3D Motion Gaming Controller Coming to a PC

baccilus

Skilled
What's more, it's going to be much better than consoles and support a huge number of games:

If you are like many PC gamers, you probably have been tempted to buy a Wii or a Kinect so you can interact with your games in a whole new way. Heck, we have all seen the commercials and it looks like with these 3D tracking devices you get to be in the game! Well, it seems Razer didn't like that too much as the only true gaming is PC gaming and went about rectifying this perceived limitation of PC gamers' experience.

The end result of Razer's hard work is a partnership with Sixense (and their TrueMotion controller) and the all new Razer Hydra. Much like those console based 3D motion tracking devices, the Razer Hydra allows you to really interact with your games in a whole new way. With that being said this is not some Wii clone as this bad boy is reported to be eons more precise thanks to its magnetic motion sensing technology so you wont be flailing around like a goofball (or at least that is how we felt when playing with our Wii... before we sold it). Even though the Hydra has just been announced it already is compatible with 125 titles including Portal 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Left 4 Dead 2, Bulletstorm and etc! This means it is no one hit wonder and should become even more prevalent as time goes by.​

Source- Razer Hydra: 3D Motion Gaming Controller Coming to a PC Near You!

I found a similar controller on ebay:

Wireless PC Remote with Motion Sensor For Motion Gaming | eBay

I just experienced PS3 move at a gaming parlor near my house and absolutely loved it. I played a sword fighting game and for the first time I was thinking of getting a PS3 instead of upgrading my PC. I guess I will will stick with PC for now.

Game Controllers exist for PC but you don't/rarely see developers make Fighting games for PC. Also I don't think a lot of users will go for it. It is just like the usb steering wheel on PC. Few gamers use the steering wheel, some use gamepads and the rest stick to keyboard for racing games.

Aman27deep said:
Cause no one gets a pc to play motion games :p
LOL... right.. But if someone already has a PC and this thing costs much lesser that a PS3+Move, won't it be a good choice. However, that fighting game argument is solid. There are no great fighting games for PC even though controllers exist for PC too.

How about this? Do you guys think this would bomb too?

Kinect Likely Coming to PC

Microsoft head Steve Ballmer hinted that Kinect will be getting PC support in the future.

In an interview with BBC News during the Consumer Electronics Show this week, Ballmer stated that while he has no announcements to make, the company will give PC users the ability to plug in their Kinect cameras.

"We'll support [PC] in a formal way in the right time," Ballmer said about Kinect. "When we've got an announcement to make, we'll make it."

Ballmer also reiterated Microsoft's long-term plan for Kinect, which involves going beyond just catering towards traditional gamers.

"We certainly started out with Xbox very focused in on gaming," he added. "We're trying to do two major things, though. We're trying to move beyond gaming to include the world of socialization, movies, TV, and of music. And we're trying to make the whole experience accessible to everybody in the family, not just the traditional gamer."

Primesense, the company that created the technology used in Kinect, recently announced it teamed up with computer manufacturer ASUS to develop and release the WAVI Xtion, a PC-based 3D motion camera this year.

IGN

Bluffmaster said:
How about this? Do you guys think this would bomb too?

Suppose you have a 24 inch monitor. Now imagine playing on this monitor from a distance of 6 feet.

... I don't think it will work for me. What about you?

^As long as its fun. If they are bringing it to a PC, they must have surely thought about it. Kinect has a lot of potential, we just need some good games to recognize it.

It seems really impressive in their website. Would love to read a review of this.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Just have a look at the supported games list

Razer’s Hydra PC Motion Control Set for June | Elder-Geek.com

PHP:
A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
Alien Swarm
Altitude
Amnesia
And Yet It Moves
Assassin’s Creed 2
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood
Audiosurf
Batman Arkham Asylum
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Beat Hazard
Beyond Good and Evil
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Bit Trip Runner
Borderlands
Braid
Bulletstorm
Chains
Chime
Civilization 4
Civilization 5
COD: Black Ops
COD: Modern Warfare
COD: Modern Warfare 2
COD: World at War
Cogs
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
Crysis 2
Darksiders
DeathSpank
Defense Grid
Deus EX
Deus EX: Invisible War
Dog Fighter
Doom 3
Eversion
Fallout 3
Fallout 3: New Vegas
Galcon Fusion
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Half Life 2
Half-Life
Hitman
Hitman 2
Hoard
Just Cause 2
Kane & Lynch
Kane & Lynch 2
Killing Floor
Larva Mortus
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Lego Starwars 3: The Clone Wars
Lego: Batman
Lego: Harry Potter
Lego: Indiana Jones
Lego: Star Wars
Lucidity
Machinarium
Magicka
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Metro 2033
Mirror’s Edge
Monday Night Combat
Mount & Blade
Mount & Blade: Warband
Oblivion
Obulis
Oddworld: Abe’s Exodus
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Osmos
Painkiller
Painkiller: OVERDOSE
Peggle
Plain Sight
Plants vs Zombies
Poker Night at the Inventory
Portal
Psychonauts
Quantz
Red Faction 2
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
Rush
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Sam and Max 101
Serious Sam HD
Shadowgrounds
Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Shatter
Sims 3
Singularity
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Super Laser Racer
Super Meat Boy
Swarm Arena
Team Fortress 2
The Ball
The Void
The Wonderful End of the World
Titan Quest
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Toki Tori
Torchlight
Trials 2
Trine
Warhammer 40,000
Windosill
World of Goo
Worms Reloaded
Yosumin!
Zeno Clash

Kinect can actually be useful for more than just gaming. Bringing it officially to PC will be the key to unlocking its potential. I read somewhere that windows 8 is likely to get gesture recognition etc. Kinect is already amazing at doing that. Also, a lot of Kinects more advanced features were scaled back to make it work with the 360. PC will help achieve its full potential.

pretttt said:
Kinect can actually be useful for more than just gaming. Bringing it officially to PC will be the key to unlocking its potential. I read somewhere that windows 8 is likely to get gesture recognition etc. Kinect is already amazing at doing that. Also, a lot of Kinects more advanced features were scaled back to make it work with the 360. PC will help achieve its full potential.
Is that why Kinect support has been added in the latest Linux Kernel?

Some latest news around tells me that Motion gaming is going to get big. I just want a Dance Central kind of game on PC. I just love dancing and I love gaming. Both together will be awesome:
This is an epic idea. This is coming for PC but you don't actually have to keep your PC close to the HDTV to use it. It will relay via WiFi. Attach the main unit to PC and the Camera to the HDTV and play. They overcame the one hurdle that was keeping Motion gaming away from PCk. Now small size of PC monitors is not a problem anymore.

Asus Unveils WAVI Xtion PC Gaming Console - The Tech Labs

One company made it possible to use existing webcams for motion gaming:

PC And Mac To Get Motion Control Gaming | The Bitbag

^^Looks great...but the other bigger hurdle is getting developers to make motion gaming titles for PC.No company is gonna make titles for the small number who will own an ASUS kinect-like peripheral.Unless this becomes some sort of standard and many companies release the same WiFi enabled,HDTV interfacing Kinect-like device and lots of people go buy them.

So IMO Motion Gaming will remain on consoles for quiet a while.Maybe PrimeSense technology will be used for gesture detection and stuff like that for the PC in Windows 8.

Well, if it comes to Windows for gestures and Microsoft manages to sell some, I think developers will come too. Morover, if they are already porting all these games from consoles, I guess this will be ported too, even if the market isn't too big. I just want Dance Central on it :)

Back