Windows How is my windows activated?

nsas02

Disciple
I own a Asus ROG Strix laptop. I purchased it 1.5 years back. The laptop came with Windows 10 which I later upgraded to Windows 11. Now, many W11 settings are not working. For example: the display settings won't launch, it just shows a blank settings screen. Bluetooth will always show as Off, but can still connect to headphones and mouse. Many have faced these kind of issues and the many have got it fixed by reinstalling OS.

My query: Since my laptop came with Windows OS, how do I use the same activation code if I'm reinstalling my OS? Where can I find it? Currently I'm using my Outlook email id to login ( means, not a local account), should I use the same Outlook account after reinstalling the OS?

Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

how do I use the same activation code if I'm reinstalling my OS?
You don't. Just download the OS directly from Microsoft and install it using a bootable USB. It won't ask for a key and will be activated as soon as your system is back online.
Key is embedded in the motherboard BIOS, the HWID of the machine is stored in Microsoft's servers and is entitled to a digital activation. As long as mobo is same, you're always activated even without a key.

You don't. Just download the OS directly from Microsoft and install it using a bootable USB. It won't ask for a key and will be activated as soon as your system is back online.
Key is embedded in the motherboard BIOS, the HWID of the machine is stored in Microsoft's servers and is entitled to a digital activation. As long as mobo is same, you're always activated even without a key.
A question.
This does not happens on assembled PCs correct ?
But a microsoft login gets bind with 1st activation or license key is required everytime ?
https://account.microsoft.com/?ref=MeControl&refd=support.microsoft.com
this link shows I have an active license (key was bought on TE)
Also got a laptop windows 11 came installed with same, I used same MS login but that laptop does not appears on above link

A question.
But a microsoft login gets bind with 1st activation or license key is required everytime ?
Also got a laptop windows 11 came installed with same, I used same MS login but that laptop does not appears on above link
An OEM licence is locked to the first hardware it is installed on, so no it cannot be transferred to a new device
Llike branded desktops. But no one usess oems on assembled desktops else you are screwed up once parts get replaced esp. mobo.

An OEM licence is locked to the first hardware it is installed on, so no it cannot be transferred to a new device
Llike branded desktops. But no one usess oems on assembled desktops else you are screwed up once parts get replaced esp. mobo.
This is my 2nd PC where using same Windows key. (just using same monitor else everything else was new)
I deleted first PC from link mentioned above and added this new PC (kept bought names same..which should hardly matter)

No issues till date.

So I should choose 'I don't have a key' and continue installation. Then, once I login with my same Outlook account, it will be activated? Is my understanding correct?

So I should choose 'I don't have a key' and continue installation. Then, once I login with my same Outlook account, it will be activated? Is my understanding correct?
The setup should not ask you for a key at all (will read from the BIOS) unless you're installing an edition of Windows which didn't come pre-installed.
If laptop came with Win10 Home Single Language then install the same edition.

It can be done on almost any PC legally or illegally.
I'm using digital activation on all of my PCs and Laptops (which didn't come with windows pre-installed).

A Microsoft login is only needed in-case you want to ever transfer that activation from one PC to another. I have machines where I didn't ever login to a Microsoft account and activations are retained via HWID stored on MS servers.

1697742652734.png

So I will have to install W10 in that case, since my laptop came originally with W10, else I'll face issues with activation. Right?
Your version of Windows will not be removed.
The Reset process will just wipe Windows to the initial dataless state, Erases all files and settings made in Windows.

However, it will not affect the Windows version, this is only related to settings and files.
At the end of the process, you will reset your user and have Windows 11 totally clean to start again.

A question.
It works on assembled PCs as well. MS has a way of tracking every PC.

Back