Tool to fix shaky blurry videos

OIS and EIS are not competing solutions. They work in series. If your device has both, then you will get the best output.

OIS moves a lens element to compensate for your camera's movement, to keep what the sensor sees constant. This will help both photos and videos, especially in low light. On phones you can't really see the effect on wide lens, since it's more noticeable on higher zoom/longer lens where the shakiness is amplified. Wildlife photographers shooting animals from far away will benefit from it when shooting handheld.
OIS also helps videos, without cropping in.

EIS crops in on whatever the sensor is seeing, and moves that frame around to make the video appear still. There's no reason to use this for photos - a single photo can't convey phone motion. You need a minimum of 2 photos to perceive any movement. If you want to keep an object centred in a photo, while the camera is shaking, for eg. on a boat, you can just take a photo and crop it later while maintaining max FOV.
The more EIS crops in on a video, the more stable the output can look.
EIS also needs a lot of CPU power to work, hence not seen on older/less powerful devices.

TLDR:
OIS
: no crop, max FOV images/videos; can reduce blurring in low light photos/videos; hardware solution; can cancel up/down+left/right movement only
EIS: crops, lesser FOV image/videos; can't help in low light videos; software solution, needs CPU power; if implemented, can cancel out rotation as well

That said, given enough light and cropping headroom, EIS can outperfom OIS. Check out the GoPro's awesome EIS
That is too much theory. I never said these are competitive. EIS is the future of stabilization and It will eventually replace gimbals. OIS will remain for pictures but it stands no chance in front of EIS for videos. OIS mostly do not do anything significant to a mobile cam videos. It (IBIS in cams) can make some difference in a DLSR camera when the lens also has OIS because the space is more and a OIS system can be properly implemented. OIS system physically moves the lens in opposite directions to cancel the movements of the cam, but mobile cam has such a small space for the sensor/lens to move that it makes less difference for videos. EIS do not outperform OIS, EIS destroys OIS. This is the reason there is no OIS in action cams. Phones has it because the priority is images.
Regarding go pro video, It is not go pro awesome EIS. It is called horizon lock and it is also available in DJI osmo action. It crops into the sensor too much so not always useful.

You are just repeating what I said...

EIS is the future of stabilization and It will eventually replace gimbals.
Once again you have missed the whole point of my lecture: EIS is a software solution that works only in bright light. More importantly it can't use the full sensor to show a wider, better video as it cannot work without cropping in.

OIS/Gimbal will work in ANY lighting condition AND provide you the full quality video. The cheapest gimbal will outperform the best EIS. Con is of course more physical space is required

EIS do not outperform OIS, EIS destroys OIS. This is the reason there is no OIS in action cams.
Action cams don't have OIS since they are subjected to conditions where the moving mechanical parts might get damaged. Only since the GoPro 6-7 did EIS become practical. If you look at footage from older GoPros/mobiles it was a stuttery mess.

Phones has it because the priority is images.
Lol bro please test and then explain how OIS will help photos but not videos. If it has no effect in video, it will have no effect in photos either. You are right in that the small lens movements possible can only help so much. It can't help one but not the other.

Regarding go pro video, It is not go pro awesome EIS. It is called horizon lock and it is also available in DJI osmo action. It crops into the sensor too much so not always useful.
Horizon lock is the marketing term for the EIS feature where you can rotate the camera 360° but the EIS compensates for it and recording won't rotate. It is meant to be used only with a Super wide angle addon lens so as to not lose too much FOV.

More importantly, this feature is only available with the more powerful GP2 processor. This performance is not available in any phone AFAIK.

And finally: GoPro records the rotation angles + G-forces telemetry in its videos. Using this data and a PC's added CPU power, you can get even smoother videos than the camera is able to produce. OR you know you could have just used a gimbal and saved all this extra work.

You are just repeating what I said...
Then why are you quoting me? Kuch bhi ? :tearsofjoy:
Once again you have missed the whole point of my lecture:
I don't need your lectures. I never asked for it.
The cheapest gimbal will outperform the best EIS.
There is world beyond your go pro, cheapest gimbal and stuff which you read on internet. Have you ever used a gimbal for filmmaking? Do you know how tricky it is to keep the subject in frame? Try shooting a subject while circling around it and tell me what outperforms what.

