Graphic Cards 5850 or second 4870, what say ?

Aphro_EVO

Disciple
I have 4870 1GB OC, currently I game @1050p. Planning to upgrade to 1080p very soon. What do you guys suggest, keep current 4870 and get another one for CF or sell it off and get 5850 ?

Jaldi batao. :hap5:

@OP:

It depends how the ratios work out.

1. You sell the 4870 and add money and get the 5850

2. You buy another 4870.

Now which ever is cheaper I would suggest go for that. 2x4870 scales pretty well. Specially on 1920 x 1080 (which you plan). I get a performance jump of approximate 20FPS on Warhead. Need I say more. 4870 Crossfire will rip.

Economically speaking, buying another 4870 or selling mine and getting 5850, it would cost me exactly the same. Am I correct, if not I will definitely go for the cheaper option ?

@abby - am not at all concerned about power consumption idle/load, or noise levels etc, only thing I want is raw frames per second.

Already have a Corsair Tx850, Asus CF mobo, personally I was leaning towards CF. But if dx11 matters, and CF can give me problems, then I'll go for 5850.

^^

Then go for the HD5850. Straight from the horses mouth....!

Though Xfire has no issues. Just that getting a HD5850 will:

1. Same money spend -- for you.

2. Newer tech.

3. Slightly better performance than 2 x HD4870.

4. Dx11 support.

5. Less cable clutter.

6. Less heat.

i think ur 4870 can easily hold together till may/june.

Expect good price drop for ATI if nvidia comes out to be beast. Get either of those, whichever has vfm. Now HD 5xxx are insanely priced.

I too have 4870, and it easily pulls through 1080p on most games @ high settings. 5850 price shall fall by bout 4~5k by then. You can even get the 5870 if you hold the purchase now.

I would suggest you not to spend on any card as of now like already suggested by dominator. Let nvidia comes out with new technology and you will see price reductions at ATI part. Nevertheless 4870 is capable to run current games at medium setting for the resolutions you mentioned.

Just my 2 cents.

He can have double eye candy for same budget, if he waits for 3~4 months max.

5850 and 5870 are insanely priced, as nvidia hasnt come up a competition.

Yes true..but..

...we have been waiting for the nVidia cards to come since October 2009. High time we had a GPU refresh from the green channel.

I have 4870 and there is no game that I cant play with the highest settings possible @1920x1080 with 2x AA and sometimes even 4x. The obvious exceptions are Crysis (high-very high combo at 1080p with no AA), NFS shift, and maybe a couple more. I havent ever played WOW or MMORPGs, so I cant comment on em. Is there any specific game you want to play at settings you cant reach with this card?
I am not against upgrading, but this is not the right time dude. Wait for the price drops IMO.

I am avidly looking forward to Bioshock 2 and Battlefield BC2, & am yet to finish RE5 and Batman Arkham which I have on PC. After reading your views it does seem a better idea to wait for Nvidia's take on dx11. I would like to spend on a GPU which wil give me max returns for money spent.

Now when will Nv come out with their offerings ?

If you are playing RE5 and Batman AA, then you probably know what I am talkin about. I bet they both are at their highest settings with 60FPS+. This is the situation with almost every game released today. Coz 90% of the games are developed on UE3 which is aging IMO and is very easy on the systems. The other reason would be consoles esp. uncle Bill ka xbox 360.... The developers develop games for it first and then simply port it to PC with an option of playing it at a higher resolution.

Even I am waiting to upgrade my system, but I cant find a reason to. Hell, I havent even found a reason to overclock my processor. And to be frank I am kinda dissapointed with the way, PC gaming is turning out these days.

If I were you I would just add another 4870 (or buy a 5850) for crysis' sake and thats it. The other games out there either dont have the muscle to gimme reason to upgrade and even if some of the others do, I dont care about em(NFS Shift for ex.). What I would suggest is wait for the games to release and then make your decision. What if you upgrade and when Bioshock 2 is released (or any other game), you find out that the game would have run just fine on a single 4870??

Back