Linux The GNU Linux Thread

Do you use GNU Linux distro in your personal PC or laptop?

• Total voters

Panda

Disciple
News, Discussions, Help/Support etc. and I'll do my best to help with issues.

Desktop Kernels:
For desktop use, its better to use Liquorix or Xanmod kernel as stock kernels are not aimed at desktop use.
But if you still prefer stock kernel, then install the "low latency" version of the stock kernel, reboot & remove the default kernel.

Hardware Issues:
For hardware issues, please post output of inxi -Frxxx.

If the terminal throws 'command not found' error message, you should install the "inxi" package, which is available in all distros.

Note: Please remove/mask sensitive info like serial numbers, MAC addresses, etc. before sharing and its better to post the output here within the 'code' tags as you'll be able to edit the information later, if you need to.

Reference:

Last edited:
Got a new Asus Zenbook S 13 AMD Ryzen 6800U laptop...

Few things don't work yet including WiFi only connect to 5ghz band and not 6ghz. Mediatek mt7922 based chip called RZ616 co developed with AMD.

Sound doesn't work either. It's some Rembrandt HD audio controller.

Need to run kernels 6.0 and beyond for keyboard to work. Had to use external keyboard and mouse initially.

Right now I've submitted a bug report to ubuntu kernel team for the audio and sent an email to the mediatek linux wifi driver mailing list.

Let's see what happens.

Got a new Asus Zenbook S 13 AMD Ryzen 6800U laptop...

Few things don't work yet including WiFi only connect to 5ghz band and not 6ghz. Mediatek mt7922 based chip called RZ616 co developed with AMD.

Sound doesn't work either. It's some Rembrandt HD audio controller.

Need to run kernels 6.0 and beyond for keyboard to work. Had to use external keyboard and mouse initially.

Right now I've submitted a bug report to ubuntu kernel team for the audio and sent an email to the mediatek linux wifi driver mailing list.

Let's see what happens.
For latest laptop, you'll need a 'rolling release' distro like 'Arch' or based distros.

Wifi issues are definitely a thing with Linux but keyboard & audio should work out of the box.

Please post output of inxi -Frxxx. Thank you.

Thanks, I'll post the output shortly when I get back to the laptop...

The only rolling distro I would even touch with a 100 foot pole is Tumbleweed.

But my two main distros of choice are elementary OS and KDE neon, no coincidence that they're both Ubuntu based.

All this after trying out pretty much every other distro under the Sun over the past many years.

But digression aside, I've installed elementary OS pre release version 7 and running the ubuntu built mainline kernels v6.0.9 and v6.1rc5 in the distro.

Tried building the kernel off git master to see if any progress after running make menuconfig but getting panics which is unsurprising.

It's a shame that this platform was launched nearly a year ago and this laptop model nearly half a year ago with issues still unresolved but AMD can be forgiven for not having as many resources as Intel to achieve the same level of readiness.

Anyways, will post the output shortly.

Even I had issues with my laptop touchpad not working and battery life with older 5.04 kernel. I installed the HWE version of Linux mint which had 5.15 kernel and everything works properly. For newer laptops i think it's recommended to install the 5.16 kernel. There's some ppa for installing this 5.16 kernel but i didn't try it.

Edit: i meant 6.0 kernel not 5.16. (need coffee, mind not working now)

Which PPA can you link here?

I'm using a PPA forgot the name but it doesn't have kernels directly but a tool called ubuntu mainline kernel installer through which you manually pick what to install.

If your PPA has kernel packages directly that will make it less effort to keep the latest updates.

Thanks, will check out those kernels too. Here's the inxi output - https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/VGCvcP3f7T

You should update the first post to mention to redact sensitive info like serial numbers and maybe MAC addresses and anything else?

At quick glance it looks like there are two intel audio drivers and one amd driver in use? How to I enable the right one?

In Tumbleween KDE live ISO it shows the correct "Rembrandt HD Audio" name but doesn't seem to play sound either but that's just a side note - I'm more interested in getting it running under ubuntu based distros (jammy 22.04 LTS based) for now.

