TRAI Slashes Call Termination Charge (IUC) to 6 Paise per Minute

swatkats

Skilled
The telecom regulator on Tuesday cut the Interconnection Usage charge to 6 paise per minute from 14 paise currently, a move that had been sought by India’s newest telecom operator Reliance Jio

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) said, “Mobile call connection charge cut to 6 paise per minute from 14 paise currently, effective October 1.”

Trai added that there would be no call termination charges applicable from 1 January 2020.

The IUC had been the focus of bitter exchanges between new entrant Reliance Jio and incumbent operators such as Airtel.

“Lower termination charges are therefore likely to benefit consumers overall (both fixed and mobile) because operators will have greater retail pricing flexibility. Operators would be able to offer consumers a wider variety of retail packages and tariff structures,” Trai said in its explanatory memorandum issued on Tuesday evening, as part of the regulation.

Older telecom firms wanted it to be raised to at least 30 paise, while Reliance Jio wanted it cut to zero. Reliance Jio said in July that India’s top three telecom firms earned Rs1.04 trillion in the past five years by not implementing a 2011 regulatory road map to cut IUC to zero.

Source: http://www.livemint.com/Industry/hV...s-over-Airtel-as-Trai-cuts-IUC-to-6-pais.html

>Older telecom firms wanted it to be raised to at least 30 paise
>Reliance Jio said in July that India’s top three telecom firms earned Rs1.04 trillion in the past five years by not implementing a 2011 regulatory road map to cut IUC to zero.

They have been running a cartel

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, good one TRAI, way to piss off BSNL even more.

They're already blocking incoming call fwd'ing from Jio. Since call flow is nowadays heavily skewed from Jio to others, this was their only way to earn something. Now they will be even more at a loss. I just told my aunt who works in BSNL yesterday, all the operators deserve this for ripping of the public for so many years. Friggin 250 bucks per GB etc.

However, it's a matter of concern that the supposed 'regulator' is doing everything in favour of Jio. Today this might seem pro-consumer but eventually it will simply lead to another kind of monopoly.

As i said, yes, in the short term. But a govt. regulator being so biased in favour of a private company is never a good sign.

^ Makes it Easier for Jio to continue "Unlimited calls forever" thing.. Consumers is the king ultimately. ;)
Consumer is never the king. Company wants market share and so tries everything to damage the revenue stream of established companies. Once their market consolidation is complete, they will join the cartel as the leader.

But most people won't really feel sorry for AVoId as they fleeced us for quite a long time with their data price.

Even roaming within one state should become free. Currently all operators are charging roaming once we go out of the home circle.

i don't want to port to Jio now. People are complaining about low download speeds and network problems. I wonder what happened. When he was giving out internet and voice calls free it was working like a charm and when people started to pay, the quality dropped? I don't understand his business model.

^^ Same here. I was planning to port my old primary number when my 'temporary' jio number subs runs out dec 6th. But a friend of mine whose office shifted from belapur to mahape opposite MBP is now sandwiched right between mota and chota bhais campuses. He says network is full but absolutely congested, calls are a major pita and data too, even whatsapp doesn't update for ages sometiimes. So i guess the question of 'what will happen when they reach capacity' has been answered now. :-/

^^ Same here. I was planning to port my old primary number when my 'temporary' jio number subs runs out dec 6th. But a friend of mine whose office shifted from belapur to mahape opposite MBP is now sandwiched right between mota and chota bhais campuses. He says network is full but absolutely congested, calls are a major pita and data too, even whatsapp doesn't update for ages sometiimes. So i guess the question of 'what will happen when they reach capacity' has been answered now. :-/

Quite possible. I am seeing this only when at major train stations like Ghatkopar, Andheri and Borivali, and that too only with data speeds - no issues with voice. Else, jio working fine elsewhere. Secondly, those using the jio4g app also have this issue.

Ironically, its Airtel that has taken a toss for me and my office colleagues, even at home.

Jio works flawlessly here in Kharghar, very rarely is there a cross connection issue in the evenings, so this is definitely a congestion issue in high density areas. Thought 4g would somehow solve that but nopes.

Airtel QoS started getting screwed around 2014 after loop dissolved so haven't taken them seriously since then, biggest operator whatever.

Jio works flawlessly here in Kharghar, very rarely is there a cross connection issue in the evenings, so this is definitely a congestion issue in high density areas. Thought 4g would somehow solve that but nopes.

Airtel QoS started getting screwed around 2014 after loop dissolved so haven't taken them seriously since then, biggest operator whatever.

Oh yeah, cross connection - this is almost zero, got one last week after ages. Jio needs to fix this.

Secondly, the issue of speed is not that bad in stations, its not like you need to wait for ages, but not the speeds that you expect. Someone needs to look at it from the band point of view.

The friend i mentioned is using an iPhone se which had awesome speeds otherwise, with CA he was getting 40M down in kharghar itself. Think it has all the bands too. But in Mahape he says even WhatsApp messages take minutes to come through sometimes. This is totally not acceptable quality. And he has trouble making calls too. Poor guy is stuck in a rcom-mbp ril-rcp location sandwich!:p

Back