1.5T Split Unit A/C - 5 Star Rating - Which one?

Hey guys, I'm on the verge of purchasing a Plasma TV and was planning on picking up an air conditioner for my bedroom at the same time, figured I could cash in on the extra discount.

My room dimensions are 16'6" (L) x 9' (W) x 9'3" (H)

According to my calculations, I need a 1.5T Split Unit.

I've got a 1T in my living room which has a slightly larger dimension (12' (W) x 17' (L) x 9'3" (H) - I messed up going in for a 1T at that point).

My usage is a bare minimum of 9 hours a day, 11 months a year in both the living area and the bedroom. Basically, there will be instances where both the A/C's will be on simultaneously.

Now, I was considering 1 of 3 options:

1. Replace the living room (1T) and pick up one of those single out door unit, 2 indoor unit A/C's (I think Hitachi has it).

2. Replace the living room (1T) and pick up 2x 1.5T (And hope for a good deal; Samsung's offering free installation).

3. Just buy a single 1.5T for the bedroom.

I've got the following options at the moment:

1. Samsung Purista+ AS185BBD (5 Star, top of the line) @ 27,000 IRS (Each, with free installation).

2. Open to any Hitachi variant in a similar price range.

3. Open to any Panasonic variant in a similar price range.

Would appreciate any feedback.

TIA!

IMO, if most of the time, the AC in both rooms will be on simultaneously, only then go for the multi split system. Else, keep a separate AC for each room.

If you are able to swing a good deal, then buy 2x AC, but i dont think that would be a good choice. Rather, if you dont need extremely good cooling in your room, would suggest a swap + new AC in front room.

However, if the new one goes in your bedroom, since you plan to keep it on for 9 hrs each day, IMO, get a 5 star rated AC. AFAIK, there will be some small savings in electricity.

vivek.krishnan said:
IMO, if most of the time, the AC in both rooms will be on simultaneously, only then go for the multi split system. Else, keep a separate AC for each room.

If you are able to swing a good deal, then buy 2x AC, but i dont think that would be a good choice. Rather, if you dont need extremely good cooling in your room, would suggest a swap + new AC in front room.

However, if the new one goes in your bedroom, since you plan to keep it on for 9 hrs each day, IMO, get a 5 star rated AC. AFAIK, there will be some small savings in electricity.

Well, in the evenings, more often than not, both the A/C's will be on simultaneously. Is there any advantage in going for a multi unit air conditioner?

Secondly, I could always consider selling of the 1T Split that I have, and go in for 2x new A/C's - that way the service schedule etc. would be on par. Not to mention the 5 Star rating in both rooms would definitely be an added bonus. Someone even suggested I trade up for an inverter split, what are your thoughts on that?

I'm definitely not going to ignore the 5 Star rating. Considering my usage, an extra investment of 5K upfront would pay for itself in the first 6 months.

There is an advantage in using multi split only if you are using both often. The main advantage is lower power consumption. Secondly, only one outdoor unit. But IMO pricing will not be good.

IMO, get rid of the 1T and go for 2x new AC. However, as always, please w8 for more advice to flow in from the TE'ians, before making a decision.

vivek.krishnan said:
There is an advantage in using multi split only if you are using both often. The main advantage is lower power consumption. Secondly, only one outdoor unit. But IMO pricing will not be good.

IMO, get rid of the 1T and go for 2x new AC. However, as always, please w8 for more advice to flow in from the TE'ians, before making a decision.

Aye, been thinking about picking up 2x new units as well. However, what brand should I be going for? Stick to the Indian Samsung 5 Star or maybe go for Carrier / Hitachi / Daiking (3-5 Star) between 31-35K?

Since you are from Mumbai, availability of service should not be a problem. Since again, you are from Mumbai, corrosion of outdoor units must be considered. Daikin was planning to launch (I'm not sure if they already did) a unit for 26k to compete with the Koreans.

Cust service point of view,in general, LG & Samsung are supposed to be leading. You would need to get the unit serviced once a year.

5-star - consider your usage and then decide. Pl. note that the 5-star rating is valid for one year only, later on it keeps coming down. So if you are keen on 5-star, check the month of the BEE label on the unit. Last years 5-star would be this years 4-star.

