Car & Bike Helmets

Are they as safe as MT helmets? They look good and also a little cheaper
Safety-wise what matters is rating/certification. I think you must be thinking of the cheapest MT Hummer here - both SMK Stellar and MT Hummer are ECE 22.05 certified so that should not be an issue. SMK Stellar can be purchased for less than 3k, whereas MT Hummer costs above 5k iirc, hence smk is the cheapest good helmet with similar safety certification.

What differs between these helmets is the cost, look, brand and feature-set you want, which is a subjective choice and only you can make that.

For more info on ratings -

both SMK Stellar and MT Hummer are ECE 22.05
SMK's product catalogue shows Stellar is ECE 22.06 certified! Is this true? I've been long waiting for 22.06 helmets to upgrade. Kindly let me know if somehow this isn't true.
Couldn't find MT's catalogue though. Is this hummer discontinued and is now under a different name or something?

Anyway, just adding to what @xkcd0137 has shared, MT uses a poly carbonate shell which is slightly lighter than thermoplastic. So, technically has a less chance of causing a concussion, besides adding to comfort. Also, cheaper helmets usually cut corners by sharing the same shell with different sizes. So, depending on your size and the shell used, you might end up with a larger than necessary shell for the padding and foam. This would be less ideal in terms of both comfort and safety regardless of the certification, as it wouldn't be as snug-fit as it could've been.

Thanks for sharing FortNine's video @xkcd0137! This has been my most favourite channel for a long time and this is the first time I'm witnessing someone else sharing their videos. I'd recommend this video as well, as it covers info needed to purchase moto gear in general.

SMK's product catalogue shows Stellar is ECE 22.06 certified! Is this true? I've been long waiting for 22.06 helmets to upgrade. Kindly let me know if somehow this isn't true.
Couldn't find MT's catalogue though. Is this hummer discontinued and is now under a different name or something?
Omg, seems like it. They have got 22.06 as well. Will have to check if the stock has reached the stores though.

Afaik, in india Powersports is the official distributor for MT Helmets. You can check specs here - https://powersports.in/collections/mt-helmets/products/mt-hummer-scratch-motorcycle-helmet
Thanks for sharing FortNine's video @xkcd0137! This has been my most favourite channel for a long time and this is the first time I'm witnessing someone else sharing their videos.
Yeah, his videos have good quality content.

So smk ECE 22.06 certified helmets are better than current MT helmets in India? Currently i have a MT blade Alpha, will smk stellar be a good alternative to this?

My SMK steller just arrived. The color was not my first choice, it contemplates well with dark blue color of my scooter. This was the only one available in L size.

This will be used for longer rides while my SMK Cooper will cover for cities.

1684851504265.png

1684851585752.png

It does carry ECE R22-05 patch.
1684851718599.png

I used an LS2 and other brands before switching to MT and I would buy MT again. My helmet only weighs about 1300g, it's so much more comfortable in long rides than 1600g helmets.
Rating is important but so is your neck.

IMG_20211230_180920.jpg

Do they still have gpr helmets in india? I used to wear them back when i was in pune with RSA… highly recommend them. I should have been dead otherwise for those gpr helmets. But again go with snell or ece rating. Last year i had a serious paragliding accident and i was wearing mips rated ski helmet and lost consciousness and was bleeding from head. I am never wearing ski helmets again.

If you are serious about motorcycling then spend the extra money and get a good rated helmet. The money is definitely worth it.

Ps: isi rating is given by Pakistani ISI. :banghead:

MT make good helmets for the price, we unfortunately don't have many options even the entry level Bells and AGVs are super expensive and not worth it. As you can get similar quality helmet from MT or LS2 for much less. HJC is great but again overpriced here.

I have used both LS2 and MT for last 10 years and can say that the padding on MT is much better and does not loosen up like that on LS2. Also, I felt that MT helmet is sturdier yet lighter, has better airflow.

Is there a way verify 22.06 certification? I have heard LS2 were never really DOT certified. They made it up.
Which model? Not all LS2 models have DOT certification, only ECE Also I have never heard of that but they had a problem with fakes many years ago. But if you're buying from a reputed seller you should be good to go.

This ended up being a bummer, at least for me. My size large would most likely weigh 1600g, which is too much for me. Other 22.06 options like MT Thunder 4, Ignyte IGN 7 also weigh about the same.

I'm starting to think if I should just buy a decent helmet within 5k for the time being and save up for a really good one. I really like the design of Axor's Retro Moto-X and it has a fiberglass shell, which is surprising considering it is under 5k. Kindly let me know if there are any other options.

Thanks!

Back