Car & Bike 60km daily travelling, bike or car??

Ankur.J

Game Guy
Disciple
Ok from April I will need to travel 60 km daily. In which 40km is highway and 20km is medium-heavy traffic. So I am confused whether a bike will be best or car will be better for it??
I mean I just have a budget of 3-4lakh if car is suggested and 1-1.2lakh for a bike. I can get either a car or a bike.
So what u guys think? a bike would be better or car??
I am 6.1 feet and 60Kg guy. Also I only drive cars, if it is a bike then it will be my first ever bike.
I mean if it is a car I am thinking about EON and if a bike then ZMR or FZ or 180 or something??? :)

Hadapsar to Hinjewadi? Regardless, in Pune's traffic, if you are good, you can zip through the traffic on a bike. If you are not of a sturdy build, go for a car. You can be on your way to breaking your arms and back riding a bike.

I curse the car drivers daily in Hinjewadi. :p
You do not want to get your car in Hinjewadi, especially after the wakad bridge, unless you reach here at like 8 AM. It is total chaos and mayhem and evenings are even worse.
Bike will help you navigate faster but you need to be very careful on the highway. People drive like it is F1 track. Also if you are in rush hour, bikes too won't help as there are like so many bikes in Hinjewadi area.
If you do get a bike, i request you do not drive on opposite side of the road like many bikers do here. I always feel angry over them and wish they would just collide with a truck. I know what i am saying is gonna raise eyebrows but these people who follow all sorts of rules within Office campus become total maniacs outside. And yes please wear helmet always as i see dedh shane log keeping helmet on the bike's handle and brains on their knees when riding bikes.

Car.spare your body from stress of riding bike.It might look better option at first but my uncle got severe back pain and neck pain coz of helmet and riding bike in wrong posture.with car you will be in better posture and will be fresh for work.same thing when you are coming back from work to home. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I curse the car drivers daily in Hinjewadi. :p
You do not want to get your car in Hinjewadi, especially after the wakad bridge, unless you reach here at like 8 AM. It is total chaos and mayhem and evenings are even worse.
Bike will help you navigate faster but you need to be very careful on the highway. People drive like it is F1 track. Also if you are in rush hour, bikes too won't help as there are like so many bikes in Hinjewadi area.
If you do get a bike, i request you do not drive on opposite side of the road like many bikers do here. I always feel angry over them and wish they would just collide with a truck. I know what i am saying is gonna raise eyebrows but these people who follow all sorts of rules within Office campus become total maniacs outside. And yes please wear helmet always as i see dedh shane log keeping helmet on the bike's handle and brains on their knees when riding bikes.

umm..riding on wrong side is risky itself with or without helmet :/

@Ankur.J what will be your daily commute plan? From where to where?
What do you expect your usual traveling times? (General shift or some off shift)
Also if you are staying on rent you might rather want to consider relocating to some area near your office.
There is also one more option if you office times are fixed. Wings radio cabs had started bus shuttle services which you can opt for. They pick and drop you to and fro to your office everyday at fixed timings.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can afford a car then +1 to car.

Save the future you from back and especially neck pain.

This my personal experience ,I'm not implementing you will feel the same.

I'm 6.1" driving P150 ,riding bike in city for 4 years , developed severe neck spasm which triggers one side migrane and eye pain.
the side effect is I'm getting the neck spam and headches even when I dont ride the bike. sometime i have pain when I wake up / taking my camera / lifting some back bags.
Consulted physiotherapist - doing some neck excerise and I carry moov Rapid releif spary where ever i go.

The route is from kondhwa to hinjewadi, the timing is not fixed, but my wild guess is 10am to 7-8pm
the kondhwa to hinjewadi area is known, don't know much about the hinjewadi traffic.
I considered staying at hinjewadi, but that will not come soon, probably after 1 year. So I have to go there by my own or cab/bus, but I am not sure whether it is available at my company or public.

car cool if possible, consider CNG or diesel car, you would be doing about 1500 km a month

For the various reasons stated by others, especially back probs in the long run, forget the bike

Dont get a car. You are talking about a route that is heavily packed almost all the time. Get a bike, it will be far more faster than going by car. Plus gives better economy as well.

