Galaxy S or XT720 or Desire

nonbeing

Disciple
Greetings. I'm looking for an Android-based smartphone that costs around 25k - 30k. I've shortlisted 3 options so far (prices are from flipkart):
1. Samsung Galaxy S (i9000) [~28k]
2. HTC Desire [~27k]
3. Motorola XT720 [~26k]

As far as I know, all of them currently use Android 2.1 (Eclair), will soon be updated to Froyo. All have pretty good reviews (phonearena, gsmarena) on the Web.

The Moto has the best camera (8MP with Xenon flash) and 720p recording, which makes it attractive since I want a good camera. However, the Galaxy S is supposed to have the best processor, best display/graphics, best battery life, and it's much smaller and lighter - which are big advantages.

I'm unable to decide which one to go for, since all are very strong contenders. I suppose I couldn't go wrong with any of them, but in the end I have to buy only one of them very soon, so which one should it be? I'm curious which phone you guys would choose, and for what reasons.

This is going to be my first smartphone, so your gyaan would be much appreciated :)

P.S. have any of you ordered a phone from flipkart? Is it advisable to do so?

I would say:

Motorola - don't even consider

Galaxy S - large screen, great performance, but poor build quality (light and plasticky) and terrible UI

Desire - Fantastic UI, slightly smaller screen, great build quality (feels solid and just the right weight)

I went for the Desire - no regrets!

Galaxy S- amazing hardware, awesome screen and looks GOOD when seen from distance..

you come closer, touch the phone, it is still nice.. you pick up the phone and you say to yourself..ERRR...is it a dummy phone or the final piece itself..yea, as pointed above..the built quality sucks..you unlock the phone, see the UI, yea it sux too..

THE GOOD- UI can be changed by using adw launcher or other alternatives...screen is gorgeous and videos look amazing..

DESIRE-i used to love Desire before i actually held it in my hand..build quality is amazing..and i LOVE the UI...Hadn't I been spoilt by xperia's 4inch screen, i would have definitely loved it.but the screen seemed VERY small to me even though the difference is only 0.3..

It is THE perfect smartphone if you dont care about the screen size.

and yes..MOTOROLA--dont even consider... :p...AS said above..

Thanks for the prompt replies. I've ruled out the XT720. It's a close call between the Galaxy S and Desire, but I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S right now.

Two more things:

- does anyone have any experience/knowledge of buying phones from flipkart? I'm satisfied with my book purchases from them, but phones? :S

- any idea if HTC has announced a Froyo update for the Desire? Samsung is already working on Froyo for the Galaxy S, and that's a big plus, imo.

If you need a camera with flash and to an extreme extent you think Led/xenon flash light is really important to you in dark situations go for Motorola. Then if the Led/Xenon flash is not much of a requirement but its still a high priority go for Desire. If you think you can let go the Flashlight then grab the Samsung Galaxy S. Its a good all rounder phone, the build quality is decent the plasticky feeling which every body is dreading about is just a mere state of mind, as I said the build quality is decent and You are not gonna play Air Hockey with it are you ?

Goto a shop where they'd let you demo the phones. I did that today, compared Desire and Galaxy S side by side and picked up Galaxy S without any regrets.

when u invest such money in phone , just keep in mind that Samsung would be better resell value than Moto & comparing it with Galaxy S , believe me you will go for Galaxy S .

much talked about plastic feel in Galaxy can be diff. from person to person .

when you compare Desire & Galaxy , keep in mind which company will give you better support & some web help from all over web from modification & etc .

and I feel , the camera function in mobile phone is always just side factor , never go for phone just for it's camera feature

Yesterday i played with Motorola XT720 for 20 minutes in Ezone. The phone is not impressive in any aspects except the Xenon flash. The touch sensitivity is also not good. Please avoid it.

I used my friends Nexus One and to be honest , audio quality wasnt great (it was good , but not as good as what I heard on the wave) . I think its because of not having a separate DSP for audio . It it were me , id avoid Desire . Get the XT720 or the Galaxy S depending on how bad you need the camera .

The only advantage moto has is it's 8 mp camera with xenon flash for still pictures. It can record 720p videos but the video stutters. The auto flash does not always work and the picture can be grainy hence the flash is to be set at ON for every click.

Specification wise it is half of what Samsung Galaxy S offers at a price of 1k less than the Moto.

When it comes to multimedia playback Samsung Galaxy S is the front runner.

The only drawback is the build quality and UI. If you don't wish to buy it go for Samsung Galaxy S because of this then you can consider buying the HTC Desire which has better build quality and UI. Motorola is a definite no-no.

nonbeing said:
Thanks for the prompt replies. I've ruled out the XT720. It's a close call between the Galaxy S and Desire, but I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S right now.

Two more things:
- does anyone have any experience/knowledge of buying phones from flipkart? I'm satisfied with my book purchases from them, but phones? :S
- any idea if HTC has announced a Froyo update for the Desire? Samsung is already working on Froyo for the Galaxy S, and that's a big plus, imo.
Flipkart - :hap2: :thumb: They delivered the phone in almost exactly 24 hours from my placing of the order all the way from Bangalore to Delhi.

Froyo is already out for Desire in many countries. Not sure if we can somehow update it unofficially, but official update should not be very far away I guess.

Went to a showroom yesterday and used both SGS and Desire (and had a peep at the XT720 just for the heck of it). I really liked the superior hardware in the SGS and wanted to buy it. Was hoping against hope that this plasticky build quality everybody talks about was just an exaggeration. I was given the SGS to try out first and while it didn't seem bad, the XT720 seemed a bit more solid/serious. So SGS wasn't as bad as it was made out to be... until I was shown the Desire. The way the Desire felt in hand was just something else. For me, this was the clincher and I decided that I could really live without the livelier screen, BT 3.0, 802.1n, faster GPU and 16GB ROM of the SGS. Not too difficult though, given that the Desire does have 64MB additional RAM, and having come from using two different phones over the past years that were clearly lacking in RAM, it was an important factor. No regrets having gotten the Desire :)

Galaxy S is just amazing, HTC Desire is great as well. Can't go wrong with either of these, just don't think about Moto among these.

Galaxy S has front cam, so if you plan to use Video calling after 3G is launched in 1-2 months, go for it over HTC. I wonder why such expensive phones don't come with a simple front cam and a basic LED flash for camera.

WickedTA said:
Went to a showroom yesterday and used both SGS and Desire (and had a peep at the XT720 just for the heck of it). I really liked the superior hardware in the SGS and wanted to buy it. Was hoping against hope that this plasticky build quality everybody talks about was just an exaggeration. I was given the SGS to try out first and while it didn't seem bad, the XT720 seemed a bit more solid/serious. So SGS wasn't as bad as it was made out to be... until I was shown the Desire. The way the Desire felt in hand was just something else. For me, this was the clincher and I decided that I could really live without the livelier screen, BT 3.0, 802.1n, faster GPU and 16GB ROM of the SGS. Not too difficult though, given that the Desire does have 64MB additional RAM, and having come from using two different phones over the past years that were clearly lacking in RAM, it was an important factor. No regrets having gotten the Desire :)
I don't know if anybody told you but the HTC Desire HD and HTC Desire Z are releasing in November. They are going to be priced close to the original Desire. It would have paid to wait a couple of weeks. How much did you pay for the Desire and how much was the Galaxy S?

Back