2 ISP Internet connection for failsafe setup help needed

devi691

Disciple
hi guyz ,,i need help.
I own a cyber cafe,
using 1 internet connection already ,so setup is like
ISP 1 > fiber> archer C7 router 1750 (192.168.0.1),> Gigabyte 24Port Switch > 20 pcs connected with manual IP ( 192.168.0.201 to 220) gateway is 192.168.0.1
now today i got new connection as failsafe or backup
so it has this setup
ISP 2(hathway)>some hathway wifi router(192.168.1.1)> lan with DHCP

now as gateways are different my PCs will not connect by itself to ISP 2 .

some friend suggested me about buying Load balancing Router from amazone with is costing Rs 2600 https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjbuqn_q4DkAhUQb30KHe4mBN8Q9aACCDk&adurl=

so is this the solution of my problem?or something else?

I am pretty sure you are going to get the TP-Link 470/480 router in the link. This is extremely buggy when used with multiple computers - say 10+. Instead, if you can arrange for a spare computer - anything which is within 4 years with a PCIe slot AND spend around 5k+ on quad port NICs, you can run pfsense. This is a FreeBSD based routing solution and works beautifully. You can also setup advanced features say prioritization and limiters and what not.

I have used both - the TP-Link (i have some 3+ devices sitting idle somwhere) and pfsense and would suggest to use the latter.

There are no models for this - just get any spare PC which is around 4 years old Max and buy the quad port NIC - this ranges from 5K onwards for used and 13k onwards for new.

I am pretty sure you are going to get the TP-Link 470/480 router in the link. This is extremely buggy when used with multiple computers - say 10+. Instead, if you can arrange for a spare computer - anything which is within 4 years with a PCIe slot AND spend around 5k+ on quad port NICs, you can run pfsense. This is a FreeBSD based routing solution and works beautifully. You can also setup advanced features say prioritization and limiters and what not.

I have used both - the TP-Link (i have some 3+ devices sitting idle somwhere) and pfsense and would suggest to use the latter.
I think there is a catch
If the 470/480 is used purely for WAN failover/link aggregation, it works rather nicely.

So in a scenario where you have a pre existing router (presumably one that works well) and you just need an upstream aggregator, the 470 does actually work well (other than the double NATting required - but that shouldn't really hit performance).

The biggest issue with the 470 for me was the 100mbps cap but if the upstream links are sub 100mbps then it may just work fine

I think there is a catch
If the 470/480 is used purely for WAN failover/link aggregation, it works rather nicely.

So in a scenario where you have a pre existing router (presumably one that works well) and you just need an upstream aggregator, the 470 does actually work well (other than the double NATting required - but that shouldn't really hit performance).

The biggest issue with the 470 for me was the 100mbps cap but if the upstream links are sub 100mbps then it may just work fine

Possible. I have not tried this, but even with 5-6 computers I found it to be lagging. This was some 3 years or so back, and after updating to the latest firmwares.

Secondly, for me, it defeats the purpose of the device. If its only useful as a router, that is....

You can put openwrt on Archer C7 and use mwan3 for load balancing or failover. It works quite well and something I used for few years before jumping onto pfsense.

Double NAT is horrible, avoid that if you can.

I have WiFi router - TP Link 470 - Couple of isp. It has been working pretty well for last 4 years.

Although they are in active active configuration, my observation is that the load balancing is not that smart.

However works absolutely fine in failover configuration

i dont want to combine /merge both connection, not even planning to manage speed or something, i just want if 1 net is down , another should start working
for 24 pcs switch.

I have WiFi router - TP Link 470 - Couple of isp. It has been working pretty well for last 4 years.

Although they are in active active configuration, my observation is that the load balancing is not that smart.

However works absolutely fine in failover configuration

How many users and in what configurations? My experience with them has been so bad, I relegated them to the trashbin.

I think its the software thats the issue.
Post automatically merged:

i dont want to combine /merge both connection, not even planning to manage speed or something, i just want if 1 net is down , another should start working
for 24 pcs switch.

What you want is failover.

The other option is load balancing - where it uses both networks simultaneously to serve the requests.

How many users and in what configurations? My experience with them has been so bad, I relegated them to the trashbin.

I think its the software thats the issue.
Post automatically merged:

What you want is failover.

The other option is load balancing - where it uses both networks simultaneously to serve the requests.

guyz please suggest me between tplink
TL-R480T+ v9 and TP-LINK TL-R600VPN v4
for 24 gaming pcs

Last edited:
Back