55 inch 4K OLED/QLED TV - suggestions

anish_sha

Skilled
Hi guys

Planning to get a new TV ,max 55 inch one. Heard that OLED/QLED is the best in 4K resolution. Wont be upgrading atleast for next 5 years Suggest me a good model under 1L budget. Suggest me a good brand with good after sales service among Sony/Samsung/LG/Panasonic.

AFAIK OLED is superior to QLED as QLED is just glorified LED...
OLED on the other hand has the best black levels that technology can give roight now....

Best and most economic OLED models are LG OLED55C6P and OLED55C7P....
C6P is last years model and if u are not keep on 3D get the C7P which supports dolby atmos as well as HDR for youtube.....

both the TV's are around the 1.5 lakhs range but well worth the price.....I have a c6p in hong kong and just love it....
I had upgraded from a LG 4K LED to LG 4K OLED and the difference was noticeable to my armature eyes

Hi guys

Planning to get a new TV ,max 55 inch one. Heard that OLED/QLED is the best in 4K resolution. Wont be upgrading atleast for next 5 years Suggest me a good model under 1L budget. Suggest me a good brand with good after sales service among Sony/Samsung/LG/Panasonic.

LG OLED range starts from 1.8L, there are no models under 1L.
LG 55B7 is the starting model from 2017 range.

I had upgraded from a LG 4K LED to LG 4K OLED and the difference was noticeable to my armature eyes

I second that, have both LG 43" UHD and 55 OLEB B6, the difference in PQ is night and day.

Planning to get it from Dubai, hope there will be some good offers for DSF, if the budget constrains should i opt for FULL HD OLED or 4k LED ?

B7 is significantly better than B6 due to higher brightness as the ABL doesn't cut in so soon. Also the HDR tone mapping algorithms in the newer model are better.

Finally all 7 series models have the same processing and panel quality unlike the previous gen. So whether you buy the uber expensive wallpaper tv or the basic b7, both will give the same picture quality.

good info..... the earlier generation had huge differences in the make...
for example - US C6P users did not get a firmware update for HDR-youtube whereas the top end 6 series models got the update. feels like a loss when ur new shiny TV does not do HDR for youtube and does HDR on netflix....
B7 is significantly better than B6 due to higher brightness as the ABL doesn't cut in so soon. Also the HDR tone mapping algorithms in the newer model are better.
Finally all 7 series models have the same processing and panel quality unlike the previous gen. So whether you buy the uber expensive wallpaper tv or the basic b7, both will give the same picture quality.

One major difference between B6 and B7 which is definitely a deal breaker for me is the Dolby Atmos support.
the B6 and C6 will never ever get dolby atmos support and most of the 4K movies (even ripped ones) come with Dolby Atmos.....so u are without audio in almost all ripped movies.....I faced a lot of issues initially in my C7

Another deal breaker would be the HDR support for youtube.....if u buy a HDR and not able to wwatch youtube on HDR then its a big loss as nowadays lots of videos are uploaded in 4K HDR

One major difference between B6 and B7 which is definitely a deal breaker for me is the Dolby Atmos support.
the B6 and C6 will never ever get dolby atmos support and most of the 4K movies (even ripped ones) come with Dolby Atmos.....so u are without audio in almost all ripped movies.....I faced a lot of issues initially in my C7

Actually the source blurays will most certainly have a Dolby digital+ or Dolby TrueHD track in addition to Atmos. Downloaded rips will probably not have this fallback option.

The previous gen had cheapo mediatek processors in cheaper TVs and LG's own CPU in the higher end ones. Now in the 7 series, they have the same CPU and image processor. That's a real good thing as firmware updates will flow much faster now.

Samsung is very smart at giving new names for basically the same tech. In 2009 they started the name LED tv(lcd with led backlight)which helped them hugely in sales, everyone else at that time where still calling it LCD tv but they eventually all started calling it LED tv.
They are doing the same now with name QLED, which is still a LCD, a similar quantum dot tech was used by Sony a couple of years back.

I would wait for ces 2018 which is just less then a week away to see whats in store for 2018 range.

so better go for 4k LED rather than full HD OLED right?

Between those 2 yes.

But, for your sake, do not go audition any of the 4K OLED panels. You will regret spending the money for a 4K LED with HDR10. Yes, you may still need to spend 1.5 or 2 times for a OLED. But it truly is magnificent. If you feel I am biased or anything, a. I only have a 4K LCD, the Sony X900E & b. Find one review or person that says anything negative about 4K OLED panels.

Spoilers: You may find something about burn ins. The burn in is not applicable for average TV users, the ones that watch lots of TV channels with static images are not included. There are in built measures in the LG TVs for this. Read:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability

However, If you/your family watch the same TV channel for continuous hours with little to no turn off.. Then again 4K LED is the one for you.

Last edited:
Back