1-1.5 lakh budget, are there custom built options?

unkempt

Disciple
Hi folks,

I was wondering, is Alienware pretty much the only company (or brand rather) that'd give you a high variety of customizability in laptops for purchase in India? I've been researching for a week or so, for a rig around 1-2lakh and there's *always something* missing from the models I've been looking at, e.g.

Asus g73jh doesn't have SSD or Bluetooth (i think?)

Sony VPCZ128GG is almost there but has just a 13" screen and a lower rated graphics card (GT 330M)

Stuff like that..

The HP Envy 17 brochure looks tempting but I'm not sure when they're launching and how many options we'll have..

The alienware options look good but quite expensive; plus they don't even seem to have 17" i7 laptops yet. The rig I'd spec based on what they have available is something like this:

m15x
i7 720qm OR i7 920xm processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM
1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 260M
256GB SSD
Blue-Ray burner

My only hesitation (well besides the fact that it'll take 2-3 months for me to save up the money for it) is that they have a reputation for overpricing their products..

In terms of what I'm looking for, the components in order of descending importance are:

1) SSD for main drive (non negotiable)
2) i7
3) Moderate to High graphics card
4) 6+ GB RAM
5) Bluetooth & Blue Ray burner

Get the G73 and plug in the ssd by yourself. It's pretty painless. + if you really need bluetooth, you can always use a dongle.

stalker said:
Get the G73 and plug in the ssd by yourself. It's pretty painless. + if you really need bluetooth, you can always use a dongle.
Hmm. I've actually switched regular HDs on laptops before, but was worried about this one

Plus there were apparently issues with using the regular recovery disk on a differently sized drive..

Do SSDs fit into a regular laptop drive external enclosure? I just don't want to find myself editing settings in BIOS all confused but I guess the money saved could be worth it

dell alienware is not expensive, its the customs etc in india which make it expensive. if you can get it from US then it will be cheap or for that matter any other laptops will also do.

unkempt said:
Originally Posted by sickizblank
^ honestly, wouldn't be worth it He's doing everythin by himself.. :p

Don't really follow what you're saying here
He means to say that, it wouldnt be worth spending so much money on a thing when you'll have to do the things yourself to get what you want. Its an answer to what stalker said.

A friend got a studio with i7 and graphics and blue ray for abt 70k a few months back..

I think going with studio or xps with 3-4 yrs complete cover makes more sense..

Thanks Ankur

Party Monger said:
A friend got a studio with i7 and graphics and blue ray for abt 70k a few months back..

I think going with studio or xps with 3-4 yrs complete cover makes more sense..
Yeah it's interesting; their site says the Studio goes up to i7 but their customizer function doesn't show it.. strange.

My sister and I both have inspirons from a couple years apart and the paint, keyboard etc are just falling apart so I wonder what their quality is these days.

Another idea I had was that I could upgrade my current e1505 with an SSD for the short term but don't want to end up with a non functioning computer.. I guess if worst comes to worst I can just put the original drive back in

hey unkempt. my name is kushal and i run the alienware store and gaming lounge in bangalore. its the worlds first by alienware. we have all alienware products on display, i can also customize alienware laptops as per your requirements. u can call me on 9886155131 if u wanna visit the place or need any help.
cheers!

unkempt said:
Thanks Ankur
Yeah it's interesting; their site says the Studio goes up to i7 but their customizer function doesn't show it.. strange.

My sister and I both have inspirons from a couple years apart and the paint, keyboard etc are just falling apart so I wonder what their quality is these days.

Another idea I had was that I could upgrade my current e1505 with an SSD for the short term but don't want to end up with a non functioning computer.. I guess if worst comes to worst I can just put the original drive back in
Well, studio has decent build quality, i remember those old inspirons, they were pathetic..

Besides with 3yr complete cover, any part falling off will be covered..it it isnt, just break it and then it will be :p

Actually swapping out the HDD and copying over older partitions isnt that big a deal. You can try it in your existing laptop alone. If that doubtful, take it to nay computer/laptop service guys, they can do it in front of you. Pretty painless procedure really.

If you're able to get someone to bring it down for you from the States, look into ordering a Sager from XoticPC. There are 15 and 17 inch options with Radeon 5XXXs and GTX 480s too. I swear by Sager.

Anyone know what's going on with the Asus g73 sw A1 ?

I called the Delhi sales head for laptop for Asus and he said there were issues with Sandybridge

vantheman5211 said:
get the g73 and put a nice and fast ssd inside.imo it would be better if you tell us what will it be mostly used for.
yeah I'm pretty much set on getting the g73 sw when it's available .. especially cause of the good temperature cooling .. plenty of laptops have trouble with that

the only problem is that it's kinda pricey here, about a lakh+.. the other option is getting a macbook pro

I do web development but the reason I want a very high end laptop is that multitasking is killing my current machine I need it to go without a hitch on huge photoshop files, multiple browsers etc.. it may seem like overkill but besides the graphics card I need everything else to be as fast as possible

Dude, with a budget like that, why don't you fly to Singapore (15k), buy your laptop(75k instead of 1L here) and then return to India? It will work out cheaper for you... :) and you'll have more options...

Back