ISP without FUP

Couple of hours almost every other week. I do need to check the equipment once since there is some anecdotal evidence that the problem started after we changed the router and they installed the FTTH.

If that is from them then that is really bad, I get downtimes maybe 3-4 times a year. Usually a day or two, that too after rain/storms.

+1

I rarely cross 300GB.
And I barely make it even 200 per month..
If that is from them then that is really bad, I get downtimes maybe 3-4 times a year. Usually a day or two, that too after rain/storms.
The best part about big brand ISPs is that most of the time its the entire area/region affected and not just a lone user.
Few weeks ago on one day I had a tough time with TATA and when I ringed in the engineer he said entire city is down! This itself gives a major sigh of relief rather then running through all those needless fiddling with settings and troubleshooting crap!

In delhi, i've one broadband fiber line via a local cable company & I've used over 4tb during lockdown hoarding stuff via torrent. Can say unlimited? Also i pay only 800 for 300mbps.

I am in Coimbatore. Skylink is quite nice. No FUP limit. I have subscribed to their 300mbps plan and the speeds are quite consistent.

Update.

Got Alliance, tested it, seems to be no FUP but they block ports. Asked them to open it and they refused. So the no FUP is basically useless. Speeds (downloads) are about 50-60% of advertised speeds. Uploads are far lower. Obviously I won't be renewing. Note, they are extremely rude people. Airtel is apathetic, these people are rude.

Now trying out Wishnet.

Still have Airtel as backup.

Update.

Tried Wishnet. Been using it for two months. I mentioned my issues before taking their connection and they assured me that they will be done. The local cable operator was responsive,polite and helpful. He offered that he will install the connection and if the ports remain blocked he will not charge me anything. The Wishnet people came, now the engineer wasn't very smart and he kept talking on the phone and nothing needed to be done from my end, but eventually they opened the ports. Now for anyone interested you need to take a Biz plan for them to do this. So the ports were opened finally after about two days.

In 2 months of use I have had no down time, on occasion the box they supplied had to be restarted as the connection dropped. After restarting it worked. I asked the cable operator to replace the box with a new one and he did, after that no drops. Speed is dependent on source. If you connect to high speed servers it went upto 90% of download speed and upload was upto 50% sometimes earlier but these days it seems to be lower. In 2 months the total traffic per month (download and upload) averaged 29TB so that's fine. Happy with the service, no need to change.

Airtel is still there as backup.

Using Threesa Broadband, a local service provider fiber connection 200 Mbps Unlimited plan with no FUP. (Same Download/Upload speed).
Paying annually Rs 5,664 which works out to Rs 472 per month.

Using Alliance broadband in Kolkata for 10 years approx.
I find they have made significant improvement in quality and service.
I pay Rs. 6136 yearly for 125 mbps connection.
Never faced any FUP. Sometimes my monthly usages goes up till 4TB approx.
If I recall correctly they have some incoming port blocking for residential connection earlier. To open the ports purchasing static IP was required. Not sure about the current status.

If I recall correctly they have some incoming port blocking for residential connection earlier. To open the ports purchasing static IP was required. Not sure about the current status
what kind of port opening/ blocked are you referring to?. what is the use case for opening those ports?

what kind of port opening/ blocked are you referring to?. what is the use case for opening those ports?
For example if you want to create CS server you would not be able to as Alliance will block the incoming connection to your ports.
Similarly if you are running some FTP server/web application you will not be able to connect from outside network.

If I recall correctly they have some incoming port blocking for residential connection earlier. To open the ports purchasing static IP was required. Not sure about the current status.

I bought their static IP etc and then they refused to open the ports.

I bought their static IP etc and then they refused to open the ports.
Not sure what is the issue from their side. As I never required to open ports so do not have much experience on this. Otherwise I did not face much issue other than few minor ones. I am getting advertised speeds as well. Also in one of the recent issue that I was having during pandemic they proactively done a lot of things to fix it. Even came to my house late night at 11:00 PM to help. I guess the service quality depends a lot on the local supplier but I have seen lot of improvement over the years.
Have you tried their SME connection?

Last edited:
Not sure what is the issue from their side. As I never required to open ports so do not have much experience on this. Otherwise I did not face much issue other than few minor ones. I am getting advertised speeds as well. Also in one of the recent issue that I was having during pandemic they proactively done a lot of things to fix it. Even came to my house late night at 11:00 PM to help. I guess the service quality depends a lot on the local supplier but I have seen lot of improvement over the years.

They didn't offer any SME connection, they had a "biz" plan and when I inquired what was the difference all they said was the normal plans come with some OTT and the biz plans don't. They really aren't a big/professional outfit like Airtel, same for Wishnet. I had asked Airtel for a leased line but they didn't want to install it at my residence, they wanted to install it at my office. I was willing to pay full offer price. Wishnet works out much cheaper and does what I need.

It comes down to the area with Alliance, since it depends on the local guys. For the most part, they're mediocre, at best.

My friend stays in Picnic Garden (Kolkata) and has had Alliance for close to 10 years, as well. Their services are pretty garbage, even today, especially when it comes to customer support. They still use an archaic login system which crashes half the time, with random disconnects. He's still with it because it's a backup connection for his family and is on the 500 plan.

When he took the connection all those years back, internet plans were expensive with mediocre speeds, with a very small FUP limit (I remember my Airtel connection in 2012 was 2 Mbps with an FUP of 7GB, and I was paying 800/month). The selling point of providers like Alliance was peering on torrents, where in certain cases, your speeds would be quadrupled.

These days it doesn't matter since speeds are vastly improved, and it's not like Alliance is any cheaper. INR 1500/month on Alliance these days gives you 250 Mbps. I get 300 (+20%) for the same price on Airtel.

No FUP, though.

Last edited:
Back