1 ton Inverter AC enough for 168 sq ft room ?

As already stated by everyone, a 1 Ton AC will not be perfect for your requirements. You can use it but the cooling will not be as quick as a 1.5 Ton.

Electricity costs will also be similar between the 1 Ton and 1.5 Ton as the 1 Ton will be actively cooling for much more time. Only difference will be the initial cost that you pay for buying it.

The only case where you can go for a 1 Ton for that area is when you have too much furniture (bed/cupboard), false ceiling, shelves etc which essentially reduce the overall volume to be cooled.

If you have a PC which is On for most of the time then that adds a lot of exhaust heat. Get a 1.5 Ton.

I have a room which is 18*11 [almost 200 sq feet], and a 1 ton freezes the room. Depends on whether the top is terrace and whether the room is facing east/west. This room is ground floor and has a floor above, and faces south, so no direct sunlight.

1 ton for 100 sq feet is IMO over doing it. In my nursing home we have 10*12 feet out patient rooms which all have .75 or .8 ton ACs and get very cold.

Deepak > So true there !

You may use this site for sizing http://www.energystar.gov/?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized

It also helps if you have proper window/door sealing & insulation and roof insulation if on top floor. I'm on top floor and on the west side, supposed to be the worst conditions as far as air-conditioning goes, I've a 145 sqft room, and I just replaced my old 1.5T hitachi with a 1T Panasonic. Cools in 30+ mins on 26degC settings. This is after I did a proper roof insulation of R-10+ value. I'm in the process of replacing my windows as well.

I posted this in the sharp LV thread, the post was de-merged by a mod into a separate thread ,the thread title should have included sharp 1 ton inverter AC , my question was only about this model ,

According to this a 1 ton inverter AC is equivalent to a 1.5 ton normal AC,

NjAKYQ4.jpg

My 1.5 ton sharp inverter AC cools a 216 sq feet top floor room easily, the 1 ton model may also be sufficient for a 168 sq feet room .

^^Dont know how they calculate these figures. I have an LG 1.5T window AC on first floor, it takes 20mins for it to cool the room to 22Deg. My freind is in the AC business and he suggested to go for a 1.5T for my room instead of 1T. I dont think he will give me wrong advise just to make some profit, in fact hhas saved me few thousand rupees on several occasions.
Probably they are publishing these due to the high cost of the inverters ACs and people shying away from them and instead opting for a normal AC within their budget. A lower tonnage inverter AC mayb able to cool a larger area than a normal AC, but I beleive it will reduce the savings on electricity bills due to the fact that the compressor will run at a slightly higher level (of electricity consumption) than if you would have installed an inverter AC with a higher tonnage.

^^Dont know how they calculate these figures. I have an LG 1.5T window AC on first floor, it takes 20mins for it to cool the room to 22Deg. My freind is in the AC business and he suggested to go for a 1.5T for my room instead of 1T. I dont think he will give me wrong advise just to make some profit, in fact hhas saved me few thousand rupees on several occasions.
Probably they are publishing these due to the high cost of the inverters ACs and people shying away from them and instead opting for a normal AC within their budget. A lower tonnage inverter AC mayb able to cool a larger area than a normal AC, but I beleive it will reduce the savings on electricity bills due to the fact that the compressor will run at a slightly higher level (of electricity consumption) than if you would have installed an inverter AC with a higher tonnage.
Don't think any company's strategy could be like that. All I could think of, was maybe the dealer was ignorant about this part since Interter ACs are still a new concept...

1 ton can work if the room is not on top floor and not exposed to direct light, if the location of your room is in relatively colder part of the building. but if its top floor then it might take long to cool the room, even in night since on top floor rooms the heat gets trapped inside the rooms. i live on top floor and my room is usually warmer in nights than in day time.

Most people don't consider de-rating when buying an AC. Over the years the efficiency usually takes a hit with any electrical device especially an Air-conditioner... So a 1.5 Ton in few years would actually be performing at less than 1.5 tons capacity..

Considering this I suppose a 1.5 Ton makes a better investment especially on an inverter AC...

I am in delhi , now will the 1 ton inverter be enough if its mainly used at night?
Probably should be ok in the nights. The heat-load calculator doesn't seem to be working properly, else you could estimate what you need w.r.t. your night-time conditions, i.e. lower ambient temperatures + no direct solar heat.

You also said your 1.5T is cooling a 216 sq. ft. room (is it during the night or during the day?), so assuming this 168 sq ft room is part of the same apartment, the 1T might just manage. Is your 1.5T dropping down to lower loads after cooling the room?

Probably they are publishing these due to the high cost of the inverters ACs and people shying away from them and instead opting for a normal AC within their budget.
Spot on.

Inverter or not, the compressor's rated cooling capacity is all that matters. The XP13LV has a rated cooling capacity of 3.6KW/ 1.02 Ton. It can run at higher speeds (at a big drop in efficiency) to increase this rating to 4.2KW/1.19 Ton. This is still nowhere near 1.5 Ton. Under-rating an inverter and squeezing performance out of it seems counter productive.

You also said your 1.5T is cooling a 216 sq. ft. room (is it during the night or during the day?), so assuming this 168 sq ft room is part of the same apartment, the 1T might just manage. Is your 1.5T dropping down to lower loads after cooling the room?

1.5 ton sharp MV inverter easily cools the 216 sqft room during day , power consumption on the AC display drops down after some time & remains between 0.1 & 0.5 KW , still after reading all the posts i feel 1.5 ton is the safer sensible choice .

Don't think any company's strategy could be like that. All I could think of, was maybe the dealer was ignorant about this part since Interter ACs are still a new concept...

@Arjun
You have made a wise choice.
And also on second thoughts regarding the figures published by sharp comparing a Inverter AC with normal AC (in your post above) - they have mentioned the test was at Delhi at 37 Deg C. ambient temp. Which is I think meant to sway the test figures into their claim. Remember Delhi does not has a humid climate like Mumbai and also the peak summer temp. there are way above 37 Deg. C. The cooling capacity of an AC will als get affected when there is more humidity in the air as in Mumbai. So w hile Delhi may have relatively less humid air, but the temp. there are also much higher compared to Mumbai. to cool a room a at 37 Deg. C ambient Temp in Mumbai, the AC will have to work a lil harder (as compared to Delhi) to remove all that moisture from the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sharp 18MV chills a 266sqft room with Terrace and situated in the west! But yes it goes up to 1.9Kw at ear chilling 16C temps that I set for an hour and then I set the Temps at a comfortable 25/26 C and it consumes between .5 and .7Kw in a hot afternoon!If its evening or 5 pm that power consumption stays put at .3/.4Kw. Amazing performance I would say! And that AC works great ,Kolkata is Hotter and Humid than mumbai any day.

Back