Graphic Cards 8400M vs Intel GMA X3100

how does the nVidia 8400M GS compare with the intel X3100

If am able to collect more money then i will buy one and confused about the graphics solution. :huh:

And one more thing.. I don't play any games..

Computer Games ?? What are they ??:p

oh sorry for the late edit. i don't play games usually. unless am really depressed or nothing to do... i play quake 3 i think so.

maybe i will keep the laptop somewhere and i will play hide and seek with the laptop. :p

hey but i would like the best of the two. not the weakling.

better for hd movies or any thing as such.

if u have the money then 8400M GS is worth it..as it will help u a lot in vista.

Intel graphic solutions are crappy...with absolutely no driver support.

also 8400Gs can even play the recent games at 800x600 with medium details.

So incase u want to upgrade from Quake 3 to quake 4 to COD4 ..its shouldnt be a problem.

8400gs is better then X3100 .. but in itself it is a poor card........

I have one on my Hp laptop so i know,

It is still quite good for your requirements, but forget any hardcore gaming on it.. I cannot run many games released post 2006, even at low graphic detail and 800x600.

aka911 said:
8400gs is better then X3100 .. but in itself it is a poor card........

I have one on my Hp laptop so i know,

It is still quite good for your requirements, but forget any hardcore gaming on it.. I cannot run many games released post 2006, even at low graphic detail and 800x600.

i also have a HP pavillion 6700 with the 8400M GS.

played COD4 800x600 low..with frames above 30fps all the time.
now playing GRID..runs very smooth at that res and look stunning even with low detail settings.

Dude, a dedicated one is always better than shared one. The X3100 will require ur RAm and 8400GS(PCI-Ex) have dedicated memory.

So whateveer be the reason the dedicated one is far better.

Also i suggest u to try market section for some used deals. U may find some super deals better than new 8400GS and u 'll be able to play games with med-high settings.

Dude, a dedicated one is always better than shared one. The X3100 will require ur RAm and 8400GS(PCI-Ex) have dedicated memory.

Do people even read the posts properly?

He clearely mentions about 8400M, M being the key here as in Mobile graphic. Which should mean that he's looking for laptop graphic solution.

Anyway, back on topic... If the gaming is not priority and if you do not run much graphic intensive applications (involving graphic card) then X3100 will suffice your needs. X3100 would ideal solution if you are looking for better battery life as well. If battery life is not concern, if overall cost does not differ a lot then go for 8400M.

Yeah, If you really want it for gaming then I would recommend against it. The card is good enough for HD playback only and in gaming the dx10 effects make no sense for such low end solution. See if in your budget you can get one of these mid-low range cards listed in descending order of gaming performance :
Geforce Go 7600, Mobility X800
Geforce Go 6800, Mobility HD 2400 XT, Mobility X1600
Mobility X700, Mobility X2300, Mobility X1300
Mobility 9600, Geforce 8400M GS

Be careful few of ATI old cards with better performance are SM 2.0 only.

the person has clearly mentioned that he doesn't play games.......also read abt the specs of X3100 here.....more over there is no point in having damages just for the name sake of having a gfx card in the lappy....better choose X3100

Intel may be the best processor makeing company on earth but they still had nt learnt how to provide graphics solution s onboard. Those figures that they show are crappy i bought a dell inspiron with x3100 onboard. Even nfs carbon didnt worked on that and i was thinking of getting crysis and COD4. Now i have to wait for 1 year when it ll get out of warranty then i ll buy a 9600gt for it.

Well this was my story you should deifnetly go for the 8400gs if you are not too into gameing then u can also look at 7300gt as it ll save you some money!!

Ok. Thanks all.. Reps for cool replies.

I want something that does not fail in me HD/DVDs and Something Vista Capable.

No gaming.

About gaming. I was into gaming since 2000 to 2003. Have played hard and also many many of them enjoyed all of them. Looking forward to get back. But not now.

Back