Monitors new 17" monitor - what say

C

casablanca

umm looking for a new 17" monitor. Have got 14"inch to put to trash now :eek:hyeah: (and am still getting 1.8k for it after 5 years )

anyway have a choice right now between lg and samsung models(normal CRT). I am myself not too enthu about the flatscreen stuff between them. Looks pretty much ok to me even the non flat models. So now between them tell which i should go for....
These are available:
LG 700E
samsung 793S

looks like samsung is better but plz tell.
thanks

yaa i heard that too.. looks like fedora has a problem with resolutions with this one..(LG) if you increse beyong 800res that is.. but there was a driver fix around.

SuperNova said:
yaa i heard that too.. looks like fedora has a problem with resolutions with this one..(LG) if you increse beyong 800res that is.. but there was a driver fix around.
All you need to fix that is specify the modeline in the xorg.conf file and then X uses the corresponding res/color depth/refresh.

700s has the anti-glare screen i reckon... what is the price difference between 700E and S?
Also would that mean LG is better.... ?? Cos on many other places people are saying samsung is better in image quality.

isn't 793s a flat screen btw??
and i was looking for a good monitor around too but have to say these flat screen and the normal ones don't really have that mucho difference between them. Atleast not enough to dish out an extra 2k.

For samsung,, i dunno about monitors but there hdd's and drives are horrible. got 2 trashed drives to support that.
But tht doesn't mean monitors may be like that.. thats a seperate division of samsung.

Are u talking about the LG E700S/E flatrons?
I have one.
It sux.
Compare it to the non flat Samsungs I have seen and cry.
This thing doesn't look crisp no matter what resolution I run it at. And it has SEVERE lines type thingies (u know, the mark of all flat screens).

I suggest u go with Samsung 'coz my friend uses samsung 56V monitors in all of his PCs in his cybercafe! Tell you what, but he has not faced any probs since the last 3.6 years. (Well, 3.6 yrs = 3 + 1/2) :p

frankly i have known people who have not faced any probs with LG too(take me.. my lg 14" served flwlessly for 5 years).. but i get the feeling LG is not a good choice right now

Guys most people miss the point-its about Image Quality rather than the montior going bust.Less moire,screen regulation,color reproduction should be the criteria while deciding on a good monitor.On that score,Samsung is hopeless.Philips/LG non-flat ones are better.
Best is LG flatron though.
Going to get my fourth philips replacement in as many months. :rofl:

why dont u see the new acer monitor mentioned in digit april
i think its acer AC715
it not true flat its like the samsung and lg but i dont know about after sales service of acer

I havent faced any problems as such with my LG E700S flatron.
But the monitor sucks when it comes to IQ. It purely sucks.
You will cry if you see IQ of Philips 107 C6 and then compare it to LG.
The geometry is poor even after adjusting the screen controls.
Philips also has much much better antiglare screen. Dosent hurt eyes 1 bit.
I find it more comfertable then LG and Samsung.
I somehow dont trust samsung anymore. But even when it comes to qualiuty Philips monitor is as pleasent as my LCD screen i use in my HT PC.

Back