Isn't it unfortunate that the home music systems are totally gone and......

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
I like to hear music, am not an audiophile but like to listen good decent quality stuff..

Always owned one or the other music systems from Panasonic, Sony...
My last Sony music system was of 150rms bought way back in 2008 and I just disposed it 3 years back as it was not in use that much owing to my busy schedule and it had developed usual issues that all music systems developed if you don't put them to use no matter how much care you do.

I am now surprised that since past few years the good ol music systems have vanished and all you see around are those bloody party dabbas as if every one is partying now... Wth...

I know one can arrange a decent system by opting for an amp, and some good speakers and if one wants a player... But they all cost a bomb...

I forayed into many things,
got a decent blaupunkt soundbar (150w) with subwoofer and attached a Google chromecast audio to it and it sounded nice... But thats not a music system tbh

Bought another soundbar recently for another tv and its also good ,,, but that longing for that good old living room music system hasn't gone....

I have been trying to find something below 15k...

Wanted to ask following from all of you here
(Please note headphones, earphones aren't something I am looking for or like.)

1.. What do you guys use,to listen to your music ( wattage, brand, setup, cost)

2... What do you guys suggest can be a decent budget option for decent listening pleasure, I like Good thumping bass and nice clear high notes, appropriate mids..
My genre is varied, ghazals, english pop, unfian classical, indian dhoom dhadaka Bollywood ones...

3.. I am in delhi and Lajpat rai market at red fort has huge no of shops where they sell assembled amps, speakers, boards, bluetooth boards, 5.1 boards and practically everything, but nothing mainstream branded, their own assembled stuff...( most of the items are meant for tier 2 and 3 areas it looks)
If anyone has any experience from that place, can you suggest a shop or brand from there, which has good quality, decently looking music systems etc. ( they are making high quliaty dj setups and party speakers and are very cheap in cost).

I watched many youtube videos and their party speakers look kinna shabby sort but haven't head anything personally... If the audio quliaty is great I can compromise on looks as long as there are all bells & whistles available.

4... Can i look for something branded if yes then what are the options out there....

Saw a guy selling z623 logitech on olx, is it good??! But there is no BT or remote or hdmi input... May be I can arrange external bt device to use with it hence mini. Using hassel of remote as well... Provided z623 actually sounds good...

Do let me know
Thanks

Last edited:
Edifier, swans etc have decent 2.0 systems but if you're looking for bass you need a sub. Edifer has a decent 10k sub which leaves you 5k for amp and speakers. I wouldn't bother too much about integrated BT. Bt codecs, standards, codecs change every year, so no point in buying something that will be obsolete in a year.

PS: i still use a good old fashioned music system with a subwoofer
PXL_20220325_044245969.jpg

I like to hear music, am not an audiophile but like to listen good decent quliaty stuff..

Always owned one or the other music systems from Panasonic, Sony...
My last Sony music system was of 150rms bought way back in 2008 and I just disposed it 3 years back as it was not in use that much owing to my busy schedule and it had developed usual issues that all music systems developed if you don't put them To use no matter how much care you do.

I am now surprised that since past few years the good ol music systems have vanished and all you see around are those bloody party dabbas as if every one is partying now... Wth...

I know one can arrange a decent system by opting for an amp, and some good speakers and if one wants a player... But they all cost a bomb...

I forayed into many things,
got a decent blaupunkt soundbar (150w) with subwoofer and attached a Google chromecast audio to it and it sounded nice... But thats not a music system tbh

Bought another soundbar recently for another tv and its also good ,,, but that longing for that good old living room music system hasn't gone....

I have been trying to find something below 15k...

Wanted to ask following from all of you here
(Please note headphones, earphones aren't something I am looking fir or like.)

1.. What do you guys use to to listen to your music ( wattage brand setup cost)

2... What do you guys suggest can be a decent budget option for decent listening pleasure, I like hood thumping bass and nice high notes,
My genre is varied, ghazals, english pop, unfian classical, indian dhoom dhadaka Bollywood ones...

3.. I am in delhi and Lajpat rai market at red fort has huge no of shops whete they sell assembled amps, speakers, boarfs, bluetooth boards, 5.1 boards and practically everything, but nothing mainstream branded, their own add led stuff... If anyone has any experience from that place, can you suggest a shop or brand from there, which has good quliaty, good looking music systems etc. ( they are making high quliaty dj setups and party speakers and are very very very cheap in cost).

I watched many youtube videos and pary speakers look kinna shabby sort but haven't head anything personally... If the audio quliaty is great I can compromise on looks as long as there are all bells & whistles available.

