3d work station_need help

Hi frnds,
i'm goin 2 assemble 3d work station..

Budget...> 48k

Usage....> applications like Zbrush,Maya,Real flow etc

i need a good perfomance system in this budget..

pls suggest a good config including moniter and ups

thanx in advance:D

1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 48K
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
1. CPU - Intel i5
2. Motherboard - intel DP55WB
3. GPU - Nvidia geforce 9800 gt
4. RAM - KIngston 2X2GB
5. Monitor - Dell s2209w
6. SMPS - Corsair VX450

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1.i'm not keeping any thing bcoz it is a compleatly new rig

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU - Intel i5 or i7
2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
3. GPU - no idea any low end quadro will do

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
nothing

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
1. Bangalore

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
1. Yes

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1.Work station(maya , z brush nd real flow)

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
1. Amd..i heard It cant beat perfomance of intel i7

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
1.NO Games

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. workstation
12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows Xp 64 bit
2. Linux - Ubuntu Studio

now u can answer me rite....:huh:..

you want to sell off a very good rig and then buy a new very good rig? I don't think it's a good idea. Getting a better GPU should be more than enough and by not selling everything and buying everything agian, you will have much more money to put on GPU.

desiibond said:
you want to sell off a very good rig and then buy a new very good rig? I don't think it's a good idea. Getting a better GPU should be more than enough and by not selling everything and buying everything agian, you will have much more money to put on GPU.

i don't wanna sell my old rig..i dint say that:mad:...y r u making out things:huh::S
...m keeping my old rig and i want 2 buy a new rig...
When i say i want 2 assemble a new work station..does it means i wanna sell off my old rig!!!!:rofl:....seriously i dont understand u guys..wot r u guys smoking by the way!!!

y u guys spaming my post !!! if u can suggest a rig pls do so...

Listen man you need a big ass powerful rig especially for those realflow simulations . The best proccy is CORE i7 920 go for that . As for gpu well mentalray makers are coming out with iray which will also use gpu to render your creations so I say go for a NVIDIA gpu which they recommend due to some reason :S . Also you need lots of video memory and ram for working in your workspace . I use a 1GB 9800gt with 4 gigs of ram but still in stupidly heavy scenes or a mesh with millions of polys it still doesn't work too well but I believe 6gigs of ddr3 will do just fine with a decent gpu . well thats it

core i7

good nvidia gpu

6gigs of ddr3 ram .

and thats about it at home level .

kalla_maakri said:
i don't wanna sell my old rig..i dint say that:mad:...y r u making out things:huh::S

...m keeping my old rig and i want 2 buy a new rig...

When i say i want 2 assemble a new work station..does it means i wanna sell off my old rig!!!!:rofl:....seriously i dont understand u guys..wot r u guys smoking by the way!!!

y u guys spaming my post !!! if u can suggest a rig pls do so...

you gave your current config and mentioned "1.i'm not keeping any thing bcoz it is a compleatly new rig" so your mention gave that meaning.

Anyways,

here is the config that came to my mind:

Phenom II X4 925: 7k-7.5k

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H: 5k-5.5k

Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 memory: 5.5k-6.5k

Seagate 7200.12 1Tb HDD: 4.5k

Dell 2209W : 9k approx

Logitech m/m keyboard and MX-518 mouse: 2k

CoolerMaster Elite 335 cabinet: 2.3k

Corsair VX450W: 4k

Quadro FX580: 10k or ATI FirePRO V3650 (if you can increase budget by 5k-7k, firepro V5700 would be a terrific addition).

Scorpy said:
Listen man you need a big ass powerful rig especially for those realflow simulations . The best proccy is CORE i7 920 go for that . As for gpu well mentalray makers are coming out with iray which will also use gpu to render your creations so I say go for a NVIDIA gpu which they recommend due to some reason :S . Also you need lots of video memory and ram for working in your workspace . I use a 1GB 9800gt with 4 gigs of ram but still in stupidly heavy scenes or a mesh with millions of polys it still doesn't work too well but I believe 6gigs of ddr3 will do just fine with a decent gpu . well thats it

core i7

good nvidia gpu

6gigs of ddr3 ram .

and thats about it at home level .

that's because you are using a fing gaming GPU for simulation. dump it and get a workstation class GPU

A workstation in 48,000? Isnt your budget a little low?

Since you are not gaming please dont go for these multi-GPU boards.And yes, do not expect a BIG performance boost while dealing with huge data loads in realtime.Say, you're working with a billion polygons onscreen.Dont think that having a good CPU and a Gfx to back it up will help you slice through all that data like cutting through butter.So, plan your workflow intelligently.

What is suggested properly is that you should focus on your CPU and RAM.

I recently took a new PC for my animation studies.What usually took me 6 hours to study, took me less than an hour.

My config is as follows

Core i7 860

MSI P55 GD80

Corsair 1333 DDR3 4 GB

Sapphire HD 5770

You wont ever regret taking these new core i7 processors.They are really fast.Big big time savers!!! The only one that will suit your budget is the 860.It's a little slower than the 920, but more cooler, and consumes less electricity.Plus, with the 920, you'll require to spend on a SLI/Crossfire motherboard, which will not be of any use to you.

