Panasonic TX-P42G10 FullHD Plasma 2ms Input Lag...Comment before I spend my cash....

Infected

Skilled
Hi,

After going thru all thats available, I think I will be getting me another
plasma VIERA TH-P42G10D , none of the LCD's still impress me in my budget of 65K. I did look at the Sony,
but somehow I am still not convinced of getting a LCD over this plasma.

If any one has any suggestions or comments before I pick this up, please post here. I intend to connect this one to the PC, and will mainly be used for gaming, my other LG plasma has been gifted to my Dad and he doesn't need FullHD for Discovery Channel.
What I like the most about this after reading the reviews are:
"the gamer in me was delighted to hear the company's executives actively promote the fact that these latest displays, apparently, only have 2ms of input lag."
And ofcourse FullHD plasma for about 60K

REVIEWS
Please Comment before I spend my life's savings...

Re: Panasonic TX-P42G10 FullHD Plasma 2ms Input Lag...Comment before I spend my cash.

One of the best plasma available in India. Next only to Pioneer Kuro

Re: Panasonic TX-P42G10 FullHD Plasma 2ms Input Lag...Comment before I spend my cash.

its the best available in the world

after the kuros....

i own one ... go n buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^ Sir Ji,

How is the performance connacted it to a PC?

only thru HDMI is it fullHD? not an issue I have enough HDMI cables but how is it as a monitor?

the TV is awesome. one of the best TVs on the planet and certainly unbeatable in the price range. there is but one issue of flickering @ 1080p 60hz input. it needs a firmware update and i contacted panasonic India but they reacted to this like they'd seen a ghost. the word firmware seemed to scare them somehow :eek:hyeah:

thankfully none of the games r close to being 1080p 60fps anytime soon, well maybe except for GT5 :p

blu-rays and everything else works flawlesslly

since the sets we get are closest to the european pana ones (not the UK) i thought the euro firmware would work on my tv too. haven't had the balls to try out yet :D

^^ have you connected it to a PC.

Is it true only via HDMI can one get 1080p for this set and not thru DVi? Does it flicker at 1080 via HDMI for PC connection as well...?

AFAIK, all the plasmas and LCD's have a fixed resolution under VGA connection that is usually 720p. I auditioned a full HD [not entirely sure whether it is the same] in the Panasonic showroom and I remembed looking at the manual that said it supports only 720p under VGA. However if your GC has HDMI input I don't see any issues of you able to output 1080p images from your PC to this model.

All said, excellent model.

What is the exact on store price of this model?

I agree.. if you can live with Heat generated & light reflection if it is well lit room then Plasma is the Way to Go! Beats the crap out of LCD with its color reproduction

^^ what you are saying is correct this is limited to 720p for VGA connection my GPU has HDMI so thats not an issue but I have heard of flickering in this model at 1080 at 24p or something thats why I want to know how it performs connected to a PC via HDMI....

Yes I love a plasma over a LCD, Refresh rate, input lag, deeper black are the pros of a Plasma, where a LCD cant come close. Already have a plasma but that not fullHD thats why looking at this one....

neoronin said:
AFAIK, all the plasmas and LCD's have a fixed resolution under VGA connection that is usually 720p. I auditioned a full HD [not entirely sure whether it is the same] in the Panasonic showroom and I remembed looking at the manual that said it supports only 720p under VGA. However if your GC has HDMI input I don't see any issues of you able to output 1080p images from your PC to this model.

All said, excellent model.

hmm.. i'd suggest you try this out in the store yourself. take a lappy and let them have it :p

geeky_78 said:
What is the exact on store price of this model?

I agree.. if you can live with Heat generated & light reflection if it is well lit room then Plasma is the Way to Go! Beats the crap out of LCD with its color reproduction

i dunno why the heat would bother anyone. you're not gonna be sitting just behind the TV or very near in front either. :bleh:

the light reflection is a non issue as our rooms would obv not be lit enough, atleast not anywhere close to the stores. and that is why the plasmas shine at home :eek:hyeah:

Infected said:
^^ what you are saying is correct this is limited to 720p for VGA connection my GPU has HDMI so thats not an issue but I have heard of flickering in this model at 1080 at 24p or something thats why I want to know how it performs connected to a PC via HDMI....

