Linux The GNU Linux Thread

Do you use GNU Linux distro in your personal PC or laptop?

• Total voters
I didn't mean Arch is bad, an inexperienced user might find it difficult to install and maintain. I am using Arch in one of my SBC since many years and it has been solid

Watchin this thread develop . Having an Asus x540 ya laptop . Amd E1 6100 and soldered 4gb ram . Very slow on win 10/11.
Generally windows users suggest add ssd and then update ram .
This does not work for this amd cpu . Dual-core at I think 1.3 ghz , the cpu is always maxed out after booting ubuntu or win 10/11 even with an ssd . Ram at Max 70% load with ssd at avg 1% load the O's crawls .
Installed lubuntu at least now the laptop is barely usable .
My i3 laptop from 2008 works better on win 11 with ssd than this 2018 Asus with amd E1 6100 .

@Panda the guy who created this discussion thread on asus website emailed me after seeing my Ubuntu launchpad.net kernel bug report... he's from Gujarat.

I wiped my laptop and installed KDE neon with patched xanmod kernel and sound is working!

Opened a GitHub PR for xanmod here: https://github.com/xanmod/linux/pull/327

I don't have much hope for ubuntu to get the fix until next 24.04 LTS release.

Now just the wifi 6E issue with 6ghz band for which I'll follow up this week if no response to my email to the kernel driver developers.

Now I need to revisit elementary OS 7 and see if I can get sound to work there.

Might need to correctly setup pipewire to work with legacy pulseaudio and send a PR to them. It's my favourite distro after all.

Watchin this thread develop . Having an Asus x540 ya laptop . Amd E1 6100 and soldered 4gb ram . Very slow on win 10/11.
Generally windows users suggest add ssd and then update ram .
This does not work for this amd cpu . Dual-core at I think 1.3 ghz , the cpu is always maxed out after booting ubuntu or win 10/11 even with an ssd . Ram at Max 70% load with ssd at avg 1% load the O's crawls .
Installed lubuntu at least now the laptop is barely usable .
My i3 laptop from 2008 works better on win 11 with ssd than this 2018 Asus with amd E1 6100 .
That CPU is way too less powerful to run Linux distro. It'll boot without any issue, but the moment you start using web browsers, the PC is gonna start to crawl.

The best thing you can do is ChromeOS Flex, https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/.

Else install WinXP and don't connect to the Internet.

@Panda the guy who created this discussion thread on asus website emailed me after seeing my Ubuntu launchpad.net kernel bug report... he's from Gujarat.

I wiped my laptop and installed KDE neon with patched xanmod kernel and sound is working!

Opened a GitHub PR for xanmod here: https://github.com/xanmod/linux/pull/327

I don't have much hope for ubuntu to get the fix until next 24.04 LTS release.

Now just the wifi 6E issue with 6ghz band for which I'll follow up this week if no response to my email to the kernel driver developers.

Now I need to revisit elementary OS 7 and see if I can get sound to work there.

Might need to correctly setup pipewire to work with legacy pulseaudio and send a PR to them. It's my favourite distro after all.
Yeah, audio should work out of the box these days.

I don't think Xanmod will accept patches for kernels.

Forget about WiFi 6E for now and be happy with 5GHz. Anyway, good luck.

I could have sworn I saw prior PRs being merged to xanmod, but anyway let's see when the fix is generally available...

@Panda Thanks for the suggestion to install xp on my Asus x540ya laptop with amd e1 6100 with 4gb soldered ram . The irony of the situation being this laptop came with win10 pre installed also with hdd which I changed to ssd . Still slow as heck. Hence lubuntu for the weak amd E1 .

@Panda Thanks for the suggestion to install xp on my Asus x540ya laptop with amd e1 6100 with 4gb soldered ram . The irony of the situation being this laptop came with win10 pre installed also with hdd which I changed to ssd . Still slow as heck. Hence lubuntu for the weak amd E1 .
I can understand because I bought a AMD Turion laptop in 2009 which came pre-installed with window vista. I can turn on the laptop and in the mean time I can assemble a PC from scratch before the laptop completely boots & becomes usable. And hence the start of my Linux journey.

Also, check Win 8.1 (yes, 8.1 is more smooth/tuned than 7) custom builds named 'Nexus Lite' from teamos[dot]xyz (unsure if I can post links to such forums here). I installed it on a very old laptop with 2GB RAM and works better than I expected.

OEM's are manufacturing e-waste out of the factory without caring about providing proper software support.

Give ChromeOS Flex a try. It should be smooth than Lubuntu or any Linux distro.

What file system should i use to protect against bit rot? Ext4, Xfs or btrfs? I will have seperate copies of files on different mechanical hdds. No raid or anything. Right now it's mix of NTFS and Ext4 and I've seen that NTFS is crap for getting back lost data. Ext4 is better than NTFS but it's slow when we copy large amounts of data. I tried xfs but was unsure if i could get data back. Heard lot of negatives about it. Same with btrfs with people saying it's not yet ready or stable enough.

What file system should i use to protect against bit rot? Ext4, Xfs or btrfs? I will have seperate copies of files on different mechanical hdds. No raid or anything. Right now it's mix of NTFS and Ext4 and I've seen that NTFS is crap for getting back lost data. Ext4 is better than NTFS but it's slow when we copy large amounts of data. I tried xfs but was unsure if i could get data back. Heard lot of negatives about it. Same with btrfs with people saying it's not yet ready or stable enough.
I was never a file system guy but recently started working on xfs. Pretty mature in terms of age and stability. Ext4 is journaling fs where as btrfs is cow. Xfs on the other hand supports reflinks so snapshots are very quick like btrfs. But for bit rot or silent corruption you need to either raid or erasure coded storage in my opinion. Enterprise systems like storage arrays have stuff like scsi crct10dif but I don’t think it’s implemented on regular scsi layer.

Snapraid + MergerFS, if you are on OMV

But for bit rot or silent corruption you need to either raid or erasure coded storage in my opinion.
Does CRC checksum not work on standalone drives? I don't have any raid system nor do i want to spend money on a Nas server. Btrfs status says raid is not okay. So they are still working on it.

I have a mix of portable drives and internal drives. Guess my only option is to convert the NTFS drives to Ext4.
Snapraid + MergerFS, if you are on OMV
What is omv?

Another thing to squeeze out more performance - you could try out Tiling Window Manager instead of a Desktop Environment.
Tiling window managers are usually very lightweight, even with good amount of customization. Couple that with (hopefully in future) a minimal arch installation (with just the necessary services) and the laptop should be usable at least for basic browsing and online activities.

A friend of mine ran this set up in his HP laptop (i3 7th gen, but 8 GB RAM). He had a 500 GB HDD and his boot time was <10 seconds!!! On a friggin HDD!! Didn't believe it till I saw it.

You can try out EndavourOS with i3 (currently using the gnome version and liking it so far).

Few months back, I installed dual boot Ubuntu 22.04 on an Asus Zephyrus G14 (2021) - everything worked out of the box.

Read about Asus issues and I kept a folder ready with stuff like xanmod, nvidia drivers, etc. But fortunately, everything worked fine, including the MediaTek wifi (2.4 only, didn't try the others, don't have those in my old Dlink router)

Back