A gimbal needs balancing, it is expensive, it is not weatherproof, it is heavy, it needs more storage space, it requires its own power source, it has a learning curve, sometimes it just ruins your shot which cannot come back, smaller gimbals are mostly without a quick release system and still it cannot do what EIS can. EIS can stabilize in any direction which a gimbal cannot. There are sensors bigger than your go pro and phones which have no significant impact on the video quality even if you crop. I am talking from a filmmaker's perspective that EIS is the future of stabilization.
Right now, gimbals are an important part of any filmmaking setup and no one uses EIS exclusively but EIS is the future.
Action cams don't have OIS since they are subjected to conditions where the moving mechanical parts might get damaged. Only since the GoPro 6-7 did EIS become practical. If you look at footage from older GoPros/mobiles it was a stuttery mess.
Well that's somewhat correct but Action cams do not have OIS because it is useless in a small space for videos. Adding OIS to a good EIS system is like asking Captain America to help Aquaman to lift that submarine. It makes no significant difference.
Lol bro please test and then explain how OIS will help photos but not videos. If it has no effect in video, it will have no effect in photos either. You are right in that the small lens movements possible can only help so much. It can't help one but not the other.
There is no lol here. Mobile OIS is primarily there to compensate for shaky hands while clicking pics. It is a must while taking low light pictures. It cannot make a huge difference in videos. Most manufacturers disable it while video recording and just uses gyroscopic data for EIS. Others do not even tune it properly for videos. Yes, it can be disabled. Don't quote me on this. It is so insignificant in most phones that instead of wasting processing power and battery on it, it is better just to use EIS. Disabled means not using its data. OIS is a mechanical system so one cannot stop the lens or sensor from moving.
And finally: GoPro records the rotation angles + G-forces telemetry in its videos. Using this data and a PC's added CPU power, you can get even smoother videos than the camera is able to produce.
Stop teaching me what a steering wheel and gear lever is. I am driving for many years and I am using gyroscopic data to stabilize videos for a few years.
OR you know you could have just used a gimbal and saved all this extra work.
Really ? Thanks but NO. :banghead:

Last edited:
There is world beyond your go pro, cheapest gimbal and stuff which you read on internet. Have you ever used a gimbal for filmmaking? Do you know how tricky it is to keep the subject in frame? Try shooting a subject while circling around it and tell me what outperforms what.

A gimbal needs balancing, it is expensive, it is not weatherproof, it is heavy, it needs more storage space, it requires its own power source, it has a learning curve, sometimes it just ruins your shot which cannot come back, smaller gimbals are mostly without a quick release system and still it cannot do what EIS can. EIS can stabilize in any direction which a gimbal cannot. There are sensors bigger than your go pro and phones which have no significant impact on the video quality even if you crop. I am talking from a filmmaker's perspective that EIS is the future of stabilization.
Right now, gimbals are an important part of any filmmaking setup and no one uses EIS exclusively but EIS is the future.
I agree. There was a time I used to flex on iPhone + gimbel users using my budget 'Chinese' phone. Good quality EIS arrived late on iPhone even later than budget android phones. First Pixel which was a high end phone, set the benchmark for mobile photography and highly stable video. And it didn't have OIS.

Then why are you quoting me? Kuch bhi ? :tearsofjoy:
I like to debunk your views point by point ;)

I don't need your lectures. I never asked for it.
Show me where I asked you to attend my lectures.

There is world beyond your go pro, cheapest gimbal and stuff which you read on internet.
I haven't shared an opinion that I haven't learnt from first hand experience.

Have you ever used a gimbal for filmmaking? Do you know how tricky it is to keep the subject in frame?
Oh hello Mr. Nolan. Didn't realize you were here with us. Thank you for sharing all your valuable insight in film-making.

Try shooting a subject while circling around it and tell me what outperforms what.
Pan. Following. Mode. RTFM, you don't know everything. They have different modes depending on what kind of shot you intend to capture.

There are sensors bigger than your go pro
...and much bigger than your ego. There are pro film cameras without digital sensors where EIS isn't even an option.

There is no lol here. Mobile OIS is primarily there to compensate for shaky hands while clicking pics. It is a must while taking low light pictures. It cannot make a huge difference in videos.
And with you repeating that statement over and over again you have proved yourself to be an internet reading know-it-all. Mechanical stabilization is the ONLY way to reduce smearing (motion blur due to camera shake in low light)

Stop teaching me what a steering wheel and gear lever is. I am driving for many years and I am using gyroscopic data to stabilize videos for a few years.
Welcome to F1, where the steering wheel is a rectangle and the gear lever are paddle switches.
Lol why are you so butthurt bro? I am however, very interested in your gyro data stabilization achievements.

