OC & Modding 56k warning: Phenom 550 BE undervolting

Note: I have given HDD for RMA so please dont ask abt prime and super pi scores.

I recently purchased biostar 790GX128M. Used ubuntu live cd to surf the net. When i checked in the bios quad unlocked at stock speed the temps were at 45C idle which is way too high. Searched over the net all phenoms idle temps are much lower than mine :( . I have applied cooler master thermal paste numerous times but no avail. Later i decided to under volt and see how far it goes before system crashes to perform POST. Let the screenies talk :hap2:

Stock volt 1.35V, stock speed

DSCF5205.jpg

temps @ stock volt just 2 mins of system startup

DSCF5207.jpg

Undervolted stable post

DSCF5206.jpg

Dual core OC'ed to 3.5Ghz

DSCF5208.jpg

DSCF5210.jpg

:eek:hyeah: Quad unlocked @ stock speed.

DSCF5211.jpg

DSCF5215.jpg

Quad OC'ed 3.5 Ghz

DSCF5232.jpg

DSCF5233.jpg

Quad OC'ed 3.7

DSCF5219.jpg

DSCF5223.jpg

OC @ 3.8 Ghz . I think this will be the practical limit of this proccy

DSCF5224.jpg

DSCF5225.jpg

OC @ 3.9 (This is where i used the stock voltage 1.35V)

DSCF5226.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

OC @ 4 Ghz didnt have much courage with the stock cooler :cool2:

DSCF5228.jpg

DSCF5229.jpg

Once i get back my hard disk i need to check whether windows is booting properly without any BSOD. Till then Your comments welcome.

Mods: Can you please rename the thread as phenom II 550BE under volting.

disable Cool n Quiet and repeat all this.
Otherwise it make no sense...

and just booting the system does not approve undervolt..
you need to boot into an OS and do some stability test.
and im sure it wont boot at 3.8GHz without ~1.385V

At stock speed it will boot quiet easily at 1.185V

cpuz.jpg

This was tested for 2hours with prime95

Whats the point of trying all this just in the BIOS ? If you can boot into Windows and its stable then it makes sense.
No harm in getting hang of the chip and the board. Btw whats the droop on that board ?

Amey said:
Whats the point of trying all this just in the BIOS ? If you can boot into Windows and its stable then it makes sense.

No harm in getting hang of the chip and the board. Btw whats the droop on that board ?

the Vcore was set to 1.875 to get 1.168/1.17V in most monitoring utilities.

although amd AOD shows what is set in bios.

drops to 1.165V at load.

will test again sometime and revert back.

im not using this Vcore since windows crashes at random due to GreenPowerUtility from biostar.. it switches phases as per requirement... and uses 0.85V for lowest multiplier (as compared to 0.96V of default CnQ voltage)

This continues to happen till 1.225Vcore bios.

strangely this happens only while idling :p

currently running the chip at 1.265Vcore since i see no temperature difference and system is responding a lot better than how it does with those low voltages.

if not booting into windows, u can surelly do insane clocks.

signs of unstability starts when loading OS or logging on , or starting to bench.

booting into bios with any clocks cant be called as an OC.

Point noted.. But my worries are idle temps @45C :( So did some undervolting. Many people raised the volt to 1.34V to recognize the remaining cores but this chip can do post with all cores unlocked at 1.024V . Anyway I am restless cant wait for a week for my HDD so I am installing Xp on my USB HDD.

which batch do u posses??

anyways do not attempt to go beyong 3.6GHz with stock cooler. and stay below 1.385V with the same cooler.

temps are fine.

if you are using modded bios then do not trust the temp sensor reading.. mine cant read temps for individual cores after unlock.... all read 0 c :p

enable GreenPowerUtility from bios if your board supports it.

Back