RO water purifier's reoccuring costs

Hey folks,

I was looking forward to get the RO water purifier system as the TDS of water in our locality is very high. I want some suggestions on which brand should I specifically prefer. Is the Kent Mineral RO purifier good enough and live up to its name?

Also, I want to know that what kind of reoccurring costs should I be looking at while purchasing this unit. Take the daily water usage to be about 15 liters.

Any other pointers/suggestions are very welcome.

TIA

I had a very healthy debate on this topic with medpal the other day. He seems to discourage the usage of RO based purifiers to his patients and friends alike. He had a point - the RO based purifiers do not have a mineralisation plant/pH adjuster so lacks essential mineral traces thus leading to deficiencies in the human body. Although, I denied that and did tell him there IS a mechanism inside every plant (perhaps not the cheap ones which retail for 5k or less) to control the level of dissolved minerals in the water.

Be aware that there's an appreciable loss in the output of the plant - roughly 50% of the feed water is lost. Not sure if this water could be of any use though. I did see one in person at ANP!!!'s place and was shocked to see the fact.

Kent seems to have advertised the unit with a capacity of 60l/hr. Not sure if every unit is capable of this capacity. You shouldn't be worried of the electricity consumption part as this is not a heavy duty equipment.

^ Electricity and water input/output are not much of a concern actually. What's needed is the safe and healthy water as the water that comes through the city supply line is hard and is riddled with dirt.

So Gannu, what would you suggest about the Kent RO purifiers? Do they have this mineralization plant built-in or should I look towards other options?

have been using Kent unit for past 2 year!no issues, uusing the bore water as supply-very high TDS- 1700!kent output set to 150, local municpal supply is rated at 350!!quite good, still hve not needed any consumables replacement!

^Most RO plants that I have come across by far seems to have a good output - as in, the taste of the water completely changes lending it that taste of the bottled water.

These plants do not come with mineralisation units since that overshoots the price of a unit manifold, but retains the amount of TDS (total dissolved solids - essentially implies the trace quantities of minerals) in the right proportion. Distilled water for instance has the least quantity of TDS - ~1ppm or lesser.

I'm not sure how can one bench the output in terms of safety/health - not falling sick after the consumption perhaps? :p

Alright, that's a nice piece of info. Thanks Desecrator.

So I'm back to the first question -- what are the reoccurring costs for a RO purification unit such as Kent's. Any users around here?

Have a local indian make(chinese parts inside) RO based purifier at home. Its been used for 2 year now. Apart from the initial candle type filter cleaning every month there has been no parts replacement till date. There will be 50% water loss when RO is used.

RO needs regular maintainance.

The AMC costs run from 1200/- to 3000/- per year, accourding to brand and service provider you choose.

Plus majority of this contracts are no CMCs so some parts are not covered while you may need to shell out some additional costs incase something goes kaput.

I personally would suggest if your drinking water TDS is above 600 then only you go for RO.

good brands are Hitech / PowerH2O / Permionics.

stay away from eureka forbes.

Rightly said Medpal. There is no need for RO when the TDS level is below 500. We are using Micro filtration from Dolphin for the past 3years and the corporation water is acceptable taste.
For RO you need to change the catridge depends on tds level so it may come for 3 years or need to replace within an year.

Been using a Kent RO since Jan 2005. Over the course of these 5 years, literally everything other than the shell itself have been changed (obviously not all at once) atleast once (membrane, pump, valve), sometimes more (sediment/carbon filters). TDS of input water (from borewell) is ~600. Output is ~50.

cost is more than normal purifier..

guy takes around 500 every 3 months..whirpool !

although RO is not necessary with the quality of water we get, but why not have mineral water anyway when u can afford.

It is not just the TDS wich is regulated by the RO unit, this is a common misconception.

The RO unit is a true filter in the true sense of the word, it clears the water of all impurities and dissolved calcides and fluorides etc, which are all bad for health.

it also removes virus and other germs and cysts from the water thus improving your health, one more thing is that people say that you will get sick if you get into drinking RO water at home and then you will fall sick easily, that is partially true.

I have a RO in my house and I drink at places where i know that I am going to get a reasonable quality of water and not at roadside stalls. other than that I am fine.

the cost of the unit is based on the features in it, I think the Kent is around 15K I think.

the maintanence issue should be cleared with the sales rep who will come to your house when you ask for him through the website or by phone.

there are 2 choices, Zero B and Kent, rest all have gone down or vanished. and newer companies are not to be trusted, most of these are cheap chinese imports and wont last long.

Tech_enthu said:
It is not just the TDS wich is regulated by the RO unit, this is a common misconception.
The RO unit is a true filter in the true sense of the word, it clears the water of all impurities and dissolved calcides and fluorides etc, which are all bad for health.
it also removes virus and other germs and cysts from the water thus improving your health, one more thing is that people say that you will get sick if you get into drinking RO water at home and then you will fall sick easily, that is partially true.
I have a RO in my house and I drink at places where i know that I am going to get a reasonable quality of water and not at roadside stalls. other than that I am fine.
the cost of the unit is based on the features in it, I think the Kent is around 15K I think.
the maintanence issue should be cleared with the sales rep who will come to your house when you ask for him through the website or by phone.
there are 2 choices, Zero B and Kent, rest all have gone down or vanished. and newer companies are not to be trusted, most of these are cheap chinese imports and wont last long.

What do you think about Ultrafilteration Water purifiers? I am leaning on that at the moment. For starters, it is really cheap. I have an RO purifier at office and the water tastes really bad.

Back