The Shoe maintenance thread!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
There wasn't any related topic so I thought about starting one.

I'm in a dilemma as to how to clean shoes off dirt marks, color fading, cleaning, washing etc.

While cleaning dark color shoes is not much of a challenge but when it comes to white it gives nightmares.

I have a pair of white canvas sneakers and it has been 2 years now they are in a terrible state. Muddy and all types of dirt marks. I was thinking about washing them but YT suggests many methods but I thought about discussing here how people are maintaining their shoes esp. white ones.

I clean my sneakers every weekend or every 2 weeks
1. Dry wipe with cloth
2. wet wipe with wet cloth
3. with toothbrush using washing powder in water.
4. wet wipe with wet cloth
5. Dry wipe with cloth

if you do it regularly, they dont accumulate long term dirt or patches.
new trend is sending to dry cleaners who do shoe cleaning thesedays. there are specialized businesses around shoe cleaning but services are expensive.
I have also seen some shoe/sneaker cleaning kits being sold online. not tried yet.

My go to quick & easy way of cleaning shoes is using a wet tissue/washable cloth to remove 80-90% of the dirt & marks. Works pretty nicely with white shoes. For darker color shoes the process works even faster.

I too use the wet method but what if the canvas cloth itself gets dirty stained just like our white shirts/jeans?
I heard we can soak the shoes in a bucket with some detergent.

Has anyone tried this method?

Totally unrelated to this cleaning of shoes , but staying with the subject of shoes ,
The shoes available here in India are not as good as when I buy the same model in Eu or Usa . I have seen a distinct quality difference always . I guess most of the shoes here are made in Punjab/Haryana ... If we are lucky then vietnam ...

There wasn't any related topic so I thought about starting one.

I'm in a dilemma as to how to clean shoes off dirt marks, color fading, cleaning, washing etc.

While cleaning dark color shoes is not much of a challenge but when it comes to white it gives nightmares.

I have a pair of white canvas sneakers and it has been 2 years now they are in a terrible state. Muddy and all types of dirt marks. I was thinking about washing them but YT suggests many methods but I thought about discussing here how people are maintaining their shoes esp. white ones.
What Puns mentioned... I have been doing exactly that (except for dry wipe and wet wipe.

I first use handshower and toothbrush to take all the dirts and particules that may have got caught in the outsole.
then put some washing powder water inside the shoe and let it soak for a minute or two.
Rinse it few times with clean water and keep them for drying .

Oh and also take out the insole of the shoe and wash it separately.
White is challenging to clean but I am sure others can suggest better. I avoid buying white.

I too use the wet method but what if the canvas cloth itself gets dirty stained just like our white shirts/jeans?

Use Vanish instead of detergent. 50 degree water btw

Had seen this video a while back.

She chose a program with 30 degree water. So tap temperature. Amazed Samsung actually has a program for this called 'outdoor care'

Whitening will be better with Vanish than any non oxygen bleach detergent. Soaking only goes so far. It needs agitation. She uses bicarbonate to manually clean you can use Vanish powder in place.

Last edited:
One suggestion that I have been doing too is
Get a pair of budget shoes too for rain and muddy days .
and more expensive ones for normal better days.

This will surely give more life to your shoe.

OK so apply vanish on the entire shoes and then soak in bukcet of water 50c right?

Time duration or an hour will do?

I fear 50c might harm the material, do confirm.
Shrinkage is the only thing that comes to mind. Watch the video linked above. She chose a program with 30 degree water. So tap temperature. Amazed Samsung actually has a program for this called 'outdoor care'

Whitening will be better with Vanish than any non oxygen bleach detergent. Soaking only goes so far. It needs agitation. She uses bicarbonate to manually clean you can use Vanish powder in place.

You can put in your top loader on a mix cycle. Though there seems to be quite a bit of effort required manually before the machine does the rest

Last edited:
Get a pair of budget shoes too for rain and muddy days .
and more expensive ones for normal better days.

This will surely give more life to your shoe.
I'm already maintaining such inventory since a long time now...
You can put in your top loader on a mix cycle. Though there seems to be quite a bit of effort required manually before the machine does the rest
Shoes in washing machine is way too unhygienic! Firangis can do anything, they will even bath their pets in machines.

Shoes in washing machine is way too unhygienic! Firangis can do anything, they will even bath their pets in machines.
Watch the video, most of the dirt is removed manually. It's not as easy as I thought

It's not as unhygienic the way she does it

I use this:

Two coats to new shoes before using. Afterwards, spot cleaning as and when necessary.

I use this:

Two coats to new shoes before using. Afterwards, spot cleaning as and when necessary.

do take a note that waterproofing can have some issue with the breathability of the shoe so check before applying if solution is worth it or not.
^seems like a waterproofing compound

do take a note that waterproofing can have some issue with the breathability of the shoe so check before applying if solution is worth it or not.
I use this for cleaning my walking shoes (Skechers) but it contains oils -
While it cleans really well, I am now not sure if the breathability will become an issue in the long term.

If they are regular canvas shoes, soaking and washing works supremely well. I do that with my Vans, Supra, and Converse sneakers, and never had a problem.

You can also try Dazlo (https://amzn.eu/d/6lqxFbL), works well for removing tough stains. However, I do not recommend it for dark coloured canvas. There will be some fading.

If you are looking for stainproofing, vetropower is decent. Haven't noticed much difference interms of breathability. But if it is an issue, I guess we can wash the shoes again.

For my Doctor Martens, I use their shoe care kit (https://www.drmartens.com/us/en/shoecare-kit/p/AC773000). Since they need little care, the balsam lasts 3 years or more for two pairs.

I usually do it by soaking
1. soak shoes for 5 mins in water with detergent
2. apply soap (washing clothes) to the mesh/net area
3. use a toothbrush to gently rub mesh/net
4. use hard brush to clean the shoe sole from sides
5. rinse in clean water and dry in sun

Back