Budget 71-90K 6700k setup vs 5820k

jammy420

Adept
I am finalizing my rig. More inclined towards 6700k. For my usage after effects, premiere pro, cinema 4d, 6700k looks better than 5820k. ideally I want to hook up 1 SSD 1 GC now and add 1 more SSD and 1 more GC later on. So I want my setup ready for that.

However, I have some doubts. Do the number of SSDs, graphics card that can be attached to the PC depends on only motherboard or processor also ? So far I was thinking , it is dependent on Mobo. However want to clarify.!!

If it is processor dependent, how many ssds, gcs I can attach to 6700k vs 5820k?

And can someone decode SLI terminology. Nvidia SLI is different from 2 way SLI? Quad SLI different from 4 way sli? I want to have a simple understanding of SLI terms.even some links will do.

Will over clocking void warranty of K processors too ?

Last edited:
Considering all your plans, I will tell you a simple solution.

Buy the 6700K and if you plan on using Nvidia card, buy a SLI motherboard. These things are only dependent on the motherboard in your case. But if you go really deep, server level stuff, then it depends on the processor as well, but that is not applicable in your case.

Yeah, I am buying SLI motherboard... In that I should check for two PCI Express * 16 slots. right? anything else to be taken care?

I am finalizing my rig. More inclined towards 6700k. For my usage after effects, premiere pro, cinema 4d, 6700k looks better than 5820k. ideally I want to hook up 1 SSD 1 GC now and add 1 more SSD and 1 more GC later on. So I want my setup ready for that.

However, I have some doubts. Do the number of SSDs, graphics card that can be attached to the PC depends on only motherboard or processor also ? So far I was thinking , it is dependent on Mobo. However want to clarify.!!

If it is processor dependent, how many ssds, gcs I can attach to 6700k vs 5820k?

And can someone decode SLI terminology. Nvidia SLI is different from 2 way SLI? Quad SLI different from 4 way sli? I want to have a simple understanding of SLI terms.even some links will do.

Will over clocking void warranty of K processors too ?

Hmmmm yours is a very common occurring dilemma my friend if you're saying that you need to use after effects, premiere pro, cinema 4d, and other multimedia suites then this takes us into rendering territory which funny you should ask i may know a thing or two cause i run a small rendering business of sorts.

okay coming back to topic at hand basically you need more cores for your kind of encoding or editing works more cores = task being finished quickly so 6700k is a quad core chip with 4 physical cores whereas 5820k or 6800k is a hexa core chip with 6 physical core 15mb cache and with hyper threading which means it has 12 cores in total so for your job this is a more suitable chip 6700k or 6600k are all chips suited for gaming where the speed of core ie frequency counts more than the actual number of cores you could go into XEON territory if youre use is heavy for now im not touching on that part.

and yes number of graphics cards you can connect to your PC depends on PCIE LANES these are the buses which carry information to CPU thus making computing possible think of them as straws or streams carrying data now SATA devices and other peripherals depend on motherboard technically but the SATA buses which has SATA ports where you connect your SSD or HDD also depend on PCIE lanes too so technically they are also CPU dependent though most modern motherboard come with 6-8 ports thats why we don't run into trouble with them as in if we need more SATA ports we will use up more PCIE lanes now coming back to this 6700k or 6600k or any i3,i5,i7 of 1151 or 1150 socket has only 16 pcie lanes only the socket 2011v3 ie chipset X99 proccy like 5820k 5930k and the 10 core behemoth 5960x have 40 pcie lanes and of course all xeons current or previous have 40 PCIe lanes this is what makes xeons more expensive and also more cores .
side note we are technologically limited to 40 PCIe lanes per processor as of now.

