Windows Software to write flac files on blank dvd R or RW to make a audio dvd..

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
I am thinking of writing some flac files on blank dvds R/RW to make proper audio cd (dvd in this case) so that they can be played on any dvd player / hifi system (thta can play dvds)

I am aware the files should a different uncompressed format and extension called . Cda to be played as audio..

Would be thankful for the suggestions..

I was planning to with anyburn software..

Simply coz once an audio cd is finalised if you are writing on a rw dvd,, it can never be erased
Not sure where you picked up that misconception. Finalizing a R/W disc makes no sense so its not even needed.
Yep as I said I am planning to use anyburn but if there are any other/ softwares any other member may have used with confirmed results..
Anyburn is free and enough for you. You also have PowerISO which is paid.

.CDA will accommodate only a handful of files. Why not convert Flak to MP3 instead and burn 100s of files.
Unless the audio player is an ancient ones which only supports .cda!

.CDA will accommodate only a handful of files. Why not convert Flak to MP3 instead and burn 100s of files.
Unless the audio player is an ancient ones which only supports .cda!
The purpose of flac or cda will be lost if converted to lossy mp3 bro...
I am finding lossless to be the kind of format that I enjoy..
All the details will be lost if I ll convert them to mp3..

Its either flac or cda for me for now
Not sure where you picked up that misconception. Finalizing a R/W disc makes no sense so its not even needed.

Anyburn is free and enough for you. You also have PowerISO which is paid.
Well rewritable /erasable or not..
Tried making an audio dvd out of the flac files and Anyburn said that the files can only be written on a cd and not dvd...
I used a cd rw and viola they were written and playing fine in my lg dvd player... Seems you can not make a audio dvd like a traditional audio cd..

I ll keep digging though

Last edited:

Its either flac or cda for me for now

Tried making an audio dvd out of the flac files and Anyburn said that the files can only be written on a cd and not dvd...
I used a cd rw and viola they were written and playing fine in my lg dvd player... Seems you can not make a audio dvd like a traditional audio cd..

I ll keep digging though

I ll keep digging though
Something that might help clear the air..

I hope you have really done double blind testing to convince yourself that indeed there are differences that you can hear.
For most people 160 kbps mp3 becomes equivalent to lossless. For few golden ears it is 192 kbps.

F00bar has a plugin that allows you to do double blind testing and statistical analysis to determine whether really you can hear any difference or is it guess work.

I hope you have really done double blind testing to convince yourself that indeed there are differences that you can hear.
For most people 160 kbps mp3 becomes equivalent to lossless. For few golden ears it is 192 kbps.

F00bar has a plugin that allows you to do double blind testing and statistical analysis to determine whether really you can hear any difference or is it guess work.
No wonder I got a sense of deja vu reading your suggestion .. ;)

Yes mate, I have done numerous ones... Not double blind tests but those harmless comparisons...

The true difference I felt was when I strated to listen to more modern English music via flac files, the amount of detail, width and separation is pretty obvious....

Let me share my long term observation wrt mp3..
I have had many hifi systems in past and mp3 came into general domain in front of me in the late nineties.the systems that I owned around the time were not that great like the Panasonic ak20 and another sony one that I had in late 90s like 96 to 2002

I still have like 200 to 300 branded mp3 cds (around 60 of English songs from Sony DADC and rest from hmv of classical and Bollywood old and new ones) apart from a selected few (no idea why) they used to sound so damn average (few wer 256 and others 128kbps) no clarity (the sort that I like) that one expects from cds (obviously) hence I stopped listening to music by the end of 2005..(I realised I might have to buy something expensive to enjoy and the priorities had changed altogether at the level of family..) didn't really realise that mp3 files aren't for me.

I have so many mj songs in my iPod, and iphone all in 320kbps mp3 versions but they are so average, to listen to..(via Earbuds or via chromecast and amp) .
If the same song is listened via streaming services at highest quliaty they sound pretty good, but when you stream them in the same setup using flac files the sound is more wide and sweeter...

Just yesterday I made an audio cd of remastered hits of Ella Fitzgerald using flac files and it sounded so good, exactly like the flac files but through different medium..

