15" laptop for development

Checksum

Skilled
I am looking for a good 15" laptop for development and occasional gaming. I currently own a 13" macbook, but prolonged sessions strain my eyes due to the small screen, and it is quickly getting outdated. Should have at least a Core i5 processor, 4GB of ram and a dedicated graphics card, and good battery life. I also would like to fire up TF2 or CS:S once in a while, so that should be able to run as well.

I was looking at the 15" Macbook Pro that comes with a Radeon HD 6490M, but that thing doesn't come cheap. I might be able to get that model from Singapore along with a student discount for around 90,000 INR. This will be my last choice purely because of the price. Otherwise, I'm really comfortable with a Mac and love the build quality and battery life it offers.

If there are any alternatives, I would love to explore them. I do hope that there are models from Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo for around 60-70k that fit my requirement. I don't follow the tech scene anymore, so don't have any idea on what's good. I can also wait a couple of months before the purchase. So any pointers appreciated.

If you have a 70k budget then go for Dell XPS 15 with Core i7 Quad Core, Nvidia GT540M, B+RG FHD screen, maybe 2 years complete cover.

Though I would suggest you wait for about a month and a half as by then the updated Core i7 2670QM will make its way to the XPS 15.

I own an XPS 15 But wouldnt recommend if you travel with it.

I suggest you to go for the XPS 15z as it is light and Better.. It is XPS 15 done right in my opinoin.

Just go for the i7 Model. As today's i7 will compete with tomorrow's middle order Ivy Bridge

@babu.mohan10, thanks for your suggestions. I've had bad experiences with dell in the past, and would like to aviod them if possible. The XPS 15 looks good, but has very average battery life.

@teja92, was just reading up on Ivy Bridge and seems like it will be a update worth waiting for.

I am a great fan of the MBP's build quality, so if I don't find any other laptop to my liking, I'd rather wait till June/July next year and get the updated MBP with Ivy Bridge. And nothing can beat the MBP's battery life when used for development (a couple of sites open, a text editor and music playing in the background).

If you are in no hurry, then yes wait up till next year. :)

Otherwise the Sony Vaio SE with Full HD 1080p 15.5 inch screen and 2kg weight with upto 9 hours battery life is a good option. And also the Samsung Series 7 though it won't have a Full HD option it comes with i7 quad core and AMD 6750M GPU.

Both will be launched in a month or so.

Back