now to connect GPU and to extract your maximum potential you need more PCIe lanes the fastest a GPU can run is 16X that means occupying 16 pcie lanes then there is 8x mode and 4x so 8x uses 8 pcie lanes 4x uses 4 (4x is not advised for modern GPU as this is not enough to extract even half of GPUs potential and bottlenecks the GPU heavily unless youre using a very basic GPU)

so now if youre doing some math you can calculate if im using a 6700k and a single GPU all my PCIE lanes will be occupied by the GPU which is okay in a single GPU setup but not in 2 GPU setup which we call SLI in nvidia and crossfire in AMD so if you decide to use the 6700k with a single GPU in 16x mode you cant connect any other device using a PCIE lane like a wifi card sound card or a PCIE SSD like samsung 950 which is a very good and fast SSD you can then change it to 8x but then you will be sacrificing performance of your GPU.

now there is no such thing as a SLI motherboard the proper term is PCIE slots those long horizontal slots on board if you put 2 nvidia cards its called SLI and if you put 2 AMD cards its called crossfire if you put 3 nvidia card its called 3 way sli and with 3 smd cards its called 3 way crossfire so on and so forth for 4 th card and quad sli is basically other name for 4 way SLI and also remember sli is a strictly NVIDIA thing in AMD its called crossfire though they are basically same thing as in using 2 or more GPUS together you do need different bridges for NVIDIA and AMD cards though.

and last thing no you dont lose warranty for overclocking k chips in fact they are so frigging expensive for that reason alone however if you over clock it like crazy with no proper cooling or by some mishap you really blow the chip like it gets burnt black or deformed or cracked due to overheat in that case intel does deny warranty you can get it RMA'd if you have some source though.

hope that helps PM me for info or need help in sourcing components. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Skynet, for taking out time and giving a elaborate explanation.

simplifying my question, I wont use PCIE SSD. I will connect 2 SSDs to SATA III ports. and 2 graphics cards at 8x mode. possible?

6700k supports hyper threading though. and as I have read, Quad SLI refers to 2 Graphic cards(with dual GPU per card= 4 GPUs) connected in SLI, whereas 4 - way SLI is 4 graphic cards connected in SLI. not sure though.

Yeah, I am buying SLI motherboard... In that I should check for two PCI Express * 16 slots. right? anything else to be taken care?

Absolutely Not,the mobo must have SLI printed on it/should be sli certified.

Even if a board has x16 slots that doesn't mean sli will work.it will only work on sli certified board

simplifying my question, I wont use PCIE SSD. I will connect 2 SSDs to SATA III ports. and 2 graphics cards at 8x mode. possible?

6700k supports hyper threading though. and as I have read, Quad SLI refers to 2 Graphic cards(with dual GPU per card= 4 GPUs) connected in SLI, whereas 4 - way SLI is 4 graphic cards connected in SLI. not sure though.

Sli is multi GPU config

Quad sli refers to using 3+ GPUs
4 way refers to using 4 cards

These are ALL discontinued And outdated
Nvidia only supports 2 way sli now

well its doable but it depends on the gpu anything above a 960 or 970 you will be bottlenecking them and NVIDIA doesn't have any dual GPU graphics card for mainstream all of their mainstream graphic card have single gpu AFAIK. i really suggest to future proof your build go for a x99 or x79 setup and get a cpu with 40 pcie lanes

ok... Thanks for the help. can you suggest a case and cooler as well? Most likely I will not be OC. should I go liquid cooling? or fans enough.

ok... Thanks for the help. can you suggest a case and cooler as well? Most likely I will not be OC. should I go liquid cooling? or fans enough.
man you should overclock it to extract maximum performance out of it i run my x99 setups overclocked 24*7 so that we can get maximum teraflops out of them however if you do decide to not overclock them any 120mm aio or a air cooler in 2k range is enough intel does not ship 5820k and 5930k or other higher end chips with heats sink they assume anyone buying them will be buying after market cooler since they will be overclocking them. as for case go for a midtower pc atleast plenty or room for airflow and expansion but honestly cabinets are a matter of personal taste corsair makes pretty practical cases though with lots of modularity though its upto you as for x99 components i may have stuff for you PM me if youre interested i can also show you my build

Back