4k TV buying advice please

Grim

Disciple
1. Budget.= around 60000-75000k

2. Viewing distance.=8 - 10 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.= HD DTH and PS4 console might get blu-ray player in future

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV= LCD or LED

5. Preference for brands.=SAMSUNG, LG or SONY

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?= NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.=have windows diagonally opposite to tv stand, can be taken cared with curtains

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. = 4k

9. Usage: To play games, watch movies via Netflix, prime & USB and occasionally DTH

10. TV Size: 55 inch

Also, check if the TV has all the apps you need or else get a Fire Stick 4k.
TV purchase is minimum 10 -15 years.

Apps availability & OS compatibility is like for 3. Assuming. And then it isn't so smart any more. The problem is better screens only come with this 'smart' label.

From what i've seen the biggest reason to get a 4k tv is to play games if the console is powerful enough for that.

i would suggest saving further more and get an Oled, i made a switch from normal led to OLED and the difference is huge, C8 is selling these days within 1.4L

TV purchase is minimum 10 -15 years.

Apps availability & OS compatibility is like for 3. Assuming. And then it isn't so smart any more. The problem is better screens only come with this 'smart' label.

From what i've seen the biggest reason to get a 4k tv is to play games if the console is powerful enough for that.
I'm the guy for this.
i would suggest saving further more and get an Oled, i made a switch from normal led to OLED and the difference is huge, C8 is selling these days within 1.4L
I thinking of considering this!!
I might have to double my budget here entirely and please help me to understand which would be better choice here?
Sony:
Samsung:
LG:

can you post review of your oled tv. that would be great.

I have a LG C8 OLED 55 inches. Got it last Diwali from Reliance Digital, billed for 1.3lacs, and got 23k cashback (Bajaj Finserve (11.3K)+ Mobikwik (10k)+ Citibank CC (2k)). 1 year full warranty 1 year panel warranty.

Things to remember:

- Blacks are insane. If you watch the TV at night with all lights switched off, you won't know if the TV is on or off during black scenes. It's a treat to watch and it will spoil all other displays for you.
- HDR Brightness tops at about 900, whereas Samsung QLED can go up to 1500. But due to OLED's infinite contrast ratio, the difference is not so apparent. Also, personal opinion, but I found QLED colors to be unnatural and artificial.
- True 10 bit HDR. Supports DV and DA. Do remember that there's a difference between reading HDR metadata and showing that data on screen. Supposedly many of the budget TVs (Marq, Thompson etc) can read HDR data, and thus the HDR symbol shows on the screen, but don't output the HDR or output it on 8 bit+FRC, which is quite useless for HDR. Hence if you are looking to buy a cheaper TV for HDR, don't. They can do 4K just fine though (no idea about their upscaling abilities).
- I don't watch regular DTH, so burn in is not an issue. If you check reddit etc, people have been gaming on C6 and C7 for ages, and watching good old TV, and burn ins are rare. The TV automatically moves channel logos ever so slightly (and often) that burn in should not happen. Though I think if you game on it - with the same game - and thus the same HUD - for hours every single day, you might get some burn in.
- There is a Pixel Refresher which runs every 4 cumulative hours of watching TV, and removes any burn in.
- WebOS 4 is fast. I had a 2014 LG TV before this, and the speed gain is impressive. Most of the usual India specific streaming apps like Hotstar, Eros, Zee5 etc are available. The remote has dedicated buttons for Netflix and Prime Video, which makes switching to them seamless. App loads after cold start are about 5-7 seconds, post that not even a second. UI scrolling etc is almost 2-3 times faster than Fire Stick (non 4k version).
- Nice sturdy remote. Great handfeel. Easy to use.
- Extended warranties are INSANELY priced. If purchased within 1 month of purchase of TV, the 2 year extra warranty is about 65k (!!). Post that, same warranty is 98k (!!!!!!).
- Do check rtings.com for detailed review.

Let me know if you have questions regarding this TV.

Edit: The best way to demo these TVs is with great 4k HDR content. I would recommend getting these off Youtube (there is awesome 8k HDR content) or rips of blurays you already own :kissing:. In my experience, nothing beats Infinity War or Pacific Rim 4k HDR. They are reference material. Simply stunning.

Last edited:
Cool review. :pompus:

So, have you faced any burn-in until now? with this Tv
Did you buy the extended warranty?
Does Wall mount come within the package or needs to be purchased separately?

Nope. No burn in. I game on it via Switch, and primary use is for streaming (NF, HS, Prime etc.) or watching movies/TV shows via HDD. Plays x265 with ease.

Didn't get the extended warranty. Panel is covered for 2 years, and the cost of the warranty is almost the cost of a new TV, So..... :/

Wall mount is bought by the LG guys who come for installation. It's free. So far have used 3 LG TVs, and even for smaller TVs (less than 32 inches), they give free mount and free installation. Not to mention the installation guys are VERY PROFESSIONAL. Balancing etc done just right. They even cleaned up after the job.

Edit: OLEDs have higher power requirements than typical LEDs. C8, from what's out there, uses about 200 W. We have a 800 VA inverter, and it cannot run the TV at all. TV just shuts off the moment electricity goes.

Last edited:
Edit: OLEDs have higher power requirements than typical LEDs. C8, from what's out there, uses about 200 W. We have a 800 VA inverter, and it cannot run the TV at all. TV just shuts off the moment electricity goes.
I suggest putting basic ups for panel protection. so that it can be shut down normally.
thanks for additional inputs.
do post some pics.

about pics

anything that shows the display quality.

ups

I would recommend APC.
I am using my previous APC ups for panasonic led tv. serves purpose of no black out and gives protection from voltage drops and all.

Last edited:
its working with my setup on panasonic tv and sony home theater.
previously at time of power failure despite having ups mode on inverter,tv would shutdown with bang. now with apc ups supplying to tv ,it no longer does that.

After this, i visited Big Bazaar and More just to have a check LG C8 cost they were coating 1.49L + around 10K for extended 2 year warranty, still got to check with Reliance and Croma.
Also Samsung Q6F was on display and it was looking good actually and Samsung Q7F will cost 1.4L and Samsung gives 10 years warranty over burn in didnt check further.
Is QLED any good?

Back