Hard Drive Hungama !! Internal & External Drives at Amazing Prices

Got my 3 drives. 2 are working and one's dead. The packaging is the worst I've ever seen for shipping hard drives. Three stacked together and shredded paper on top! I got scared the moment I opened and saw the state the disks were packed in.

I'll most probably send the dead one for RMA tomorrow but that means I wait for atleast 2 weeks and I needed the disks urgently! What's done is done but I strongly request you to take care with the packaging when shipping multiple drives. The paper might be enough for a single drive but multiple drives need some kind of segregation. Even a thermocol sheet to separate each might've spared me the headache of the whole RMA process.

I'll be giving a +ve feedback this time but unless you take appropriate measures to properly pack any future shipments, I'm afraid I'll be shopping with you only as a last option. The only silver lining about this is that you and your team are pretty helpful and accessible.

Hi,
To begin with I'm extremely sorry about the DOA drive, as with any manufactured device there is always the chance of failure which is why we have a industry standard DOA policy so you need not RMA the drive. I'm also rather surprised about the fact that your drives were shipped together in one box. It is standard operating procedure to ship drives in their individual boxes unless the customer elects otherwise. The matter is being looked into and I am taking a personal interest in the matter. Please drop me a PM so that we can move forward in getting you a fully functional drive at the soonest. I'd also appreciate if you could email or PM me some pictures of the drive and its packaging so that we can improve the experience of all those that shop with us.

Expect an updated reply on the status of things tomorrow when I have been able to speak to all parties concerned. Rest assured that we will learn from this and move forward to ensure that our customers receive nothing but the best service from us.

Regards,
TheTechShopGuy

Wow, talk about service! I'll do the needful and send you the details asap. Thanks. Normally I would have just RMAed the drive myself and saved all of us the hassle (knowing the haphazard way couriers work), but the packing really threw me off. Since my HTPC setup is only waiting for the HDDs, a faster way for me to recieve a replacement will be accepted heartily by me.

Whatever way this works out, I thank you again for your considerate response.

Hi,

I've spoken to the guys who handle packaging and dispatch; I now have a clear idea of what exactly has happened with your drives packaging. They have informed me that they deviated from normal procedure which is to send drives in individual boxes with their own individual packaging materials because they were requested by Naga to combine the shipping on the drives so as to save on shipment costs as shipping each drive with its own packaging increases the weight as well as volume of the shipment resulting in higher costs for the customer. I'm disappointed that Naga chose to withhold this information while posting; it takes a lot of effort to gain and maintain a reputation and incidents like these can do irreparable damage to the reputation of a dealer. We work hard to ensure that shipments to the folks at TE and out consumer base at large are packed securely and reach them in top notch condition. Instances of miscommunication and misunderstanding can negate the effort put in to ensure quality service to our customers. You can rest assured that we will review our packaging procedures to ensure that they meet the highest of standards.

As for the DOA drive, i've seen the pictures and the drive does not bear any signs of physical damage and we are good to go with getting it replaced direct from Western Digital. I'll be dropping Naga a PM shortly so we can proceed to get a fully functional drive delivered to him as soon as possible. Bro, your HTPC should be up and running soon.

Regards,

TheTechShopGuy

Do you really think I did that? Please check your records and see what I paid for shipping. The standard rates that you charge= 774 bux for the three of them.

Other members can verify that the rates are much higher than the average. It's not much lesser than what I pay kmd/ PhOeNix for shipping a full tower cabinet.

I have not cribbed over the charges but pray do tell me how much I saved by asking for it to be shipped in such a casual packaging? Don't disappoint me by not divulging the savings I made.

Edit: If you check your inbox, since I had mistakenly made two orders, I asked you if you could offer me a discount on the shipping if the two orders were bundled. You asked me to contact your team and they said I would save 10bux. I of course didn't see the point in all the new hassles your team would have to go thru to change my order details for saving a measly 10 bux and paid the full charges as my orders originally stood.
Please verify with your records and do think carefully before accusing me of hiding facts. I don't do that kind of stuff.

Another edit: I would like to clarify that I am not cribbing about the shipping charges. I did not before paying and I don't intend to now. Different people have different rate contracts. The only reason I mentioned it was cos you hinted that I was somehow to blame for the packaging due to a miserly attitude to save on shipping. Since you have charged me with hiding facts from you in my zeal to save a few bux, pls do mention publicly how much I saved on shipping. Whatever communication gaps there be (as per your PM), the rate I paid is in your records. The least you could do is check them before casting aspersions on my character. I'm more than a little touchy about my rep.

Please also note that I did not demand any compensation or immediate replacement. I only advised you to check your shipping procedures and was willing to bear the hassles of an RMA. Do remember that HDDs can be shipped in a single packet if packaged properly. Did you even question your guys the logic behind throwing 3 very shock sensitive drives into a packet with just shredded paper before accusing me of lying?