Update:

Just tried both custom kernels with no luck with the audio or wifi. Wifi must be a mediatek driver issue and audio I'll look into whether the correct kernel module can be selected so that sound works :)

Looks like I will stick with the xanmod kernel because it seems to be more recent and frequently updated, not to mention it has v3 arch for Zen3 optimisations and the package repo is faster than the launchpad PPA server that Liquorix uses which is always dog slow for me.

Another update:

Came across this page: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63549/linux-on-zenbook-s-13-oled

It talks about a small kernel patch to get audio working - trying it now against v6.1 from git.

Last edited:
Thanks, will check out those kernels too. Here's the inxi output - https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/VGCvcP3f7T
For WiFi issue, install this & see if it works, https://github.com/ShadowBlip/rz608-fix.

You should update the first post to mention to redact sensitive info like serial numbers and maybe MAC addresses and anything else?
Will do that.

At quick glance it looks like there are two intel audio drivers and one amd driver in use? How to I enable the right one?

In Tumbleween KDE live ISO it shows the correct "Rembrandt HD Audio" name but doesn't seem to play sound either but that's just a side note - I'm more interested in getting it running under ubuntu based distros (jammy 22.04 LTS based) for now.

Update:

Just tried both custom kernels with no luck with the audio or wifi. Wifi must be a mediatek driver issue and audio I'll look into whether the correct kernel module can be selected so that sound works :)

Looks like I will stick with the xanmod kernel because it seems to be more recent and frequently updated, not to mention it has v3 arch for Zen3 optimisations and the package repo is faster than the launchpad PPA server that Liquorix uses which is always dog slow for me.

Another update:

Came across this page: https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/63549/linux-on-zenbook-s-13-oled

It talks about a small kernel patch to get audio working - trying it now against v6.1 from git.
The audio is ****ed up because you have both PulseAudio and PipeWire installed & running at the same time (Lines 52 & 53 in pastebin). You can have only one of them installed & running.

Tumbleweed is good if you already have all hardware working without any issues.

Else you should go with Arch based distros as there will be packages for almost all hardware issues in the AUR. For example, the WiFi fix in the above mentioned Github link, is available in the AUR, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rz608-fix-git.

I uninstalled pipewire and wireplumber and rebooted - no luck.

The rz608 wifi fix looks to be for older kernels - 6.1 already appears to have my device PID 0616 (not 0608) - I highly suspect it's a driver issue.

Will wait to see what the reponse I get, if any, for my wifi and sound bug reports...

Plus, Arch's reputation (I've experienced it first hand too) of breaking with some updates just like another OS that has market dominance.

Yup same link I came across in post number 8. Identified the one line patch to apply to v6.1 , will try again today. Other 2 files are already patched in upstream.

Anyone knows of a kernel release for nvidia shield pro? Want build a distro to turn my shield to nas server.

I'm running Endeavour OS in my Dell Inspiron 14 7420. Things that don't work yet are automatic orientation and maybe ambient light sensor, as in windows it adjusts brightness automatically.

Needed to configure firefox to use touch input for scrolling, and so far is working great. Read an ebook online for 1 hour and battery just went from 95 to 90. Read online with firefox, Bookfusion.com if anyone is wondering.

Arch will be tough for someone coming from Ubuntu like distros

Plus, Arch's reputation (I've experienced it first hand too) of breaking with some updates just like another OS that has market dominance.

The general perception of Arch bad because it breaks is not a valid thing anymore. All you need to do is install Arch or based distro with BTRFS filesystem and do snapshots before doing a weekly upgrade and yes BTRFS is also stable AF, unless you're doing RAID.

In my experience 'Ubuntu' is more prone to issues than Arch. The good days of Ubuntu are over with 12.04 LTS.

If you want a fixed release distro, then check 'MX Linux' which is based on Debian stable and aimed at Desktop users.

@vishalrao could you please boot a weekly live ISO of Artix OpenRC Xfce and let me know if audio works or not?

EDIT:
Why am I unable to edit OP. How am I supposed to update information?

Why am I unable to edit OP. How am I supposed to update information?
Yes there is a limit till when you can edit the OP. I suppose you can request one of the Mods. Otherwise there is no other way apart from adding new information in subsequent posts to this thread.

Back