Flac file >streamed via netwirk to >Google chromecast >analogue output >fosi bt20a pro >Sony speakers
VS
Flac files>converted to cda on an audio cd >played on a humble LG dvd player >coaxial output >fiio taishan>3.5mm output to rca ports of >fosi bt20a pro >Sony speakers
The sound is exactly the same (may be a tad better on audio cd, I dunno though, need to check again)

But all in all, 320kbps mp3 in my view is no match for the kind of music I like to listen to with audio cd or flac files...

How I wish I knew this back in the day and would have created an awesome setup gradually when things were readily available and were not very expensive... Discarded many things without assessing why I am not enjoying their performance...

Last edited:
Yes mate, I have done numerous ones... Not double blind tests but those harmless comparisons...

The true difference I felt was when I strated to listen to more modern English music via flac files, the amount of detail, width and separation is pretty obvious....
All the best then, hope you do realize that a large chunk of audiophool industry thrives on non-scientific comparisons that feed the cognitive bias.
Since you haven't tried double blind testing, let me insist it just one more time - it is damn easy to do (I mentioned f00bar ABX plugin
), and you don't need to publish the results to anyone.

Anyway I don't have any vested interest and not selling you anything. :D

By the way, if and when you decide to do the ABX comparison, please use the Flac/Ape/Raw file to rip to mp3.
Many mp3, especially from the era you mention were poorly ripped using horrible encoders and usually have missing/distorted 12 kHz onwards spectrum which can easily be made out.

Last edited:
All the best then, hope you do realize that a large chunk of audiophool industry thrives on non-scientific comparisons that feed the cognitive bias.
Since you haven't tried double blind testing, let me insist it just one more time - it is damn easy to do (I mentioned f00bar ABX plugin
), and you don't need to publish the results to anyone.

Anyway I don't have any vested interest and not selling you anything. :D

By the way, if and when you decide to do the ABX comparison, please use the Flac/Ape/Raw file to rip to mp3.
Many mp3, especially from the era you mention were poorly ripped using horrible encoders and usually have missing/distorted 12 kHz spectrum which can easily be made out.

I totally agree with the fact that the mp3 files that were prevalent like 25 (edit I meant 15) years back were pathetic, I checked so many mp3 cds from hmv, Tseries couple of iter companies they all were 128kbps which ultimately killed my passion.

Just yesterday I played a few mp3 cds from Sony and they sounded pretty nice, so much so that I enjoyed them actually.. Then I played some more recent mp3 files via chromecast audio and they also sounded pretty detailed (was actually taken aback a bit)

To be true, I am not able to listen or test stuff that very much since last couple of weeks owing to children's exams and stuff, but I am definitely going to compare an flac with the mp3 file (converted from the same original flac) as you advised.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the fact that the mp3 files that were prevalent like 25 years back were pathetic, I checked so many mp3 cds from hmv, Tseries couple of iter companies they all were 128kbps which ultimately killed my passion.
Actually, back then 128kbps was kept as the norm as a vfm for both- a satisfying quality along with taking just around 3-4mb of space per file which was extremely light and compact on storage considering it was an era of 32mb pen drives and 20gb hdd storage and the fact that on a single cd one could hold on comfortably some 200-210 odd mp3s.

Default 128 kbps MP3 export bit rate gives over 11.5 hours playing time.

You might laugh but even today I still prefer and download mp3s in 128kbps bitrate but that's how I grew up and got used to.
Just takes to adjust my EQ and I'm good on that. Not too much not too low to expect.

Last edited:
Actually, back then 128kbps was kept as the norm as a vfm for both- a satisfying quality along with taking just around 3-4mb of space per file which was extremely light and compact on storage considering it was an era of 32mb pen drives and 20gb hdd storage and the fact that on a single cd one could hold on comfortably some 200-210 odd mp3s.

Default 128 kbps MP3 export bit rate gives over 11.5 hours playing time.

You might laugh but even today I still prefer and download mp3s in 128kbps bitrate but that's how I grew up and got used to.
Just takes to adjust my EQ and I'm good on that. Not to much not to low toe expect.
Yeah, you are right, I just took out a few of the mp3 cds and damn all are 128 some 192, even the original English mp3 brought by SONY DADC were mostly 192 or less .. Actually that was the nail in the coffin cuz Sony English mp3 were the last I bought thinking they should/would sound great but with my Sony rv50, even they sounded so average to me and that's when I moved on and it was I think 2005.

But what I have deduced is I enjoy music that is wider and with great reproduction in the higher freq range especially and that's where mp3 kills the quality, atleast that's what I feel.

Back