will not be able to hear DTS sound ?

vinayaga said:
DTS audio is always passed through the optical or HDMI without any issues on ALL wdtv versions. I personally have the WDTV first edition and DTS passthrough works like a charm on my Onkyo via Optical output and Denon via HDMI.

View attachment 9373

Till here I am clear as you are saying that HDMI and SPDIF carries DTS audio and you were getting the output from AV receiver.

vinayaga said:
The only issue is with down mixing DTS signals into a stereo-out in case you did not have a digital audio receiver and wanted to hear the sound via the audio out on the TV.

The first edition of the WDTV had a chip that had licensing issues with DTS, so it could not downmix DTS to Stereo. The second version of the WDTV shares the chipset with the WDTV live and can downmix digital DTS to analog stereo out.

View attachment 9373
Now here my question is, as I have already connected my WDTV with my Sony 32" via HDMI, what does the WDTV chip has to do with the conversion, as I am expecting the audio output from my sony TV right?

@Techman

I am not sure if Sony LCD comes with Optical SPDIF out, IMHO its only WDTV or HT which has Optical in & out.

@vinayaga

Were you able to run torrent on WDTV ? Remember our old discussion :) ?

vinayaga said:
I personally have the WDTV first edition and DTS passthrough works like a charm on my Onkyo via Optical output

I've never managed to get DTS passthrough working with my WDTV first edition and my Onkyo TX-SR505E using optical cable. Please help me vinayaga :(

WickedTA said:
I've never managed to get DTS passthrough working with my WDTV first edition and my Onkyo TX-SR505E using optical cable. Please help me vinayaga :(

Weird. You sure you changed sound output settings in the WD to digital?

vinayaga said:
The new edition of the basic WDTV can play DTS via analog.

The only issue is with down mixing DTS signals into a stereo-out in case you did not have a digital audio receiver and wanted to hear the sound via the audio out on the TV. The first edition of the WDTV had a chip that had licensing issues with DTS, so it could not downmix DTS to Stereo. The second version of the WDTV shares the chipset with the WDTV live and can downmix digital DTS to analog stereo out.

And remember that the V2 box looks identical to the V1 box with just a small suggestion on the bottom left saying DTS 2.0 is available. So be careful if you buy and see the attached picture if you are still unsure.

View attachment 9373

Vinay, DD/DTS over HDMI? IIRC, the original WD only did stereo downmix through HDMI, NOT DD/DTS 5.1?

Wow, that is a lot of confusion for sure !!!

There are two types of audio streams, one is a digital audio stream like a DTS/Dolby which needs specialized equipment to separate the 5 plus channels and play them from the stream individually on each speaker. And then there is analogue audio where you get a left and right stereo sound that basically any player can play.

Audio Receivers like Onkyo can process this digital audio stream and convert it to Analog stereo sound. Your TV CANNOT do this. This means that if the WDTV can convert a DTS to left and right stereo analogue sound, the TV will happily play it, but if the WDTV sends a digital audio signal over the HDMI, the TV will reject the audio as it will not understand it.

The first edition of WDTV canNOT convert DTS to stereo, the second edition can do that. Both the editions can downmix Dolby 5.1 to stereo.

Is that more clear now ? and if you do not have a receiver, Optical input is out of question. Go to the WDTV menu and change the option of audio output to analog stereo and you should be able to hear most of the stuff on the TV.

Techman said:
Now that my confusion has gone to the next level, wanted to get is sorted out

I have sony KLV 32" V 550a series which has the following terminals

HDMIâ„¢ / Audio In 4 (2 Side/2 Rear)
USB 2.0 1 (Side)
Component / Audio In 2 (Rear)
Composite / Audio In 3 (1 Rear (Video Out common use)/1 Rear (Component input common use)/1 Side)
HD15 PC Input / Audio 1 (Rear)
Composite Monitor Out / Audio Out 1 (Rear)
Audio Out 2 (1 Rear/1 Rear (Analog Audio Input common use))
Headphone Out 1 (Side)

Now tell me where does optical fit here?

Do you mean by directly connecting HDMI to TV, I will not be able to hear DTS sound ?

Till here I am clear as you are saying that HDMI and SPDIF carries DTS audio and you were getting the output from AV receiver.
Now here my question is, as I have already connected my WDTV with my Sony 32" via HDMI, what does the WDTV chip has to do with the conversion, as I am expecting the audio output from my sony TV right?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edit : Hate this automatic merge of answers to two different posts. It is painfull when such roundabout features are introduced to solve a small problem like bumping !
That does not sound right, I have always been able to do this from day one. Are you saying that the WDTV sends all the digital signals to the receiver (Like Dolby 5.1) except for DTS ? Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the WDTV ?

One possibility though is that your receiver is rejecting the signal rather than the other way round. Have you changed the sound output settings in the WDTV to digital out ?
WickedTA said:

TechHead and vinayaga, I already have the audio settings on the WDTV set to digital out, but no go. And I believe I have this issue with DD as well as DTS (I'll need to double check). vinayaga, which Onkyo do you have and what kind of input switching settings have you set on it?

BTW, I do have the latest firmware on it.

I originally had the Onkyo DS595 and I had to use the optical out from the WDTV to get DTS audio on the receiver. Used to work flawlessly. Now I have upgraded to the Denon 1610 and pass the audio and video to the receiver via HDMI and that also works well.

Unfortunately, I disconnected the old WD setup as I got my WDTV Live today (will set up the live over the weekend), so can no longer experiment on it. Did you check to see if there is a problem with the Optical cable ? I have my own experience and a few friends too who use it successfully to send DTS to the receiver, so maybe something is broken in your WDTV and you should get it checked under warranty.
WickedTA said:
TechHead and vinayaga, I already have the audio settings on the WDTV set to digital out, but no go. And I believe I have this issue with DD as well as DTS (I'll need to double check). vinayaga, which Onkyo do you have and what kind of input switching settings have you set on it?

BTW, I do have the latest firmware on it.

Absolutely. Im just finished watching a BDRip of Matrix on my old WDTV for farewell sake and it streamed DTS flawlessly via HDMI.

TechHead said:
Vinay, DD/DTS over HDMI? IIRC, the original WD only did stereo downmix through HDMI, NOT DD/DTS 5.1?

And to be sure that Im not screwing up by giving wrong information, I double checked the connection just now !!! All I have is a HDMI cable going through to my Denon receiver and the receiver is showing Digital audio as the stream and playing all channels.

Back