PMP @15k

Whats your priority Music or videos?

IF Video is your priority, there are pretty good players from Ainol and Nationite, which would come at less than half of J3.

Music quality wont be top notch as in Cowon, but its descent.

Sound quality , screen , expansion options etc > Cowon J3.

Apps , games , surfing >> Ipod Touch

Audiophile sound quality to pair with high-end headphones /IEMs - Nationite Sflo 2

music is the priority but videos are imp too.i'm happy with J3's video capabilities. i'm an audiophile music wise but have never used an audiophile equipment. i dont wish to spend on it till i earn on my own :)

melv1nratedr said:
music is the priority but videos are imp too.i'm happy with J3's video capabilities. i'm an audiophile music wise but have never used an audiophile equipment. i dont wish to spend on it till i earn on my own :)
Cowon J3 if you need sound and video quality and who dsnt want to carry extra(card slot):hap2:

^+1. It does not make sense to invest in the older iPod Touch 3G now. The newer 4G is rumoured to be exactly the iPhone 4 minus the phone. :)

It may be worthwhile waiting until September when Apple announces the next batch of ipod Touch. ;)

The 16GB version of the Cowon V5 should fall within your budget too. Whatever you decide to buy, if you don't already have decent earphones/headphones you'll be disappointed with the sound. I'd spread that 15k over both. The stock cowon earphones are rubbish.

OP needs superior sound and video quality..hence he is looking for J3..

I will suggest Cowon J3 more then Cowon V5(its huge to carry)

OP already started with 'applications and features are not imp..'

I agree with rithvik about earbuds though

the budget of 15k is for the PMP only. have a budget of 3k max for the eps. can you rec me something good for that price?

btw, should i buy a almost unused 11month old s9 16gb with the original leather pouch for 9k?

If sound quality and AMOLED display are what you want,then yes the Cowon J3 is a excellent choice. However do keep in mind that if you want a PMP that is more of a 'Funtainment' device then go for the iPod Touch. Wait for the 4G. It wont be cheap but worth waiting for.

I am saying this because sooner or later you are going to be wanting more out of your PMP.(I realized it late after I had given away my iTouch).That,sadly,isnt Cowon's forte. Games are rare and so are the apps. Do keep in mind that the J3 has a 3.3'' display with a 480x272 resolution. Not quite good if you are going to watch a lot of videos or movies on it. V5 scores over the J3 here. Plus the difference in audio quality is not noticeable IMO.

On the plus side,the Cowon J3 is a much simpler device. Everything's drag and drop. The Jet Audio suit bundled with it does the job of converting videos to the required format easily. Not to mention lots of audio formats support.

P.S.: I have both the iPod Touch and Cowon J3 now. And you will hardly see me using the J3 ;)

^ All those prices are without the "X " % taxes , shipping etc. and everything is subject to availability. :p

here's the final description of my what my usage pattern will be

2hrs every weekday while commuting in train+bus.around 10hrs of video playback per week.i listen to hardcore/metal/indie.dont play any games.or browse the web on anything other than my 24" monitor except tweeting from my phone.

i've used the itouch but its great but i've seen my friends always complaining about transcoding and syncing audio/vids for it.and most dont use its browser.just play games on it.

should i get my J3 from lynx-india? what is the normal shipping cost if they've put a price of 12900 on it

@melv1nratedr - Your choice is pretty clear and J3 fits just perfect

As FaH33m mentioned,Lynx price of Rs. 12888 is excl. taxes(actual cost will work to Rs. 14579 which incl Rs. 80 shipping charges)

You get cheaper here my friend PMP, COWON J3 16GB

I dealt twice with them earlier and they gave me good disc.,negotiate and the listed price can be lower if not ask for freebies like acces.

Where are you located ?

It does not make sense buying from Lynx from chandigarh when you are some where in south India(transit time)

Back