Car & Bike Is xtra premium petrol really good compare to normal unleaded?

Hi TE,

Straight to the point i.e "Is xtra premium petrol really good compare to normal unleaded?" :huh: i am totally confused on this:S because when i asked ppl around some ppl says xtra premium petrol do give a performance boost and mileage increase and a better engine life!! is it really so? but some ppl says xtra premium petrol is nothing just a waste of money and giving extra money to government;) ppl also said xtra premium petrol doesn't give any performance boost nor any millage increase nor increase engine life....n some ppl says the xtra premium petrol decrease engine life :S now i wanna know from you guys that is xtra premium petrol really good fuel compare to normal ?so guys post ....i wanna know whats the voice on internet or TE on this topic :) and also i am especially asking for 2 wheelers or the Yamaha R15 :)

And also which fuel brand station you guys prefer?

1.Indian oil.

2.Bhart Petroleum .

3.Reliance (not found easily)

4.Shell (not found easily)

5.Hindustan petroleum

6.Essar. (not found easily)

it is supposed to have cleaning agents in the fuel which when used periodically cleans up the engine of the combustible sludge in the engine.

so if you want to use it effectively make it periodical then doing it regular.

its like washing clothes when they are dirty. if you keep them washing without wearing it they are not gonna look better. :)

ggt said:
it is supposed to have cleaning agents in the fuel which when used periodically cleans up the engine of the combustible sludge in the engine.

so if you want to use it effectively make it periodical then doing it regular.

its like washing clothes when they are dirty. if you keep them washing without wearing it they are not gonna look better. :)
thanks for the post.

ok i will use it periodically but can you give any idea of a time period or like in how much Kms?

and any specific brand you prefer for fueling? like i give few names in 1st post i.e OP.

I always refuel from shell petrol pump as its near from my place and its also cheaper than HP,BP etc now after the deregulation of petrol prices.

Head to xbhp and read for R15. R15 has a compression ratio > 1. Any engine that has a compression ratio of more than 1 can make better use of premium petrol.

I too have R15. With normal petrol I get avg in 30's. With extra it crosses 40's and no I am not joking.

It depends on the bike and the engine tuning.

With a Hero Honda Unicorn I could not find out any difference whatsoever.

With my old CBZ and my current Karizma there is a definite improvement but more so for the CBZ rather than the Karizma.

The engine becomes a bit smoother and top speed seems easier to reach. In city driving the difference is negligible for me.

@RS4 thanx for the post,but i don't have shell fuel pump near my place:( and i also heard that shell fuel is really good compare to other fuels but it decreases engine life because its hot in some sense (don't know the exact words)
@ultimabasher thanks for the post,i heard almost same words from yamaha service center,i also suppose it depends on engine that premium fuel is good for it or not but see 2nd post by ggt he says that regular use of premium fuel is not good.

@nishantgandhi what is this system G additive? you mean this system G additive is for car or bike?
@BF1983 thanks for the post, got your point :)

R15 is a special bike and has a special engine which is made to use such fuels (Explaining in the simplest possible words). Go on, I have been using it since 3k kms and there is no problem. I get better mileage, much higher pickup than other bikes.

Leaving aside additives in pump fuel, Premium unleaded petrol in general will provide better performance only in engines that can make use of it. This means the vast majority of vehicles in India will not benefit from it. In cars we find abroad, the engine ECM advances ignition timing (which in turn develops more power) till the engine's knock sensor starts detecting pre detonation, at which point the timing is not advanced any more. Occasionally, the ECM will try to advance the timing and will actually succeed if you've topped up with higher octane number (premium) fuel. Given that Indian fuel quality is not as good as overseas, the manufacturers don't have this kind of "adaptive" ECM and so cannot take advantage of the better quality fuel even if you use it. The only arguable benefit would be from additives that clean the engine.

EDIT: The above is true only for high performance engines that have compression ratios of around 9:1 or higher. "Lesser" engines like what we find on "people movers" generally don't have adaptive ECMs even abroad.

ultimabasher said:
R15 is a special bike and has a special engine which is made to use such fuels (Explaining in the simplest possible words). Go on, I have been using it since 3k kms and there is no problem. I get better mileage, much higher pickup than other bikes.

hmmmmm will try what you said:) and what about fuel station brand? what you prefer and is their any difference in mileage and performace with different bands?

@Happy Singh

The general advisory for using these Cleansing additive fuel is Getting one tankful after 2-3 tankfuls of regular petrol.

The cleansing agents are to be used periodically for effective cleansing of the injectors to take place.

Too frequent usage renders the additives less effective as that becomes the norm for the motor vehicle's system.

On my RTR 160.

0-60 KMPH I find no difference when I use Normal/Extra Premium fuel,

60+ I feel the bike is little more smooth with Extra Premium/Power/Shell reaching that 100 or 110 Kmph.

On Mileage: I have got usually same 45-50Kmpl. No major difference between fuels.

(I usually get to reserve then Fill up my tank, So can make out the difference easily. Bike Odo@ 42500Km now)

i thought you were referring it for cars. for bikes though i have limited knowledge but i dont think these premium fuels make full use of it unless they are high performance sBK

Last I remember Shell normal was equal to BP/HP premium. But Shell normal in itself is very pure. Nothing beats Shell premium besides Reliance which is the purest you get

I always do a full tank refuel at Shell. I prefer shell cos they don't cheat. There are a lot of bunks in Bangalore where you don't get the quantity you pay for. I usually go for the shell super unleaded which retails at Rs.60.60. It does give me better mileage than the regular shell, although it mostly depends on the way you drive.

Back