I did not think it was worth the difference. 3-star was OK for me. I have 1 LG split by the way & 3 LG window AC in one place and 2 Carrier splits in another. Carrier also personally I did not face any issues (~1 year of use by my tenant), service was good at the place I live.

Multi-split eats up energy when only one room is in use. And if it conks, you loose AC in two rooms! So, I would say, go for two units.

Don't underestimate other brands. I almost finalized a Whirlpool one, it had a Toshiba compressor, but aesthetics were not OK.

Also, note that most of the frills are not useful.

All the best!

Jambumali said:
Cust service point of view,in general, LG & Samsung are supposed to be leading. You would need to get the unit serviced once a year.

You can add Panasonic to that list as well.

Had bought a 1.2T Cube sometime in Feb-end and the customer service has been top-notch by far. It appears Panasonic customers are entitled for a year's free service. The service engineer pays quarterly visits after confirming the visit over phone. Service includes cleaning the indoor unit's filter and the outdoor unit (using some blower). I never knew such a service was available since we have a couple of Carrier splits at my home for sometime now and never had this sort of service for the first year. Pretty good IMO.

In fact, the insulation over the supply and return lines near the outdoor unit had contracted owing to the summer heat and around 100 mm of those lines were being exposed. The guy promptly noticed it (something that I failed to do!), applied some extra insulation and duct-taped it, covering the lines completely. Panasonic has secured a place in my good books.

Please share if you plan to take single out door unit, 2 indoor unit A/C's .

Have been checking out, Found LG & Hitachi but reviews are not that great so not decided till now.

Gannu said:
You can add Panasonic to that list as well.

Had bought a 1.2T Cube sometime in Feb-end and the customer service has been top-notch by far. It appears Panasonic customers are entitled for a year's free service. The service engineer pays quarterly visits after confirming the visit over phone. Service includes cleaning the indoor unit's filter and the outdoor unit (using some blower). I never knew such a service was available since we have a couple of Carrier splits at my home for sometime now and never had this sort of service for the first year. Pretty good IMO.

In fact, the insulation over the supply and return lines near the outdoor unit had contracted owing to the summer heat and around 100 mm of those lines were being exposed. The guy promptly noticed it (something that I failed to do!), applied some extra insulation and duct-taped it, covering the lines completely. Panasonic has secured a place in my good books.

I'm glad you mentioned Panasonic. I've heard a few good things about them too. How's the performance on the Cube A/C's? I haven't really done any research on them, but they did grab my fancy. The sales folks at the Reliance Digital Store dissuaded me from considering this unit. Said the reports weren't out yet and it hasn't been doing so well in the Mumbai market. Would really appreciate your feedback.
invisiblex said:
Go for inverter A/cs

they have HOT air option too .. for winters.

I've been in Mumbai for 7 years now. Believe me, I've yet to see any "winters" when I've had to turn off the A/C at night and/or wish I'd had a heater. Trust me, I don't want the option even if it's free :) I LOVE the winters!
Praks said:
Please share if you plan to take single out door unit, 2 indoor unit A/C's .

Have been checking out, Found LG & Hitachi but reviews are not that great so not decided till now.

I'm contemplating getting 2x separate units. The cons of the single outdoor outweigh the pros. Moreover, I don't want to risk both my A/C's conking out.

One more thing, is it true that the 5 Star rating only lasts a year? This is the first I've heard of it. Moreover, someone on another forum suggested I stick to picking up a 1T instead of a 1.5T as the constant on and off process (when the unit trips) consumes more electricity as opposed to a 1T Split staying on to cool the large room.

Any ideas?

Mostly 1T would suffice.

The starting current each time the compressor of higher rated AC kicks-in is 5-7 tomes the normal operating current - so it would give your power meter a undesirable boost. Most of the times people end up buying much higher rated AC's than what they need. The sales guys also, in their ignorant bliss, push 1.5T much more than the1T which are looked as a "poor mans" option!

Read the star rating label in any shop the dates are mentioned.

i had similar requirement. i am also in ghatkopar. i bought 2 x 1.5 T split SANYO 3 star a/c at 22k a piece. will be installed this weekend. will update you on the cooling. my hall is 10 x 30 and bedroom is 14x14 ft.

Back