FS: Storage Hardware 3TB WD Red NAS SATA Internal HDD Brand New (open pack)

N

NotMyRealName

• Product name : WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive ( WD30EFRX)
  • URL : http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810
  • Specs : http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=1087&language=1
  • Expected price : Rs. 9,300/-
  • Shipping costs : As actuals
  • Date of purchase : 22 Feb, 2014
  • Warranty : Official Indian warranty till 7 Feb, 2017 (3 years)
  • Reason for sale : Need to downgrade - see below *
  • Purchase invoice available : Yes
  • Product condition : Brand new, mint condition. Pack opened only for testing
  • Accessories included : Comes with a WD Red Nas Storage sticker
  • Location preference : Navi / Mumbai buyers get first preference
People, don't get put off thinking this only works for NAS. It's perfect as an internal storage drive (or external in a usb enclosure). Think of it as a much better and more reliable WD green.

Only interested buyers need respond, rest and trolls please PM ;-)

* Detailed reason for sale. Interested buyers also read. For some more technical info see my other thread.
I bought this HDD for my dual boot pc with both Win Xp and 7. However, Windows Xp (32-bit) natively supports only up to 2TB. The drive works perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit if partitioned as GPT disk. Since I need to use an internal sata storage drive which will also work natively in Xp, I will be getting the same drive(s) in 2TB. Drive runs cool and is fast enough.
Note: This drive works with Xp if connected via a USB to Sata adaptor. The usb-sata chip translates the platter geometry to work seamlessly with any OS. I have tried it plugged into a Seagate backup plus base-dock, and it will also work inside USB enclosures like the WD My Book. But please check online if it will work in the specific enclosure you have in mind. I will not be responsible if it doesn't. Will also work in a NAS box as it's designed to :-/

Please note the benchmarks are taken on my aging Athlon 64 x2 4800+ system with 2GB Ram running on a M2a-vm hdmi mobo. Also the storage subsystem on my mobo is Sata 3Gb/s, while the drive is natively 6Gb/s, so expect better results on a newer system.

Pics:

incover.jpg
IMG_20140224_191305.jpg
front.jpg
back.jpg
top.jpg
left.jpg
bottom.jpg
right.jpg
sticker.jpg
mrplabel.jpg
warranty.JPG
invoice.jpg

Info:

info.jpg
info2.jpg
smart.jpg
health.jpg
surface.jpg

Benchmarks:

benchread.jpg
benchwrite.jpg
testread.jpg
testwrite.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome pricing, Any one interested in building a WD MY BOOK LIVE NAS with this drive, i have an surplus case+ PCB, make your own nas - follow this http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724

@Julian , i am not hijacking you thread, if you feel i am , then you can request the mods to clear it[DOUBLEPOST=1393394545][/DOUBLEPOST]"it will also work inside USB enclosures like the WD My Book" - It will NOT work with MY BOOK ESSENTIAL enclosure, i have learnt that the hard way

Last edited:
Cheers for the info, didn't know about the essential. It worked out of the box with my backup plus 2tb usb dock, so i figured it was no big deal with other cases/docks too.

Cheers for the info, didn't know about the essential. It worked out of the box with my backup plus 2tb usb dock, so i figured it was no big deal with other cases/docks too.

I have an wd my book 500 GB USB 2.0 casing . it works fine with that, and i thought why not get a USB 3.0 casing, and i went and bought one from Ebay.com and to my dismay it did not work, it seems WD MB Essential drives are encrypted to work with the PCB .

http://community.wd.com/t5/External...ial-USB-3-0/m-p/670263/highlight/false#M19990[DOUBLEPOST=1393395476][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW, if you want to build your NAS, you can buy this MB LIVE enclosure from me.[DOUBLEPOST=1393395649][/DOUBLEPOST]Wow and this drive is NASWare 2.0 much better than the earlier version. Wish i had the $ to buy :(

Does that mean hdds pulled out of an essential won't work on sata or sata hdds bought separately won't work plugged into the essential casing.

If you're addressing me and not other buyers, i've alreasy mentioned in the OP that i need to use the drive internally connected to sata. Otherwise i would have just used it with my backup plus dock.

Yes, this drive is the latest version. Also comes with the LCC issue fixed from the factory, with the idle timer set to 5 minutes instead of 8 seconds like in the earlier versions.

sata hdds bought separately won't work plugged into the essential casing[DOUBLEPOST=1393396218][/DOUBLEPOST]Wonder why you need RED drives for Int storage unless you are running an XP based NAS, better get wd black or enterprise drives

There's tons of people who buy external drives because they're cheaper and pull out the hdd and use it internally. Guess WD doesn't want those people selling/reusing the empty casing.

No, I have an ssd or two for boot/programs. This drive is just for internal storage, red specifically because it's more reliable, has a higher MTBF and warranty. Nothing to do with NAS. Don't need the performance of black or the higher reliability of enterprise drives since i already have redundancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will also work inside USB enclosures like the WD My Book" - It will NOT work with MY BOOK ESSENTIAL enclosure, i have learnt that the hard way

i guess that is because of hardware data encryption in essential's casing.you can use any internal drive with it but the data already present on it will be unreadable and you will have to reformat it in the case.
same holds true vice versa ie if you take the HDD out of casing and put it in SATA port directly then data wont be readable.but you can use drive after format.

it worked in your my book casing because that should be a WD elements casing (or old essentials casing).they dont have encryption.

Last edited:
That kinda sucks, because if the casing ever fails for any reason, you won't be able to recover your data even if you pull the hdd and connect it elsewhere. Dunno what use the encryption is anyway. If someone steals your drive, they would steal it WITH the casing right?

Back