Storage Solutions 500Gb with Casing ?

palito

Disciple
I need to Get a 2 * 500 Gb with Casing for my Dad,decided for a 500gb with Zippy casing :)

now confused :S which 500 gb i should go for ? Seagate Hitachi or WD ?

i want It to run Cool & quiet :eek:hyeah: Pls Indicate which ones are good :clap:

also its 7200.10 i should go for right ?

very recently i bought one WD5000AAKS 500GB sata-II to use with a vantec casing. Though the performance is good( arnd 34-35MBps in USB mode, it does get heated up a bit more than a hitachi drive which i was using with the casing abt a few months back.Its fairly quiet. At least i don't hear any kinda noise while files are being read/written to the drive.

I bought the WD drive for Rs. 5450/- abt 2 weeks back.

You should get the eSATA Vantec case, this connects to a SATA connector on the mother board and gives full SATA speeds, and you can boot an OS off the eSATA external drive and also get the HDD temp in Windows.

Blugene said:
very recently i bought one WD5000AAKS 500GB sata-II to use with a vantec casing. Though the performance is good( arnd 34-35MBps in USB mode, it does get heated up a bit more than a hitachi drive which i was using with the casing abt a few months back.Its fairly quiet. At least i don't hear any kinda noise while files are being read/written to the drive.

I bought the WD drive for Rs. 5450/- abt 2 weeks back.
thnx for the Feedback mate,so wat do u suggest ? WD or Hitachi ? Seems as though WD has a Heating problem :( from ur Post,will make the Purchase Tomo Morning So Pls Advice me :eek:hyeah:

Also its 5450 all inclusive ? or + Tax ?

Eazy said:
You should get the eSATA Vantec case, this connects to a SATA connector on the mother board and gives full SATA speeds, and you can boot an OS off the eSATA external drive and also get the HDD temp in Windows.

thats nice,wats the Pricing like ?

i can't really say if thats a heating problem. i haven't measured the temperatures though. I guess 1-2'c wud hardly make a difference. More than the heating issue, what should be a priority is heat dissipation for which u need a good casing to be able to do that and the vantec one with aluminum casing does that quite well. the casing cools down quite fast(in a few mins).

price i mentioned was with tax. the vantec casing (nexstar 3 with esata and usb support) costs arnd 2.7k.

Blugene said:
i can't really say if thats a heating problem. i haven't measured the temperatures though. I guess 1-2'c wud hardly make a difference. More than the heating issue, what should be a priority is heat dissipation for which u need a good casing to be able to do that and the vantec one with aluminum casing does that quite well. the casing cools down quite fast(in a few mins).

price i mentioned was with tax. the vantec casing (nexstar 3 with esata and usb support) costs arnd 2.7k.

thnx mate :) i guess u got a very good pricing :clap:

if someone's coming from the states ask them to get u a seagate freeagent 500gb external hdd...i got mine for 5k all inclusive..and apparently the warranty is valid in india too...or u can ask katmandude if he can help u..

a friend of mine's Freeagent went thrice for replacements, i guess that one was cursed.

either get WD MyBook 1TB or Iomega 1TB externals. Seems branded ones are much cheaper and better build, than ones with Vantec casings with 500gig drives.

i got a quote From Computer Shop,Brigade Road Bangalore:

500gb WD: 6400 + tax

Zippy Casing: 1200 + tax

i think this is on higher side :( wats the correct pricing ?

if someone's coming from the states ask them to get u a seagate freeagent 500gb external hdd...i got mine for 5k all inclusive..and apparently the warranty is valid in india too...or u can ask katmandude if he can help u..
@indrajeet1811 :

are you sure on warranty part ?!

If you are right then I can also order one in coming week

From what I kno wfor WD warrenty is strictly country specific and on warrenty check clearly says out of region ( it hapened to me:( )
IS it not the same for segate that Online warrenty check thing!

plz respond if you have any idea bout it

Thanks

palito said:
i got a quote From Computer Shop,Brigade Road Bangalore:

500gb WD: 6400 + tax
Zippy Casing: 1200 + tax

i think this is on higher side :( wats the correct pricing ?

THat seems to be on the higher side...Go to SP road and check it up...

Also Lacie seems to have a 500GB external drive for around 7.5k in India(I remember reading it up somewhere).
If the price is 7.5k you can certainly have a look.

Back