4... Can i look for something braanded if yes then what are the options out there....
Saw a guy selling z623 logitech on olx, is it good??! But there is no BT or remote or hdmi input...

Do let me know
Thanks
What happened ? Got tired of your Mivi ? You may want to go through the suggestions in the same thread you posted last year as they still hold good -
Bottomline : You need to invest moolah for good sound otherwise forget it.

I bought an F&D E200 3W 2.0 Channel Wired Soundbar - Black for 1.4k which is my cheapest sound setup ever. I used to have Logitech Z313 2.1 speakers before but sold them off.

speakers bought in 1997 only changed the system that came along with it (got a used one)since it developed problems.
That looks nice. JVC is more popular than I thought. As shown in your image, I have the same -
- Anchor Multi Plug.

Last edited:
Spend most of the money on the speakers, they matter the most. You will get nice entry level passive bookshelf speakers in 20-35K range. You will need an amplifier to power them
If you do not want the complications of amplifiers, look for Active speakers, however limits your flexibility for future upgrades. This is a nice one

F&D has quite a few old school music system kind of speakers.

The popularity of these have gone down because of soundbars and bluetooth speakers. And since a lot of casual PC users have switched to laptops, these speakers don't sell as much for PCs either. Not to mention, despite TVs still having average sound quality, they are much better than TVs of yesteryears. Combined with the fact that you can now play songs directly on TV (using youtube or Gaana apps), the need for a music system is just not there anymore.

People want minimalistic stuff now-a-days! I was recently talking to a guy who repairs AV equipment and he was saying people he knows (he lives in a posh neighborhood) have sold high end equipment (the likes of B&W) and have opted for sound bars, etc. I have friends who complain how wires/speakers for a 5.1 HT is something his wife would not allow.

People want minimalistic stuff now-a-days! I was recently talking to a guy who repairs AV equipment and he was saying people he knows (he lives in a posh neighborhood) have sold high end equipment (the likes of B&W) and have opted for sound bars, etc. I have friends who complain how wires/speakers for a 5.1 HT is something his wife would not allow.
Convenience and aesthetics above everything else sadly!

@JMak I will recommend entry level studio monitors. Mackie/PreSonus/JBL.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I opted for better headphones and earphones and dacs than speakers, amplifiers etc. A decent pair of headphones at even 30% volume is loud enough and no need to think of bothering neighbours or anyone in family.

I'm in the same boat. I opted for better headphones and earphones and dacs than speakers, amplifiers etc. A decent pair of headphones at even 30% volume is loud enough and no need to think of bothering neighbours or anyone in family.
For stereo content personal audio is a good alternative. But if you like multi-channel audio I don't think headphones/earphones cut it.

For stereo content personal audio is a good alternative. But if you like multi-channel audio I don't think headphones/earphones cut it.
Also if you want to enjoy a movie with friends/family, headphones are not an option. I often watch TV/movies with my wife. So can't use headphones.

Putting NAS on top of speakers is not a good idea. The vibration from speakers probably won't be good for the hard drives.

The sound won't be a problem for drives, now if you have a very powerful magnet and stick a bare drive next to it, that could be a problem.

To the topic, people still buy music systems for their home, it's just that most buy "systems" that are very small and laden with features rather than capability. There is a niche segment that still buys regular speakers but of course it is much smaller than the mass market audio products, this is the case with most countries I'd imagine where people care about cheap,small,convenient and easy to use and something that "fits" into their life, this typically means products that have good connectivity with phones and something that is mobile. Most people care about the "frills", not the core of a product these days.

Look at Edifier 1855db, the price has increased by quite some in the last year. See if you can find it somewhere under 15k.

It is an amazing 2.0 bookshelf speaker.
Hopefully, this one reply will serve for the others as well

I like hood thumping bass and nice high notes,
So at a minimum, he wants a 2.1 and not 2.0 which everybody here seems to recommend.

3rd party BT adapters are available so having BT is not essential. But it will add to the cost

1855db has a sub out and goes really well with Edifier T5 for those who like bass.

I stopped using Edifier T5 with my 1855db and then soon after disconnected the T5 as I felt that 1855db has plenty of bass for my requirements.

Hopefully, this one reply will serve for the others as well

So at a minimum, he wants a 2.1 and not 2.0 which everybody here seems to recommend.

3rd party BT adapters are available so having BT is not essential. But it will add to the cost
Thing is simple entry level 2.0 studio monitors can sound better than typical 2.1 "Pc speakers"

Back