Monitors LCD Monitors

tbf

Disciple
Sometime back Acer had released India's first sub 10k LCD monitor.Yesterday I came to know BenQ 15" available for 9400. I'm thinking of buying one.

Do you have first hand experiences with different LCD monitors? What brand/model do you recommend? How is the Samsung?

Maybe Anish can tell you as he has got a Samsung LCD Monitor.
The Cheap LCD monitors dont know how much they are worth but cant comment on it as i havent used it.

well dont expect too much from these sub 10k monitors. if you want really good readability get something that has dvi.

anyway have a look at lg as wel since they are pretty decent.

Cheap LCD panels are not worth it. More often than not they'll be 6bit panels with only D-Sub(VGA) input. This means sharpness suffers cos of lack of DVI and color reproduction suffers cos of the 8bit to 6bit dithering. For 10K you can get a good quality 19" (non flat) CRT instead.

^ yeah good point. think most of the benqs and all those low response time panels are all 6 bit

Ther is not a single 15" model in India with dvi input except hp which is priced at 27000.
i have read reviews at TOMSHARDWARE that the output with dvi is not that better than vga that one believes it would be.
LG is not that good even with the much hyped "f-engine".
And thanks for the 6-bit info. i had never heard of it before.

tbf posted 2.33 minutes later:

How is viewsonic? The response times are a bit on the higher side.

yeah f-engine wasnt worth all the hype. but i wasnt talking about that , i'm using a 2.5 year old 15" lg and its pretty decent. i use a samsung 173p now and the text is a lot sharper with dvi.

well dont expect too much from these sub 10k monitors. if you want really good readability get something that has dvi.
What about those people who never use the DVI input..For my budget PC i would power it with an Intel p4 3.0 GHZ and Intel 915 GAV.. I would never get a seperate PCI graphics card - since i do not do gaming at all..( have heard that 915 GMA is decent for normal work and some low end old gaming..)

So in such cases the DVI for the LCD will never be used..since only AGP/PCI graphic cards have DVI out.. so there won't be any point spending extra 1-2k for DVI..

(..BTW i am thinking of Samsung 710n or Dell Ultrasharp 1704fp...the first one does NOt have DVI.)

Thanks,

i have the Samsung Syncmater 710n.. the 17" LCD.... DVI/VGA doesnt make such a lot of diff.. just abt 4-5%... i'd suggest go for Samsung ONLY if ur buying an LCD... Samsungs just rock in their picture quality...if ur buying the 15" Samsung one go for 510n and not 152s

May issue of Digit carried detailed test reports of 15" and 17" LCD monitors including Samsung 510N , Samsung was nowhere near the top in performance, but their dead pixel policy rocks. if there is a single dead pixel in the first 6-months , they will replace the unit.
In the 17" category, I beleive Samsung is the best.

@tbf...

Digit reviews suck! i mean they rated CMV as the best.... ask any one... ask any dealer about CMV's quality and they'll tell you...

Last edited by a moderator:
They didn't rate CMV as the best , they had only choosen cmv and acer as "best buys" since their prices are low.
They rated BenQ and Viewsonic as the best performers.

Well, I own a LG 15" LCD, and as far as image quality or anything else is concerned, I am really satisfied. In gaming I would rate it at 7/10, and the Auto screen adjustment needs to be used everytime you change from normal desktop work to movies or gaming.

16ms RT and very very little ghosting visible.

I highly recommend this monitor.

Back