34Mbps - The internet speed at Prime Minister's Office (RTI query reveals)

My personal connection at home now without the weird data limits you find in India... And I pay around 2400 INR a month for it.

Words like unlimited 6gb connection or diwali GB festival are a joke in my opinion. India ISPs are just laughing all the way to bank.

3800077393.png

1GB = 1024MB = 8192 Mb
Speed = 8192/(9*60) = 15.xx Mbps ~= 2MBps

Here B = Bytes and b= bits and 1Byte= 8bits.
All ISPs advertise speed in Megabits per second whereas your download manager shows speed in Mega/KiloBytes per second.
So your PC is getting the correct speed according to your plan, but I have no explanation for the speeds on your mobile, if this discrepancy is true for every download.
Its true for every download. Sorry I was considering 'm'bps. My mobile gets full alotted bandwidth whereas my PC gets the bandwidth/8

Totally offtopic and noob question but please help me understand here.
Say MTNL starts providing 1 Gbps Internet connection then it can only serve 21 customers as per its current capacity ?
Sorry if the question is totally stupid.
No, Not by far. hypothetically, If Google fiber says it has 10,000 1Gbps customers it doesn't mean it has 10Tbps bandwidth to serve its customers. We're probably talking 200- 300 Gbps in actual.

MTNL Mumbai has 6.5Lakh customers and if everyone has 1mbps connection then it should be 650 Gbps.. Right? No.. The actual figure is around 13Gbps. ;)

^ ISP has no control over the speed once it goes out of his network/country. The reason why i asked you to check out Leaseweb server is they have huge bandwidth capacity spare all the time and they have good network routes.
You should have no problem when downloading from Apple or MS servers. But the connection is not that great as i expected but it should do the job. :)

I didnt really need a 1 gbps connection but they lowered the prices recently so I got it. For me 100-200 mbps was plenty. For me what matters is gaming latency for Asian servers and P2P.

I can now download at a nice 10-20 MB/S which is perfect for me. Which is like 88 - 160 mbps.

cap.JPG

Back