Good luck simulating.And do tell me how much of an improvement do these new processors are in the RealFlow particle engine.I'll be checking this thread again. :)

And ya, do plan your simulations/rendering intelligently.Nothing will be more frustrating than letting a simulation/rendering run for 18 hours, and then learning that you could have done it in 3 by tweaking! :)

desiibond said:
you gave your current config and mentioned "1.i'm not keeping any thing bcoz it is a compleatly new rig" so your mention gave that meaning.
m sorry if u miss read my ansewr.. i think in that question they ment that..am i goin to Upgrade on current system or not...[am i keeping any thing(component) from old system for new rig]... so i said m not keeping any thing from my old for new one..i need a completly new rig... :).so simple :cool2:

nd thax 4 ur suggession:hap2:

And ya...about purchasing one of those workstation GPUs (Quadro/FireGL,et al), you should really reconsider considering your budget.

I had been to Rhythm and Hues 2 years back, and spoke to one of the Motion Tracking artists.He said that he regretted spending 40k (just) on a Quadro for rig then.He said that he should have settled for a cheaper alternative like the common GPUs used for gaming.He didnt cite his reasons, but I dont think you will be able to use a Quadro to it's fullest potential.Just be smart and buy a normal GPU.You'll be staying in your budget, and at the end of the day you'll be happy with what you get.

unonymouz said:
And ya...about purchasing one of those workstation GPUs (Quadro/FireGL,et al), you should really reconsider considering your budget.

I had been to Rhythm and Hues 2 years back, and spoke to one of the Motion Tracking artists.He said that he regretted spending 40k (just) on a Quadro for rig then.He said that he should have settled for a cheaper alternative like the common GPUs used for gaming.He didnt cite his reasons, but I dont think you will be able to use a Quadro to it's fullest potential.Just be smart and buy a normal GPU.You'll be staying in your budget, and at the end of the day you'll be happy with what you get.

Did that person buy and check normal GPU and try the same 3D work on it? And which card did he buy and why did he regret. Random stories won't work buddy. Why isn't it that he was given a underperforming card and motion tracking artist doesn't mean that he knows what is good and what is not in the market.

And that was 2yrs ago.

He had some Quadro series card that cost 40k 3 years ago.I met him 2 years ago, but he purchased his PC much before that.So, I'm assuming that it's 3 years ago.

He purchased a cheaper ATI 1900 series later on, and understood that he had basically wasted 40,000 which could have been used later on. He started off as a 3D artist and worked in other studios before he joined R&H, which means that he knew what he was talking about. He shifted over to Motion Tracking because he was interested in that department.

Now, I had asked him if I should invest in a Quadro, and he said that those cards are for studios which can shell out a lakh or more on a card.We cant utilize it efficiently.I did not know that you would be asking so many questions. Had I foreseen that, I would have taken his number, and fixed up a date between you two! :p

Now, if you are done analyzing every single post and word on this thread, I urge you to show me a grain of trust.This is not a debate.If this gentleman is asking for help, we should give it to him rather than argue who has the longest stick.

wots happening....y no one is Suggesting me good rig..pls help no..wot is happening to techenclave..!!no one is here 2 help me out!!! :huh::ashamed:

dude ? Go for corei7 with the 6gb of ram atleast k ? as for gpu it depends all on you ... if you think the gpu rendering will help you .. ( which will come later as not even vray and mentalray support it right now not even realflow) ..only ur cpu is currently used in rendering ur scenes and animations so think about the gpu ...

Scorpy said:
dude ? Go for corei7 with the 6gb of ram atleast k ? as for gpu it depends all on you ... if you think the gpu rendering will help you .. ( which will come later as not even vray and mentalray support it right now not even realflow) ..only ur cpu is currently used in rendering ur scenes and animations so think about the gpu ...

Hi..m here with a limited budget..i need help for building a complete rig..u can tell like go with i7 but..how much will it!! coast and will it suit in my budget (with other components)..which mobo is gud enoff in my buget..shud i ask abt this in every post!!!:p...............................just chek all the reply..no one suggest me a full rig!!!!!!.

does any one knw the price difference between i5 nd i7!!!

i need help for a complete rig GOD help me.....:clap:

silverbyte said:
You might get an extremely high boost in performance if you buy a small SSD and set your paging/swap files to be on that.

You could compromise on your CPU/RAM to budget for that. Again, please take this with a grain of salt because this is application dependent, but it is highly likely (Windows 7 4GB RAM for Maya Rendering - Windows 7 Forums)

wot is SSD!!is it ny kinda H/W ...if so wot is the price!!

no one is there 2 suggest a complete rig in my budget!!!!:ashamed:

Finally m suggesting my self a rig....as follows.wot do u think abt it(will it suit in my budget!!) nd also suggest a Graphics card ..which comes in budget (total budget..>48k).

core i5

Intel DP55 WB

3x 2gb kingston DDR3

500 GB WD Blue

CM Elite 335

Corsair VX450

LG DVD Writer

550 va apc

Graphic card..???

samsung 2233sw

Micro soft combo(keybord nd mouse)

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue: