5 day visit to Kashmir.. Need good hotel and guide

Planning to visit Kashmir in October 1st Week. (Srinagar,Sonmarg,Gulmarg,Pahalgam) for 6 Days-5 Nights,

Is there anybody with previous experience of Kashmir Visit .. Any contact no. of House Boat owner in Srinagar(Dal Lake or Nageen Lake) who can arrange whole trip .??

Kindly help..

1. Dont stay in houseboat more than a day. Its kinda boring and there are some cons of staying in houseboat like no connectivity with main city, unhygenic conditions etc.

2. There are plenty of hotels beside dal lake and they are good for acommodation.

3. Take a postpaid sim. There is no prepaid network.

4. City tour of srinagar is crap as there are mostly gardens. Look to spend more time in gulmarg and pahalgam though i didnt visit sonamarg so cant say abt it.

I disagree with you. Gardens are the best you will find in India. When i visited there 3 years ago,it was awesome. The View from the Shankaracharya temple is awesome. You see the entire valley.
Again,there are some shikara`s which are famous and thus would suggest you to do some homework before going. In case you feel the need to call them,do so please.
Postpaid Sim is a must. Srinagar is beautiful and so are Sonmarg,Gulmarg and other places. Its valleys and Hills are beautiful and this is coming from a guy who is from a hilly state [H.P].

I disagree with you. Gardens are the best you will find in India. When i visited there 3 years ago,it was awesome. The View from the Shankaracharya temple is awesome. You see the entire valley.
Again,there are some shikara`s which are famous and thus would suggest you to do some homework before going. In case you feel the need to call them,do so please.
Postpaid Sim is a must. Srinagar is beautiful and so are Sonmarg,Gulmarg and other places. Its valleys and Hills are beautiful and this is coming from a guy who is from a hilly state [H.P].

Garden love is subjective IMO.

Gentlemen,
below is my planning for Kashmir Visit.(October 1st Week)
Would like you to go through the itenary and inform about the package content and amount.

1. Day One: Arrival at Udhampur Station @(around 8 am).Your designated car to take us from Udhampur to Srinagar (Houseboat).
Houseboat Stay and Local sight seeing.

Places to visit: 1. Hazratbal Mosque,Jama Masjid and Pathar Masjid
2. Shankarcharya Temple
3. Mughal Gardens (Shalimar,Nishat and Chasm-e-Shahi)
4. Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden(If open..)
5. Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Botanical Garden
6. Naseem Bagh
7. Nilagrad River
8. Dachigram National Park
9. Sinthan Top
10. Parimahal
11.Lakes( Dal/Nageen/Nuler/Manasbal)-- Shikara travel

If sight visit of all places is not possible(which seems so) on 1st day, the remaining sites to be visited on 4th Day.

2. Day Two: Visit to Sonmarg :

Places to visit: 1. Zojila Pass
2. Thajiwas Glacier
3. Baltal Valley
4. Gangabal and Nandakol Lake

Return to Srinagar.

3. Day Three: Visit to Gulmarg

Places to Visit : 1. Gulmarg Gondola : (Phase I and Phase II)
and any other place nearby worth visiting.

Return to Srinagar.

4. Day Four: Srinagar Sight Seeing: Shikara Ride and whatever places which will be missing from Day 1(One) visit.
Visit to nearby Market also.

Stay in Srinagar

5. Day Five: Visit to Pahalgam:

Places to Visit: 1. Betaab Valley
2. Aru Valley
3. Shesnag Lake
4. Chand Wari
5. River Lidder

Over night stay at Pahalgam

6. Day Six: Local sight seeing at Pahalgam/River Lidder side.

Check out from Hotel and travel in your arranged car to Udhampur staion to board Uttar Sampark Kranti Train (@ 19:00 Hrs approx)

Guys .. What will be the approx .. charge for this itenary. for 7 Adults and 1 child(2Years)...Innova car preffered.

Its too much. Lot of travelling involved but i wish you bon voyage. Even if you spend lavishly , it will all be done under 1 lakh.

One point, please note. Whatever taxi/cab you take from Srinagar to Pahalgam/Sonamarg/Gulmarg will leave you at taxi stand in these places. You have to hire local taxi to roam around in these places . E.g. you go to Gulmarg, you will take taxi from Srinagar to Gulmarg, which will charge anywhere between 2000-2500. Once you reach Gulmarg, you need to hire new Gulmarg local taxi/or horse to see places around (which will again charge around 2000-2500).

Don't stay in houseboat more than a day, its boring as not connected to city.

There is lot of bargaining at these places. I visited last month only.

Dude..Your day one itinerary is fully loaded, i doubt if you could cover all of them without having to rush from one place to other...

from my experience in my vist to kashmir last sept....

Travel:

1.Travelling to srinangar from jammu or somewhere else (to and Fro) by air is much better than by road.( if you could book early By air ) you will reach srinagar in like 1 hour by air while the road NH1 will take you around 7-8 hours depending on the traffic and road blockages. Heavy trucks, narrow road with shepherds blocking traffic is very frequent. the road is very treacherous. the innova would be a cheaper option. compare flight rates with taxi rates. the approx innova would cost you around 6k - 7k.