I travel to Hinjewadi daily and used to commute on bike but that was like 4 years back when the situation was far better. Now I have started to commute in office bus only. I am frankly scared because of the rash and unpredictable driving of others.
Couple of my friends suggest that I should get a car but traffic and moreover the economics say otherwise.

Disel car FTW for your purpose.
If you want to burn more money, then petrol car.
Choice? Totally depepnds on your budget, read condition, and your other uses.

I am scared to drive a car in Pune. There are no traffic rules and people have zero common sense. I feel I will lose patience and run over few idiots in first half hour :D If I have to describe Pune's traffic in one word, it will be - chaos.
But on the other hand, commuting on bike may cause back and neck pain in the long term due to pathetic road conditions. Tough choice!

60Kms is too much of headache, consider shifting to a place near your office instead.

btw, I am born and brought up in Pune. And I hate Pune's traffic with passion :p

Buy ZMR, its one of the best tourer available in that range :).

I own a 2007 Kzma R, and damm it rides like butter. Generally i do 90-90km up-down from my college without any hassle :D. No matter its 48C in summer, heavy rain in monsoon or 10C in winter, it gives you smiles all the way

Never had accident till date, just had one case of ghost or something like that which made me fall from bike @ 80 km/hr, and yeah i came riding bike again with just few bruises :D

If you work on your posture and get a bike which don't have much aggressive riding position, you could avoid back problems. ZMR / P220 / CBR250 are great tourers and would not cause any issue. I have been commuting average 45kms daily on my P220 since 4 years, sometimes more than that. Bike will save you 1-2 hours depending upon traffic conditions. Sure car is more comfortable and it'll help in rainy season but you'll be struck in traffic way longer.

Company bus or car pool. Only these 2 options are viable from my POV. Trust me you do not want to ride a bike that faar for that much time. It will eventually affect you, no matter how prepared or scientific you get about it.
60kms is not a distance I would like to ride everyday to and fro with Hinjewadi being known for the worst traffic jams in Pune. While ur in the bus / car u can listen to music / watch TV Shows as @raksrules does :bleh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Company bus or car pool. Only these 2 options are viable from my POV. Trust me you do not want to ride a bike that faar for that much time. It will eventually affect you, no matter how prepared or scientific you get about it.
60kms is not a distance I would like to ride everyday to and fro with Hinjewadi being known for the worst traffic jams in Pune. While ur in the bus / car u can listen to music / watch TV Shows as raksrules does :bleh:

+1000000 to this. Each and everyday i look forward to my company bus journey both ways because that is the only time i get in entire day to watch my TV shows. Traffic and all does not affect me and i have peace of mind that i don't have to be actively part of traffic (as in driving car or bike myself). And yes as suggested, Hinjewadi is the worst traffic area anytime in the day and people have absolutely no sense of driving and worst part are the tumtum who are always overloaded and drive on wrong side always and the indica cab drivers who think they are always competing in terms of speed and maneuvering with someone.

Hinjewadi is the worst traffic area anytime in the day and people have absolutely no sense of driving and worst part are the tumtum who are always overloaded and drive on wrong side always and the indica cab drivers who think they are always competing in terms of speed and maneuvering with someone.

Just to add to this (without the intention of scaring you) Hinjewadi is a village kinda area. So kids and youngsters without any kind of traffic sense come onto the road as if they are wandering in a garden. And then come the landlords, who think the whole place belongs to them.. well with all of this you are better off in a company bus.

Just to add to this (without the intention of scaring you) Hinjewadi is a village kinda area. So kids and youngsters without any kind of traffic sense come onto the road as if they are wandering in a garden. And then come the landlords, who think the whole place belongs to them.. well with all of this you are better off in a company bus.

I even know of cases where these people let the children wander and god forbid they are even touched by a private vehicle (car or bike), the people there would hold you at ransom and extort cash from you for "treatment" and "settlement".
On top of that, all the petrol pumps in Hinjewadi especially HP ones (there are 3 of them) are biggest thieves and everyone even knows their modus oprandi of cheating you. Probably the only honest petrol pump is a sole Shell one.

I can`t multi-quote all, but totally agree with most and suggest to "relocating" option first before deciding which vehicle to buy... I have friends who have shifted to company nearby area even they have their own flats and the distance of travel is of say 20 Kms. In your case 60 Km is way too much...
You can consider areas like wakad, pimple saudagar. from there almost all companies have car/bus services...

Back