Camera Nikon D3100 or Canon 1100D ?

Supra

Skilled
Well need an entry-level DSLR
Cheap lens is a must, so looking forward to the Canon 1100D more even though its performance is a bit of a let down and the built quality utter plasticity.

D3100 is slightly more exp (2k more) than 1100D as well. Video performance is non-issue as 720p is more than enuf and I will rather take 1080p with a mobile camera than with a DSLR :p
Plz pour in your opinions :p

I'll stick with Aces' suggestion in the main DSLR thread: Stick with the Canon. The importance of an in-body auto focus motor cannot be stressed enough. The 3100 doesn't have one.

Well my thoughts here : (take it with a pinch of salt as I am a nikon user :) )

Canon 1100D : good sensor, no AF problems with low cost lenses.

Cons : not ergonomic to use, specially if you have big palms like me, built quality okayish.

Nikon D3100 : good ergonomics (imho this has to be the first point you should consider, as if camera does not fit well in your hands you will get tired quickly), god l light and high iso performance, big and better viewfinder

con : biggest point against this and D5100 is their inability to AF with low end prime lenses (specially cheap 50mm f/1.8) if you can afford 11-12k newer prime than this handicap is also removed.

Equipments does not matter as such, the person and the vision of the person matters the most.

Take the decision by heart, not by brain.

Canon has better brand recall in general Indian public.

If you happen to be a member of active city photogrpahy group you can always test the equipment before jumping in specially lenses.

dont go for higher bodies, if you dont have budget, if you are new to DSLR, just enjoy what you purchase. Aces170 takes good snaps with his 1000D so nothing wrong about it.

Better still if you are not averse to second hand deals, look around jjm forums and you can snatch some really wonderful deals which will allow you to fit in better spects.

Doc Canon has improved ergonomics with 600D and 1100D, its visibly better then the previous rebel bodies. I would say spend a lil more and get a 550D, trust me the cheap 50mm is indispensable. I would not recommend the Nikon lower end bodies, however if you are getting a good deal on a used D90 grab it :)

I have a 1000D, and yep ergonomics are not the best, but if you have not handled any DSLR earlier it wont be that much of a bother :p

Doc Canon has improved ergonomics with 600D and 1100D, its visibly better then the previous rebel bodies. I would say spend a lil more and get a 550D, trust me the cheap 50mm is indispensable. I would not recommend the Nikon lower end bodies, however if you are getting a good deal on a used D90 grab it :)

I have a 1000D, and yep ergonomics are not the best, but if you have not handled any DSLR earlier it wont be that much of a bother :p

Thanks for pouring in all the feedback guys :D

Actually getting the Canon 110D with IS lens kit + 4GB Card + Canon Bag for arnd 26000 shipped. FREE Sandisk 16GB SD Card and Osaka MCUV Filter as well. So if its decent enough and since its my 1st DSLR dont wanna spend too much. 550D is as costly as 36k or so and is completely out of budget. As of Nikon D3100 is the IQ at high ISOs and indoor shots with dim lights as good as 550D ?

Even I was interested in Nikon D3100 and it will be mine first DSLR.

@supra please let me know here what you purchase and maybe I will go for the same :p

Nikon D3100 + lens is available @ 24-25k in Bangalore whereas it for 29k in Delhi :(

^^ I own a 550D, IMO with the kit lens, the IQ is okaish in low light condition; but if you use the 50mm prime, IQ is quite good in the same light condition. I have tried my hands on D3000, and D3100 also, and with the kit lens on, I have found the IQ to be much better.

As of Nikon D3100 is the IQ at high ISOs and indoor shots with dim lights as good as 550D ?

I have not really used a Nikon D3100, but at the Surat meet, I checked ISO 3200 performance on a 550D and a D90, and I could hardly make any difference between the two (The D90 might edge out to pixel peepers). The D5100 has a superior D7000's sensor but I doubt D3100's sensor would be better then D90. (Check out sample images at Dpreview at ISO 1600 and 3200, anything above is useless on a crop sensor).

Ayanavish: That's because the Nikon kitlens are slightly better then Canon kit lens.

@Aces170 : i have not seen any 1100D in action, but yes on 600D the ergonomics are much better, yesterday only I compared with my D90 and a friends 550D but still to my preference D90 is much better on ergonomics.

@Supra : 1100D is really a good choice, you wont regret it :)

Now an offer of 34k for the EOS 550D from a very reliable place with some freebies have my mind in circles again :p

Nikon prices r gng through the roof every week ....its almost 27k nw :mad:..so D3100 at that price is mostly out.

Tried out with all the three 1100D, 550D , D3100 in the weekend , and must say the 1100D is built so bad...even worse than my Panny FZ8K...if I buy that my wifey will say its a toy camera for that price and not a DSLR. Seriosly next u see from Canon is 1200D with 200gm weight and China mobile plastics...even if t takes pics as good as D90 , at least some detailing is required in body and ergonomics . Canon is known for its cost cutting in printers and now in cameras :mad:...ppl dont buy Tata Manza's even though it has awesome engine, features, etc but a horrible design and service...why is people even recommeding a 1100D here ...I guess we dont have much of a choice in entry level DSLRs...even used market is not as good with ppl expecting 70% of value for 2-3 yr old bodies !!!

grab that 34k 550D, way better than 25k 1100D or 27k D3100.

Nikon prices are going through the roof for the same reason WD and other HDD prices are going up, the floods in Thailand.

supra, try looking in ebay for a good deal on 550D. I got mine for 31490 (though the dealer removed the 4Gb SD & the bag ) and not to mention that i got the nokia c2-03 along with it :p

^^ Pass me the dealer name and contact no if possible :p

Also $ rate in Sept was arnd 46 or so...nw its 52 !! so even 32k would be impossible nw :(

@ Gannu--- Coupon doesn't work with DOW items :(

I am using the D3100 and I am very satisfied with the performance. It's better than the Canon in most ways. I bought mine from Letsbuy @29k with tripod, 16gb card, bag

Back