2. Hire taxis with reference , there are a lot of references on the tripadvisor forum, save these numbers as they might come in handy. also when i booked taxis with these references. There are taxi stands around dal lake and srinagar, even though the prices are fixed, i found them a little expensive. i got much better deals with those references on trip advisor.

3.as rightly said by @ peppes3484 ...when visiting a certain place like gulmarg or sonamarg. once the taxi reaches the spot. you have to take a different taxi/ pony rides to go to the main points. these taxi wallahs and pony wallahs will charge you exorbitant prices and try to justify it. they are also very aggressive, stay calm and bargain, roam around and research a bit by talking to other tourists. they will guide you well! for a trip worth 300-500 they will charge you 2000-3000-4000!

about the itinerary:

1. if you are gonna stay at a houseboat and want to vist sightseeing, i recommend at dal lake. nigeen lake is a bit isolated, there is no way you are gonna cover all the lakes/ garden + sinthan top all in 1 day. Dal lake and nageen lake are close by even all the gardens/ temples/mosque are all around dal lake, each of them at a distance of 5-10 mins. also the gardens are big enough to consume a lot of your time. In my opinion, try spending less time at the gardens/temple/mosque and more time for Shikara rides.. i found them as a much pleasurable experience. i wanted to do them more and more. while i was getting bored at gardens ;) also the taxiwallah at the end of your day tour will try to take you to a carpet factory...as i am asuming they get commisions from them. dont waste your time there unless you are interested in buying kashmiri carpets.

2. Sonamarg is very very very beautifull - especially the galcier/ the road / this will take around 5-6 hours, do not skip this at any cost, try to spend most of your time at the glacier, its heavenly .also dont miss visiting apple orchards on the way. as it is apple season in sept/oct.

3. before reaching gulmarg the taxi wallah will try to stop for you to rent clothes like jackets/snowboots at a store. avoid this unless you really feel its very cold. also the taxi wallah will park at a stand and from there you will have to goto the gondola ride. threre are pony wallahs who will persuade you to take ponies, its a 10 min walk to the gondola. skip taking ponies unless you feel that you cant walk 10 mins. Gulmarg is very beautiful and is an experience especially the second phase.

4. you can do sinthan top today if you want to..or just realax in a shikara ride.I doubt if the tulip garden will be open in oct.

5&6. Pahalgam is very very beautiful...staying here for 2 days is justified. escpecially aru valley. you will find a proper hotel at the topwith tablesand chairs in the lawn, have kahwa here. its simply heaven. lidder is located right in between pahalgam. you will need heavy woollens here. coz even in sept the temp reached -5 at night. Try to get a hotel near the main market.

Final Notes: Kashmir is a very touristy place, most of the households here depend on tourists hence. Bargain hard, dont give in too fast. Also avoid argument with taxi or ponywallahs, they are very aggressive if complain or crib about their services. but dont fear them..stay calm and try to get your way with them. Also hotels here are expensive, refer tripadvisor for options and bookem online if you get a very good bargain. you could save a lot of money here if you research wisely. Try to get a hotel near dal lake. there are many hotels at reasonable rates in the back lane of dal lake, just 2 mins from there. only postpaid works there.

Have a great trip!! it is sure to be one of the most memorable trips of your life. i was a little skeptical at first, but even in todays time Kashmir is truely heaven on earth.

@ hardyieks,

Thanks for the Details..
Did u visit Kashmir in Sept end. I plan to visit in 1st Week of October. What was the weather like during your visit?

The package im getting is for 46K.. for 3 three rooms , 4 Nights/5 Day stay .. 2 Night in house Boat and 2 Nights in Hotel. 46K includes .. travel from Udhampur to Srinagar and return back.. + Breakfast and Dinner + Travel to Sonmarg/Gulmarg and Pahalgam and Local sight seeing in Srinagar..

Is 46 K .. reasonable for 7Adults and 1 infant?

What are the approx cost to incur in Sonmarg/Gulmarg/Pahalgam? is it Rs 2000 for Innova( as 7 adults are there) at each place? Is there any other cost?

@terminater

Yes i visited precisely on 29th sept to 10 oct, The weather was around 25 degrees in the after noon at srinagar, but nights got colder around 10 degrees, wheres night temperatures at pahalgam were around 0 to 2 degrees.
By looking at the package it seems pretty good, but make sure you check out what hotels and houseboats you are gonna stay in, because there are cheap houseboats too with unhygienic conditions on dal lake. nageen lake is much better and has much better quality houseboats, like we had a bathtub/tv/rooftop sit out, etc. As i told you before also inquire about the hidden details like, costs of transport after reaching the destination,how good are the rooms and the hotels ? what kind of restaurants are they going to feed you in ? Also what about the car. innova costs around 2000 to 2600 depending on your bargaining skills. there are some tolls in between, which should be included in this. Gulmarg has a gondola ride, costs for this you can find it on their official website are these included ? pahalgam to jammu cab costs around 4 k to 5 k one side.

Back