Graphic Cards 5870 not working as expected

I got my MSI 5870 card yesterday and it is not working as expcected. It is performing even worse than my older 4870 512mb.

Use to get 55 fps in 1280x1024 no xaa high setting with 4870, now getting 52 fps with 5870.

I have reinstalled the OS , latest driver every thing. Both on XP and Windows 7 64bit. But still not getting the result what could be the bottle neck. Rig details in signature.

low_bass_makker said:
I got my MSI 5870 card yesterday and it is not working as expcected. It is performing even worse than my older 4870 512mb.

Use to get 55 fps in 1280x1024 no xaa high setting with 4870, now getting 52 fps with 5870.

I have reinstalled the OS , latest driver every thing. Both on XP and Windows 7 64bit. But still not getting the result what could be the bottle neck. Rig details in signature.

On which game or benchmark???
May be driver issue, with new revised driver the problem might go away...

1. try a diff (read newer) driver if available.

2. what is the resolution you are gaming at, your desktop could be 1920 X 1080 but u might have to change in game settings.

3.Try a different game and compare it with the benchmarks available online

4. PSU

naive_harry said:
On which game or benchmark???
May be driver issue, with new revised driver the problem might go away...

Crysis. Like I mentioned above I am using latest drivers from the site.

|Anish| said:
Run vantage and check if its really the card.

It is really a 5870 no doubt in that. Tested on another setup works fine.

abbY said:
1. try a diff (read newer) driver if available.
2. what is the resolution you are gaming at, your desktop could be 1920 X 1080 but u might have to change in game settings.
3.Try a different game and compare it with the benchmarks available online
4. PSU

1. done
2. 1280x1024 as a standard as I was keeping the same earlier in the benches
3. Same condition.
4. CM 700 watts Real power

Udit said:
cpu bottleneck as 5870 is giving 2x 4870 performance on my pc
try at 4GHz
also try Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Getting better result on Phenom 955 with ddr3 ram setup with stock everything. The 940 runs at 3.0 ghz and 955 runs at 3.2 I think there should be a big difference. But there is a very large gap. Like I mentioned earlier the card is running slower than my older 4870.

Your RIG seems to be your bottleneck. OCing the CPU may not be the only thing, you might need to get a better subsystem.

I don't think it's much of a bottleneck ...Must be something to do with the driver. Did you download from MSI or AMD site?

Happens only in Crysis or in every game you play?

hash said:
I don't think it's much of a bottleneck ...Must be something to do with the driver. Did you download from MSI or AMD site?

Happens only in Crysis or in every game you play?

from AMD site..and both MSI nearly same results...

Trying Farcry will update the results..

the 52/55 FPS is probably max FPS. Check if you gameplay is better. OC your processor and see...looks like a heavy CPU bottleneck (bcos its at low res)

first things first.

Vantage might not be best thing to judge the card performance, but it helps in troubleshooting. Run it and post the screenshot or orb link of your score. The gfx and CPU scores will give an idea where your problem lies.

Also make sure you are not running higher PCI express frequency in bios. Keep it at 100.

And if you are using HardwareOC benchmark tool for crysis, it does give weird results sometimes.

Try some other games. Under no condition the 5870 should perform worse than 48xx. Even if your CPU is bottleneck, it shouldnt do this.

Also on other system did you use same PSU?

i'm getting 30fps plus at 1920x1080 maxxed out 4xAA without a single lag on HD5850....there's something wrong.

i think its a massive cpu bottleneck because of the low resolution... why dont compare the 4870-5870 performance at a higher resolution with max settings and AA/AF...

as many others have already stated, at such low resolutions the graphics card does not operate at it's full capacity.

The fps difference between the 4870 and 5870 will be more visible as you increase resolution.

There are a lot of reviews of 5870 and in many games the fps is the same for 1280x1024, 1600x1050 and other low resolutions, suggesting a CPU/system bottleneck.

comp@ddict said:
Run at FULL HD as said, 2-3 fps is within margin of error i guess, ur CPU is holding u back at that resolution....

Bang on thats what I thought, 2-3 FPS is the margin of error, and no way should you be checking the FPS at that resolution, my bet is you will get similar FPS even at Full HD :)

Its the CPU bottleneck, but I wouldnt bother much as the GPU will scale with resolution. Ofcourse you wont be able to flaunt your "synthetic scores":p There are times when I feel that when investing for a gaming rig, buying an expensive proccy is simply a waste of money :) the playable requirements for the game have stabilized a lot say compared to the late 1990's or early 2000. I have a fairly old tech (athlon X2 4000) coupled with a fairly old GPU (9600GT) and I am really surprised that it can handle almost all games at medium-high at full HD!!

Although some recent games like Dragon age origins runs slow at all high (but very much playable with settings down 1 notch), just shows the console effect, never dreamed in 2000 even a mid-high end rig will be able to play games comfortably 4 year down the line!!

Back