Really ? Thanks but NO. :banghead:
The suggestion was for OP to use with their phone. You are free to do whatever you wish for your pro level film making.

...I used to flex on iPhone + gimbel users using my budget 'Chinese' phone
Yeah EIS has certainly come a looong way. I was surprised to see how rock steady the Steady Video mode was on a mid range phone!

Try to go through each video and decide if the capturing is smooth or there's a lag or blur issue.
Me thinks It's a motion blur issue dominated by following two issues.

1. Caused by camera aperture being wide opened for long period of time to get enough light to capture a frame in low light. Things move while single frame is being captured. Causing blurry frames.

2. Even with good lighting and narrow camera aperture, opened only for small period to time, the frames of moving object still get slightly blur, higher the moving speed more the blur ( this effect doubles when the object is moving in one direction and the capturing device is moving in opposite direction), this blur helps our brain to glue the edge frames and perceive it as a constant motion, but some times due to low frames per second the perceived motion is still not smooth enough and looks choppy, in that case simply capturing at high frames per second will help making it appear more smooth.

But to capture at high frames per second you need even more light.

And how or which tool to use to fix the same.
Frame interpolation to generation artificial frame in between two given frames, but this has it's own issue known as artifacts.

Last edited:

1. Caused by camera aperture being wide opened for long period of time to get enough light to capture a frame in low light. Things move while single frame is being captured. Causing blurry frames.

2. Even with good lighting and narrow camera aperture, opened only for small period to time, the frames of moving object still get slightly blur, higher the moving speed more the blur ( this effect doubles when the object is moving in one direction and the capturing device is moving in opposite direction), this blur helps our brain to glue the edge frames and perceive it as a constant motion, but some times due to low frames per second the perceived motion is still not smooth enough and looks choppy, in that case simply capturing at high frames per second will help making it appear more smooth.

Frame interpolation to generation artificial frame in between two given frames, but this has it's own issue known as artifacts.
I want all videos to be corrected for a smoother viewing exp. and not like motion sickness how they are currently captured!

I want all videos to be corrected for a smoother viewing exp. and not like motion sickness how they are currently captured!
The stabilisation is indeed working on your phone. The sudden blurriness you see in a few frames is due to the camera being shaken.

Screenshot_2.jpg

This motion blur wasn't due to abnormally long exposure. It's because the camera was jerked. The video doesn't feel shaky because it was stabilised by cropping in the post-process. However, the blurriness can't be removed just like that so it stays.

What can you do to improve?
First, shoot at 60FPS. It'll reduce the blurriness to some extent.
Secondly, you are panning and tilting too fast. It's nauseating. When you are shooting a video, assume you are holding the head of a viewer in your hands. Don't force viewers to look at 3 different things within a second. Keep it slow.

For frame interpolation you can try:

I tried this tool but unsure how it works so hardly any difference in motion when I tried on 2 small videos. Plus the the conversion takes some time as well.
if your video was recorded at 30 fps, it can generate 60-120 fps. Basically filling in-between the frames. And the model runs on GPU (preferably Nvidia), and processing the videos will take some time.

if your video was recorded at 30 fps, it can generate 60-120 fps. Basically filling in-between the frames. And the model runs on GPU (preferably Nvidia), and processing the videos will take some time.
All videos recorded at stock 30fps. During conversion the multiplication output went to 300fps and off the two videos converted, one is a bit smoother at one patch while for the rest part of the video its remains same.

The other video hardly has any impact moving from 30 to 300fps.

All videos recorded at stock 30fps. During conversion the multiplication output went to 300fps and off the two videos converted, one is a bit smoother at one patch while for the rest part of the video its remains same.

The other video hardly has any impact moving from 30 to 300fps.
Ya I guess it depends on content. The models are generally trained on very huge datasets which represent real-world scenes. However, models can only generalise around the data they have been trained on. It is quite possible the content of your videos may not be something the model has seen before.

Ya I guess it depends on content. The models are generally trained on very huge datasets which represent real-world scenes. However, models can only generalise around the data they have been trained on. It is quite possible the content of your videos may not be something the model has seen before.
My video contents incl. 99% general environment scenarios like traffic, rains, generic envi. sorroundings, occasional shots taken from moving bike, car, trains etc.

Back