Yes I love a plasma over a LCD, Refresh rate, input lag, deeper black are the pros of a Plasma, where a LCD cant come close. Already have a plasma but that not fullHD thats why looking at this one....

:chair:

the flickering is only at 1080p 60hz. 24p etc. all run perfect. sin city in blu-ray was an absolute joy to watch. yes :rofl:

edit : typos :rant:

IMO wait for G20 no use buying a product that is going to be EOL.
the newer panasonic have slightly better SD playback and better blacks.

although you must be aware that many panasonic owners are reporting the set to loose it blacks levels after few hundred hrs of use,in some case its worse then a el cheapo TN lcd monitor.

now regarding the blacks in a plasma one can notice those deep blacks only in a dark room ,such that the light source is behind the tv,a plasma tv in day time can never be as black as a lcd if the light source is in front of the tv or front left/right of the tv.due to glare one immediately looses the black levels and the overall contrast resulting in washed out colors.

for gaming again plasma aren't as sharp and crisp as a lcd,due to the nature of their design.
finally plasmas tvs suffer from ABL their brightness can be as low as 1/3rd their peak brightness when the majority of the screen is showing whites or any bright light shaded color.

the areas where plasma have the edge is motion,viewing angle,while black levels of most plasma are really good better then IPS based lcds and some VA based lcds,not all plasmas have better blacks like the one from lg/samsung.

again with marathon gaming again you can be quite annoyed with IR.

^^ Adder you are right I rather wait for the G20 it should be here soon. As I want to be sure not to run into issues when i spending my monthly income in one go, and my primary usage is PC and gaming.

Though I agree that there is a lot of glare in plasmas my viewing time is only at night and my room gets not much light anyway.

If I am not satsfied with the "panny", I will surly take the EX series with MotionFlow 100Hz from Sony, but till now I have still prefered plasmas output as compared to a LCD.

This I am talking about comparing 2 LG LCD and LG Plasma at home next to each other (@ default settings), the LCD pictures just don't look nice enough to me for some reason, I cant exactly point out why, and this is while running both the sets via a PC. I am sure there would be difference if I tested a Samsung or Sony LCD since they are better but by how much compared to the LG LCD. This I am saying is without even considering the input lag or anything this is just what my eyes see.

Thats why I am looking at a plasma, I mean you guys should also compare them, connect a LCD and a Plasma and watch a Bluray movie, and you will know what I am talking about, the difference is quite there.

But then again, everyone is different :)

Have a great day...

^Now that's a good LCD - the EX500 from Sony. If you can wait a bit more, Sony would introduce their EX600/700 lineup with LED and LED + 100Hz tech respectively. About time LED tvs have started becoming the defacto standard in the LCD industry.

You have a 42incher pdp already. Why another one which'd just give you full hd display over the older one?

The samsung and sony lcds are significantly better then the LG lcds with respect to SD content ,motion and the contrast i.e much better blacks.

also if you are comparing a lg FHD lcd to a HD ready plasma,then the lcd will highlight the drawback of the SD source .so one needs to compare a FHD lcd to a FHD plasma.even then the lcds tend to show more of drawbacks of the poor source then the plasma because of its sharper nature.

@ infected.. if your primary use is PC and gaming a quality LCD would be better for u. not that the plasma is any slouch in the matter but the most significant advantage of the plasma is in viewing real life sources, like movies n stuff, which the LCDs and the 'LEDs' just artificialize (that's not really a word :p )

so if you're not gonna enjoy the biggest plus of the plasma why take the drawbacks of the tech? go for a good LCD, it should serve your purpose better.

also i doubt the G20 is gonna show up anytime soon. the G10 hasn't become any cheaper and it showed up in october last year when ww it was available a few months before. my guess would again be october for the G20. also.. has any1 tried the V10? not really sure if it was ever available in 42", atleast officially.

also.. most reviews i've read are stating that the black levels are about the same (infact OOB, the G10 carried the better black levels :D ) though a couple of features like USB recording have been added and better SD processig. nothing to make the current owners feel that they were left..er.. hangin' ;)

V10 was and should be available for - i remember 1lac 30 when i bought my g10

.....now the V20 is out for 2010 ...the 42" in that is for 73K.

UPdate: Bought the v20.

hi friends i have finalised 42 g10 as my next tv .what is its price with bill and warranty. panasonic is now giving 3 years warranty

Back