Playing content via VLC on Android TV via my Win 10 PC using SMB - Issues.

Futureized

Skilled
PC is connected via Ethernet to router, Android TV running using 2.4 GHz band from router, I had my PC connected via SMB, things were working fine till day.
I tried to clear media database, clear app data, clear playback history, also did quit and restart application, Now it wont connect to PC.

PC name is visible in Local Area Network, Clicking on PC name throws error:
Your input cant be opened, VLC is unable to open the MRL 'SMB://pc-NAME'. Check log file for details.
This is the log file - https://pastebin.com/7kthzb0M

Tried to do everything including re-install but it wont fix !

I tried to connect to PC with FX File explorer (android TV file manager) SMB and this works fine. (can copy files from PC to Android)
So there seems to be no firewall/connectivity issues.

Not sure what to debug further ? Any suggestions ?

Tried rebooting the TV?
Yes, FX file explorer installed on Android TV, connects absolutely perfect to Windows 10 PC via SMB.
Try with a different app like Nova Video Player on Android TV.

Tried in nova, media files can be played. But the are no preference like vlc for hardware acceleration, disable same amd automatic.

Media files lag massively on nova.

Last edited:
Try this once

could the issue be with the version of VLC? it was running fine and I'm able to browse the shared folder on my desktop PC and laptop. It can still detect the shared folder but when I tried to access it, the folder's empty.
I have MX Video Player Pro on my Android stick and it has no issue accessign the shared folder of my desktop PC and laptop.
I've enabled all SMB features on both my devices but VLC still fails to load the files any of the shared folders.
Update:
Here's what you can do to resolve the issue. I've tested it and I can now access my shared folders in my laptop.
  1. Select "Add a new server to favorites"
  2. Select "smb"
  3. On the "Network Share name", use the format "username:password@<server address>". For example: abc:xyz@abc-PC where "abc" is your username on device, "xyz" is your password and "abc-PC" is the of your desktop PC, laptop or NAS.
  4. Leave the Folder path blank
  5. In the server name section, type any which will help you identify your desktop PC, laptop, etc.
Alternatively, you can edit the SMB folder that you currently saved, use the format "username:password@<server address>. You can delete the current username in the "Username" section. Save it.

Back