Also, please clarify if you normally ship out individual drives in a single order in multiple consignments or just a single shipment? Specifically, I asked if I could get a discount if the two shipments were bundled together. If your standard procedure is to ship multiple items in a single order in separate shipments, my request for a single consignment might have confused your guys. Doesn't excuse the lame packaging, though.

Firstly, let me clarify that when multiple Hard Drives are ordered OR when a Hard Drive is ordered with any other item, the HARD DRIVE ALWAYS SHIPS IN ITS OWN MINI PARCEL. Other TE members that have ordered from us or the reviews on our website stand testament to this.

So Naga's packing was definitely a lapse, for which we apologise and will seriously look into the matter at our end. It was an error, and is certainly not normal procedure.

Naga, in your first post, you have very explicitly described the packing as well as your feelings when you opened the box. This kind of post really hurts reputation because people never tend to look at the 100 times you do things right, its the one time that things go wrong that stands out. Even so, when you thought it right to write a post like that, it would have been fair to at least mention something about the request for comibined orders/shipping that you made so as to at least point out that it could have been a contributing factor.

Even then, in our first reply, we always put the customer first and spoke about replacement and apologised. We stand by what we said and will be replacing your DOA Drive. We knew that Hard drives are not shipped the way you described and gave you good customer support despite your damaging first post.

Looking at the shipping charges part, yes what you say is right, you have paid the full amount for shipping. We have never said that you have not, what we are saying is that it would have been fair on your part to at least mention the whole combined order thingy somewhere in your first post which is the one that gets the immediate reactions.

Once again, let me reiterate that we are NOT MAKING EXCUSES for the incorrect packing procedure followed nor are we trying to get out of this situation. We just feel your first post could have been a little less blatantly accusing.

If you look at it objectively, the way you have taken offense to our post, even though we have never intended to. Refer to "casting aspersions on my character. I'm more than a little touchy about my rep".

Similarly, you could have also tried to at least consider that it could have been a mistake on our part and thought about our rep before saying "packaging is the worst I've ever seen for shipping hard drives. Three stacked together and shredded paper on top! I got scared the moment I opened and saw the state the disks were packed in". Since we are also more than touchy about our rep, the +ve feedback after saying all this in our thread really does little.

EDIT: Thanks for the review you left on online on our website.

Anyway, please send your DOA drive to us so that we may send you a replacement ASAP.

^^ U guys charged 774 as shipping :O.....Bl00dy Hell......what frigging material is used , that makes it so high. I am sure margins are a part of ur shipping as well. Way to go TechShop. Abt the testimonials , all ur buyers r those uber ones who will rather sit and buy online, than go to SP Road in their Honda City :rofl:...for them u r like offering 40% off on MRP for a HDD :D

And ya even as an individual I feel I have shipped so many PVR-150 cards , very recently to Naga also....and for 2 cards weighing almost 2 kgs , all I charged was around Rs 250 for shipping. And ya this is an individual pricing by DTDC, with big customers like in our office its like Rs 75 per kg + insurance @ 2% if applicable. Can you come up with any logic why Rs 774/- was charged if Naga had told/asked for combined shipping !!! At the prices you are selling and shipping charges you are charging, members expect premium services , otherwise members in big cities can easily help out members like Naga to get at a much better price/shipping charges than Tech Shop.

Supra said:
^^ U guys charged 774 as shipping :O.....Bl00dy Hell......what frigging material is used , that makes it so high. I am sure margins are a part of ur shipping as well. Way to go TechShop. Abt the testimonials , all ur buyers r those uber ones who will rather sit and buy online, than go to SP Road in their Honda City :rofl:...for them u r like offering 40% off on MRP for a HDD :D

Nice timing to take a dig Supra... I am sure you for one were waiting with bated breath for something like this to happen.

And ya even as an individual I feel I have shipped so many PVR-150 cards , very recently to Naga also....and for 2 cards weighing almost 2 kgs , all I charged was around Rs 250 for shipping. And ya this is an individual pricing by DTDC, with big customers like in our office its like Rs 75 per kg + insurance @ 2% if applicable. Can you come up with any logic why Rs 774/- was charged if Naga had told/asked for combined shipping !!! At the prices you are selling and shipping charges you are charging, members expect premium services , otherwise members in big cities can easily help out members like Naga to get at a much better price/shipping charges than Tech Shop.

So typical of you... Blowing off hot air without knowing the facts. Do you know what pricing we gave Naga for the two WD10EADS HDD's ?? NO YOU DON'T...

MODS... KEEP THIS GUY OFF MY THREADS !!!!

So typical of you... Blowing off hot air without knowing the facts. Do you know what pricing we gave Naga for the two WD10EADS HDD's ?? NO YOU DON'T...

MODS... KEEP THIS GUY OFF MY THREADS !!!!

