Solar panel and stuff

In Kerala, they're already talking about getting rid of net metering and switching to gross. The proposed rate you'd get paid for every unit you generate is Rs 2.69 / kWH, which is incredibly low compared to the 7-8 you'd get charged for the units you consume.

Based on my understanding of the economics of power generation, long term net metering does not seem sustainable for most grids. Especially if more and more solar power producing homes keep getting added that generate all of their peak electricty during midday when the power demand is low. These homes then generate next to no power in the evening and at night, when power demand on the grid is the highest. This mismatch is called the duck curve. That means grid operators have to find an alternate source of energy for those peak hours. In India, that is probably going to be coal.

So effectively the grid is burning more coal (because solar-powered homes are offsetting their energy costs and can therefore afford to consume more) while at the same time paying out of their pockets for power than they don't need during the middle of the day. How long can they sustain that? If the breakeven for your solar system is, like 10 years, then what are the chances your grid operator changes their policy before that?

This is one of the major reasons I'm reluctant about these grid-tied systems.

In Kerala, they're already talking about getting rid of net metering and switching to gross. The proposed rate you'd get paid for every unit you generate is Rs 2.69 / kWH, which is incredibly low compared to the 7-8 you'd get charged for the units you consume.

Based on my understanding of the economics of power generation, long term net metering does not seem sustainable for most grids. Especially if more and more solar power producing homes keep getting added that generate all of their peak electricty during midday when the power demand is low. These homes then generate next to no power in the evening and at night, when power demand on the grid is the highest. This mismatch is called the duck curve. That means grid operators have to find an alternate source of energy for those peak hours. In India, that is probably going to be coal.

So effectively the grid is burning more coal (because solar-powered homes are offsetting their energy costs and can therefore afford to consume more) while at the same time paying out of their pockets for power than they don't need during the middle of the day. How long can they sustain that? If the breakeven for your solar system is, like 10 years, then what are the chances your grid operator changes their policy before that?

This is one of the major reasons I'm reluctant about these grid-tied systems.
Shouldnt a hybrid inverter take care of this? Use what you produce first then import from grid? Or export to grid.

Last edited:
Shouldnt a hybring inverter take care of this? Use what you produce first then import from grid? Or export to grid.
Yes. The catch is those cost even more money upfront and therefore it takes even longer to breakeven. I've seen 15-20 years quoted as the time for that to happen. Hence why people avoid them.

I personally think they can still make more sense though. Because you get actual power backup and the option to be fully independent of the grid.

Edit: Although it seems my numbers are off. It looks like Indian solar companies are quoting 3-5 years as the breakeven period for a grid-tied system with subsidies. I was looking at the US numbers, which are closer to 6-10.

Last edited:
Is there a hybrid system that can power home appliances with grid power and after say 3~5 min switch to solar as AC would take more power when we start but after sometime the power consumption would reduce

any difference between dcr and non dcr panels except they are manufactured in India, quality is inferior of non dcr??
AFAIK, panels not on ALMM are ineligible for net metering since 1st April 2024. Make sure your panel is in ALMM.
That means grid operators have to find an alternate source of energy for those peak hours. In India, that is probably going to be coal.
Grids can also store energy in the form of pumped hydro, community / city scale sodium-ion batteries.
The Govt has imposed high tariffs on batteries from China (in the name of MII) hence DISCOMs find it cheaper to source from coal, for now.
How long can they sustain that? If the breakeven for your solar system is, like 10 years, then what are the chances your grid operator changes their policy before that?
The PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) with DISCOM is for 25 years and they cannot withdraw from it unilaterally, there are muliple court precedents on it.
They will stop accepting new net metering applications in near future, but it won't impact exisiting users.
People who signed up for solar in 2015-2016 are paid INR 10-12 / unit even today for net excess they generatee, where as new agreements now offer for INR 2/3 unit.

AFAIK, panels not on ALMM are ineligible for net metering since 1st April 2024. Make sure your panel is in ALMM.

Grids can also store energy in the form of pumped hydro, community / city scale sodium-ion batteries.
The Govt has imposed high tariffs on batteries from China (in the name of MII) hence DISCOMs find it cheaper to source from coal, for now.

The PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) with DISCOM is for 25 years and they cannot withdraw from it unilaterally, there are muliple court precedents on it.
They will stop accepting new net metering applications in near future, but it won't impact exisiting users.
People who signed up for solar in 2015-2016 are paid INR 10-12 / unit even today for net excess they generatee, where as new agreements now offer for INR 2/3 unit.
have inquired about the ALMM thing the panel is there and the meter has been converted to net meter today,
total quote 2.35L for 6kw panels [6.2kw] + 8kw growatt 3 phase inverter + high rise structure [ 5k extra if it exceeds 2m]

in bihar I am paid 6.8 for each unit that goes to grid

bifacial perc but he has suggested me topcon is there any major difference?
If the price difference is <1K per panel, TopCON is preferred because it has higher efficiency, more linear degradation and follows newer standards.
Both will perform just fine and have a performance warranty of minimum 25 years so you are good with either.

which is incredibly low compared to the 7-8 you'd get charged for the units you consume.
17/- in MH. :cool:

Based on my understanding of the economics of power generation, long term net metering does not seem sustainable for most grids. Especially if more and more solar power producing homes keep getting added that generate all of their peak electricty during midday when the power demand is low.
You are right. I wrote an essay on this very matter around 2020. Grid tied solar are in fact anti-infra. You are warring with Tata, reliance, padani using your panels. We're being entertained by the government's subsidies and net metering because energy firms aren't meeting the demands. Someday, they will catch up and lobby the govt into discontinuing all subsidies.

53k per kw is without subsidies.
I paid 2.65L for a 5 kw setup (everything inclusive) and will get 90k 78k subsidy (as per the newly introduced PM solar Ghar yojna 18k per kw max upto 5kw 78k flat for anything
Did yo got subsidy.
I think the subsidy was for the families under 150000 income. The vendors are filling forms of everyone and when the subsidy will be rejected they will put the blame on government
I think you have to pay complete amount to vendor and the subsidy will be credited later.

Back