110-120V 60Hz to 220-240v 50-60Hz converter/adapter help?

sabret00the

Disciple
Hi guys I need a Converter which can convert the voltage of a electrical gadget bought from USA rated 110-120v 60Hz to 220-240v 50-60Hz rating so that I may use it in India.

Can someone help me in this regard?

I have searched on ebay and found the two adapters as mentioned below:

eBay India: Voltage Convertor 220 Volt to 110 V 1600 watt (item 140440354378 end time 21-Aug-2010 14:11:33 IST)

eBay India: voltage converter 220volts to 110 volt 250watt 250w (item 140428708064 end time 23-Aug-2010 00:00:00 IST)

I'm not sure if these would solve my purpose or not? :huh:

You didn't mention which equipment you intend to use!!

First adapter, which is also cheaper one is non-sinusoidal/square wave. Not recommended of delicate electronics.

Second adapter, costly one has not mentioned whether its sinusoidal or not, check with the seller. If its sinusoidal you can use it for delicate electronics equipments.

Buddy I need this to power my Logitech X540 which I bought from the USA. I think I'll need one which would be able to take a load of 100-200W.

BTW I was thinking about getting it re-wired. Anyone knows a good electrician in Bangalore who can do this?

excalibur said:
You didn't mention which equipment you intend to use!!

First adapter, which is also cheaper one is non-sinusoidal/square wave. Not recommended of delicate electronics.
Wrong, the first is just a transformer, it outputs whatever you feed it at a lower voltage. Given you get sine at your place that is what will be output albeit at 110V, there is no question of square wave here whatsoever.

It's price nearly Rs.400 is also very expensive, these items should be no more than Rs.250 in the shops.

excalibur said:
Second adapter, costly one has not mentioned whether its sinusoidal or not, check with the seller. If its sinusoidal you can use it for delicate electronics equipments.
I think this one handles frequency conversion as well. US uses 60hz we use 50hz.

For a speaker system i'm not sure if frequency conversion is required.

A friend picked up the first kind to use for a pair of BOSE noise cancelling headphones.

Well these just converted the voltage using a step down transformer,it doesn't convert the frequency.

Aries electronics also do rewinding of transformers.but easy to get a converter.the frequency difference has no effect on audio,as said earlier i use a giga works from a 220 to 110v converter for the past few years.

adder said:
Well these just converted the voltage using a step down transformer,it doesn't convert the frequency.
OK, but why the cost difference of nearly 5 times between the two items then ?

It looks like the '250 watt' model uses a transformer (recommended) and the '1600 watt' model uses a voltage doubler using diodes and caps (not recommended). That is why it is smaller and cheaper than the lower-rated one, you'll see there is a specific caveat that says 'resistive loads only'. You are not advised to run audio appliances through this converter.

The one rated for higher watts has a transistor,its only meant for electrical items (they come with a warning/caution note)like hair dryer,vaccum cleaner etc .Not for electronic items,using that will make the converter go kaput in a few hrs,since i have ruined 3 transistor based converters in the past not one survived more then a day of use with electronic products which run on DC ,

I have a 2.5Kva converter which I got for 2.5k (couple of years back) in SJP road, Blore. I use it for my Z680 speakers and other 110V items. The problem was that I needed a 1Kva converter but they had only 0.5 and the 2.5Kva one. So had to go for the higher one.

But looking at the X540 specs, you need something in the 200w range. Since you are located in Blore, check it out in SJP road. You should be able to get a better deal for 250W converter shown in ebay. I dont think it will be 1.1k. You would probably get a 1Kva converter for around 1.2-1.3k :)

Back