Lol thats being arrogant ! Better of the mods show it to ur bosses !

Wow ! You are not paying here on TE to keep members of your thread :p
Tell the price in public. I can see your listed Seagate 7200.12 1TB being listed as 4.5k + shipping ! I can see the same drive on ebay for 4420+ 75 shipping. (that with paisapay charges of 6%). Usual price in SP Road bangalore is like 3900+tax or so for 1 piece.

eBay India: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 1 TB SATA 7200.12 32MB 5Yr (item 130327015033 end time 28-Aug-2009 20:31:03 IST)

As of the pricing by you all I told is that since u charge premium , experience of the shopping should also be premium quality ! In what way are you say better than ITWares, Lynx that makes u usually charge more. See your website prices they are atrocious to say the best :)

And ya all your supposedly best deals like WD 750GB , Athlon X2 245 were as usual price mistakes ! Only one I can remember off is the Dell 2209WA in which you were competitive :p

TheTechShopGuy said:
Firstly, let me clarify that when multiple Hard Drives are ordered OR when a Hard Drive is ordered with any other item, the HARD DRIVE ALWAYS SHIPS IN ITS OWN MINI PARCEL. Other TE members that have ordered from us or the reviews on our website stand testament to this.

So Naga's packing was definitely a lapse, for which we apologise and will seriously look into the matter at our end. It was an error, and is certainly not normal procedure.

Naga, in your first post, you have very explicitly described the packing as well as your feelings when you opened the box. This kind of post really hurts reputation because people never tend to look at the 100 times you do things right, its the one time that things go wrong that stands out. Even so, when you thought it right to write a post like that, it would have been fair to at least mention something about the request for comibined orders/shipping that you made so as to at least point out that it could have been a contributing factor.

If you read your own posts properly, you'll see that I asked if the shipping would be less if the two orders were combined. I did not know your shipping procedure and I did not avail of the savings of Rs.10/- that your guys offered if I went for a single consignment. To make it clear, the request for combining the two orders was made to you by PM BEFORE making the final payment. Where does the part of me hiding facts from you come into the picture? My order details showed one shipping charge for 2 HDDs and another shipping charge for the next order. I only asked you if it was possible for a shipping discount if the two orders were bundled! Why doesn't that make sense to you?

TheTechShopGuy said:
Even then, in our first reply, we always put the customer first and spoke about replacement and apologised. We stand by what we said and will be replacing your DOA Drive. We knew that Hard drives are not shipped the way you described and gave you good customer support despite your damaging first post.

Damaging post? I have commented on the packaging which is atrocious by any standards! I have nowhere in my posts said anything about you cheating or lying. In fact there was praise for your accessibility and helpful nature (???)The same same day I got the consignment, I gave a +ve feedback here on iTrust and on your website taking the packaging to be a lapse! Do you call that malicious behaviour?

TheTechShopGuy said:
Looking at the shipping charges part, yes what you say is right, you have paid the full amount for shipping. We have never said that you have not, what we are saying is that it would have been fair on your part to at least mention the whole combined order thingy somewhere in your first post which is the one that gets the immediate reactions.

It's frigging there in the bloody PM I sent you before completing the order :mad:!!! How the hell do you justify insinuating I'm hiding facts from you? And you never said I didn't pay the full rates? What does the following quote insinuate:

because they were requested by Naga to combine the shipping on the drives so as to save on shipment costs as shipping each drive with its own packaging increases the weight as well as volume of the shipment resulting in higher costs for the customer

Edit: @above quote, how much did your guys say I save? If I saved nothing, why didn't they follow your "standard procedure"?

TheTechShopGuy said:
If you look at it objectively, the way you have taken offense to our post, even though we have never intended to.

I'm supposed to be glad about your statement? Since you can't take the time to read your own post, I quote:
I now have a clear idea of what exactly has happened with your drives packaging. They have informed me that they deviated from normal procedure which is to send drives in individual boxes with their own individual packaging materials because they were requested by Naga to combine the shipping on the drives so as to save on shipment costs as shipping each drive with its own packaging increases the weight as well as volume of the shipment resulting in higher costs for the customer. I'm disappointed that Naga chose to withhold this information while posting

Doesn't that imply I'm to blame and am lying about the circumstances? If it doesn't, accept my full apologies.

TheTechShopGuy said:
Once again, let me reiterate that we are NOT MAKING EXCUSES for the incorrect packing procedure followed nor are we trying to get out of this situation. We just feel your first post could have been a little less blatantly accusing.

Look at the your post about me asking for sub standard packing and ask yourself if it's an excuse or not. I was not accusing, I was stating facts. Just look the nice job done on the packing.
TheTechShopGuy said:
Anyway, please send your DOA drive to us so that we may send you a replacement ASAP.

Don't worry. I'll get it RMAed myself. Consider the case closed from my side. Thank you for the pleasant shopping experience.

Back