Windows 10 or 11

Neotheone

Figuring stuff out
Adept
Hi everyone, I am looking to pick between win 10 and 11 for a new configuration that I'm setting up.

AMD RYZEN FX 5700X
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
Rtx 4060 Ti 16Gb
Corsair CMK16GX4M1E3200C16 GB

My end use would be moderate gaming, LLM and a little bit of video editing/up scaling etc.

I am thinking of which OS to buy for the setup. Win 10 or 11. Any thoughts? I mean I have had some experience with both but as an end user, I did not find much in Win 11 that Win 10 did not have/could not do for me.
However, since I am sure there are more knowledgeable folks out here, request your help and thoughts please.

Any help with pointing for the best source for buying a genuine license for the lowest cost would be even better.

Regards,

If you are going to purchase a legit license, check on TE as well.
There is person selling Windows 10 license(runs 11 as well) quite cheap.
I bought 2 licenses in past and working fine till day.

It was less then 600 per license

I will prefer Win10 till its support ends next year. Win12 is rumoured this year, let's see. My PC runs Win10 & office laptop is running Win11.

Deal breaker feature for me is the lack of an option to backup custom folders using the built in Backup option. I use it to backup some folders to my ext HDD. Otherwise, I have observed a bit slow file explorer, apparently many others are observing this as well. Win10 is already bloated, Win11 seems even more bloated while MS aggressively trying to push services on your face. They made stuff like changing default browser a bit more cumbersome.

I really want linux gaming to succeed & I hope linux OS' get more user friendly. Steam is helping here a lot IMO. I just don't have the patience to tinker stuff for small things that I want to do. My last experience with linux was in 2021 on cousin's old laptop (installed & set up lubuntu).

I will prefer Win10 till its support ends next year. Win12 is rumoured this year, let's see. My PC runs Win10 & office laptop is running Win11.

Deal breaker feature for me is the lack of an option to backup custom folders using the built in Backup option. I use it to backup some folders to my ext HDD. Otherwise, I have observed a bit slow file explorer, apparently many others are observing this as well. Win10 is already bloated, Win11 seems even more bloated while MS aggressively trying to push services on your face. They made stuff like changing default browser a bit more cumbersome.

I really want linux gaming to succeed & I hope linux OS' get more user friendly. Steam is helping here a lot IMO. I just don't have the patience to tinker stuff for small things that I want to do. My last experience with linux was in 2021 on cousin's old laptop (installed & set up lubuntu).
Thanks responders. Especially @Futureized and @OMEGA44-XT . I am intuitively more comfortable with WIN10 as well, so on balance, would probably stick to it for now, and get it from TE, if possible.

And I've also felt that Win 11 is more about trying to push stuff more than it was on WIN10. That is the clincher for me for now, so I will stick with WIN10 until it is just not supported. We will see when that happens.

Ever tried windows 10 ltsc? Basically windows 10 with majority of the bloat cut out. I'm using it on my ThinkPad and pc and still get security updates. I think support for it is till 2027?
There's really easy guides on reddit to download, install and activate it (especially activation). Won't link them here myself but it's easy to find.

Ever tried windows 10 ltsc? Basically windows 10 with majority of the bloat cut out. I'm using it on my ThinkPad and pc and still get security updates. I think support for it is till 2027?
There's really easy guides on reddit to download, install and activate it (especially activation). Won't link them here myself but it's easy to find.
There are many things that don't work with LTSC. I think (not sure) XBox doesn't work with it. I went back to enterprise after trying LTSC for a day or an hour.

There are many things that don't work with LTSC. I think (not sure) XBox doesn't work with it. I went back to enterprise after trying LTSC for a day or an hour.
Xbox as in the windows store or xbox game pass? I haven't used or bought the game pass stuff so I can't speak about that (I remember reading about it somewhere that it does work though) but the windows store works. Using powershell as admin and typing wsreset -i installed it for me. All apps work
Edit -

Last edited:
Both. I didn't know it was so easy to get rid of this restriction.
Yep, really easy. Nothing more fun and stupid than playing angry birds 2 installed from the windows store on a not so legit copy of ltsc on a refurbished t480s with a touchscreen display :p

Back