Storage Solutions 2.5 inch portable 500 or higher reqd- WD or Seagate?

Godfather

Disciple
Hello friends,
I need to buy a portable 500GB hdd as i am retiring my old desktop pc and moving on to using a laptop full-time due to need for work.

I have read that WD drives have 3 years warranty and Seagate portable drives have 5 years warranty. WD has less overall warranty but i think their replacement can be done from home while one has to go to rma centre for Seagate replacement. So maybe the odds are balanced out.

Honestly, i feel even 3 years warranty is good enough and mainly i don't want a hdd dying. I will prefer a hdd that has less warranty maybe but also has less chance of dying on me than one that has lots of warranty but dies often.

Also since these are usb drives and they will be somewhat slow, i will buy the one that has good speed/performance and doesn't slow over time.

So which one do i buy- WD or Seagate? Also WD has 640GB portable i think. Is that better than buying 500GB?

^ That was a technical query by the OP imho.

While kkndka was just trying to be helpful by pointing out good deals, please do not ask for links to ebay deals and spam in the tech section.

Please keep the market discussions/activity restricted to those sections- please. :)

Just got my WD passport ysterday...its almost 3/4th the size of Seagate..

I sold my seagate last week to get the WD and I am ultra happy now:)

The HDD looks damn cool...just the size of a whisky tin:)...smaller than the seagate. Although there is a trade b/n the 5yr and 3 yr warranty; Seagate 500Gb is also almost 500-600 bucks expensive than WD

For me...as of now, WD is a better buy. (But somehow I like seagate after the WD green drives failures)

Why is there a huge price difference in the prices of drives which don't require an adapter for power? The difference is almost to the tune of 70% more than the one with an adapter.

The 2.5" are small and ultra portable(They are the ones used in laptops too). These are pocketable too. You can easily carry the WD passport in ur jeans pocket.

Whereas the ones that require adapter are 3.5" drives used in the desktops. They are bigger, heavier and not so portable. So these are cheaper.

Back