10 Realistic Steps to a Faster Web Site : Guide

dipdude

Skilled
This is just one point from about 10 points which are mentioned in detail on the site, it also has lot of references, a wonderful guide which is sure to be of help to webmaster's. :hap2:

10 Realistic Steps to a Faster Web Site

I’d like to give you a more realistic guide on how to achieve the goal. I have written my master thesis in computer sciences on this topic and will refer to it throughout the guide.

1. Determine the bottleneck

When you want to improve the speed of your website, you feel that it’s somehow slow. There are various points that can affect the performance of your page. Here are the most common ones.

Before we move on, you should always remember that you answer each question with your target audience in mind.

1.1. File Size

How much data is the user required to load before (s)he can use the page.

It is a frequent question, how much data your web page is allowed to have. You cannot answer this unless you know your target audience.

In the early years of the internet one would suggest a size of 30k max for the whole page (including images, etc.). Now that many people have a broadband connection, I think we can push the level to a value between 60k and 100k. Although, you should consider lowering the size if you also target modem users.

Still, the less data you require to download, the faster your page will appear.

1.2. Latency

The time it takes between your request to the server and when the data reaches your PC.

This time adds together from twice the network latency (which depends on the uplink of the hosting provider, the geographical distance between server and user, and some other factors) and the time it takes until the server produces the output.

Network latency can hardly be optimized without moving the server, so this guide will not cover this.The processing time of the server combines complex time factors and contains most often much room for improvement.

Mods if you feel it's in wrong section, do move it, thanks :)

Back