2.0 audio setup advice

codelad

Disciple
From a Edifier C2 setup (backstory here), considering an upgrade to a 2.0 studio monitor + a USB sound interface system.

* Looking for something basic and inexpensive (~15K), since it's my first foray into anything remotely audio-enthusiast grade.
* Doesn't need to sound perfect. Just starting out, so good enough is good enough.
* For use in a small closed room (12"x12"). Intend to place speakers on my desktop.
* Never play at loud volumes. Nor prefer bass-heavy or enhanced sounds.
* For general use - a bit of music, movies, speech. Occassional video, sound editing.
* Need an input to plug in my guitar and get rid of the finicky amp that came bundled with it.
* Don't need Bluetooth.
* Need Linux compatibility (for the USB interface).

Attempted doing a bit of research on my own - remain just as clueless.

Would greatly appreciate advice, ideas, product suggestions, offers if you have something to sell - pretty much anything you wish to throw at me. Thank you.

Will be following this thread. I was posting randomly all over the place but didn't get around to making a new thread. Got loads of suggestions from people here, but just can't seem to decide. If i can i'll share the old suggestions here.

Decided to upgrade in stages and came up with a rough plan (in the same order):

1. Studio monitors (bought a JBL Pro 104, a few weeks ago for ~11K).

2. USB audio interface (just put up a WTB thread here).

3. Eventually upgrade my instrument.

Hesitant to spend too much to begin with. So will start with something basic, and rinse/repeat #1 till #3 if I get really hooked.

Interesting!!
I'm somewhat confused though. Are you planning to record the sound coming out of the speakers in a DAW?
Or is it for practice and casual recording ?
If you're planning to setup a home studio to record guitars, you need to hook up your amp too before the cabs ( your JBL speakers).
The signal chain: guitar- guitar amp- cabinet ( speakers)- a microphone ( preferably 2, one close to the axis, another off axis)- mic out to your DAW through audio interface.
If that's too much, there are much cheaper workarounds..
Guitar- audio interface- DAW ( Put an amp sim and cab sim software AFTER the guitar in audio channel of your DAW)- set the DAW output to your speakers.
If you're not familiar with DAWs ( Digital Audio Workstation) download a copy of Bandlab's Sonar.
It possibly comes with some TH3 amp sims and cabs. Fantastic free amp sims are available too ( Google them, forgot the names, as I'm using IK Amplitube only for a long time, it's expensive but very easy to set up and use, but free ones sound pretty darn good)
For interface, go with Focusrite Scarlett solo, it comes bundled with very useful softwares too.
Would suggest Focusrite 2i2, but it will exceed your budget considerably.
If you're not already familiar with digital recording, please don't bypass it and plug the guitar straight to the speakers with USB interface, it will sound real bad and you will be stuck completely with the single clean DI tone.
Hoping you are already in a band or planning to join one. Please take the full advantage of the digital recording revolution.
Please feel free to ask anything regarding your guitar rig set up, will try my best to explain in more details.
All the best brother...rock on...

I'm somewhat confused though. Are you planning to record the sound coming out of the speakers in a DAW?
Or is it for practice and casual recording ?
The signal chain: guitar- guitar amp- cabinet ( speakers)- a microphone ( preferably 2, one close to the axis, another off axis)- mic out to your DAW through audio interface.
If that's too much, there are much cheaper workarounds..
Guitar- audio interface- DAW ( Put an amp sim and cab sim software AFTER the guitar in audio channel of your DAW)- set the DAW output to your speakers.
Would suggest Focusrite 2i2, but it will exceed your budget considerably.
Hoping you are already in a band or planning to join one. Please take the full advantage of the digital recording revolution.
Please feel free to ask anything regarding your guitar rig set up, will try my best to explain in more details.
All the best brother...rock on...

The setup will merely be for practice, and perhaps for casual recording. As someone who started rather late, and just a year ago, I don't have fancy ambitions or the desire to join a band. I'm fortunate to be able to afford 1~2 hours a day, and practise/play for the fun (and the challenge) of it. The closest I may get to playing together with someone would be with my sons, who practice with their keyboard on their own (as I do). Still a long way to go - together, we are still a beginner's beginner.

My preferred approach would be to keep it simple and go with the guitar -> audio interface -> software option, at least to begin with. And since I solely run Linux on all my machines, my software options may be limited. I have had a fair bit of exposure to Audacity (though, it's not a DAW) having done some sound editing, but haven't done any recording work yet. Once I have the hardware all set up, I plan to seriously look at Ardour (a proper cross-platform DAW).

Yes, would love to get the Focusrite 2i2 (or equivalent) if I can it used and cheap. Also, the Focusrite models are known to work under Linux.

Most of the time I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing, and just play for the sake of it and enjoy doing so. I also realise I'm gradually (and very slowly) getting better at this, so that's a nice little incentive. Like, the beginner songs on JustinGuitar (on YT) that took weeks to sound remotely recognisable, now take a couple of days to sound half-decent.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! Like to believe I'm in for a long haul and trying to take one small step at a time.

Back