Budget 71-90K 85k Gaming Rig suggestions

Hello folks. I am buying a desktop gaming rig after almost 9 years. I have very less knowledge on what all components are good these days. Even the installation and assembling of a PC. So I have come here to get all the help I can from you pros.

I want to know all the best components that will fit my budget of 85k. I also want to get it assembled by some one who is extremely good in this department. Plz suggest me some one from TE itself or any other person from Mumbai who has more than adequate knowledge in assembling and installing a gaming rig.

Please let me know in sequence about all components along with brand names. I don't plan to overclock any thing. Won't be doing SLI either. I only want the best and stable components.

1) CPU i7 3rd gen
2) 16 RAM in quad channel
3) A good motherboard with good features for nvidia cards.
4) Nvidia GTX680 4GB graphics card
5) 256GB SSD. I want a fast and most reliable one but not too expensive.
6) 1000 watt PSU
7) A good 24-27" full HD monitor with good colour, contrast, brightness. Don't want TN panel.
8) A good looking cabinet with lots of cooling, good cable management, transparent side window, tool less feature, dust filters and big enough to fit all my components.
9) Did I miss anything? If I did plz let me know.

Well there it is. Please share your opinion and help me build my dream machine. Thanks guys

Well I saw that thread. It's old and of no use to me. I have put my requirements pretty straight forward. For me it's like living in the Stone Age bcoz I seriously am unaware of what is good and what is not. So I request you all to please take a glance at my list above and guide me. I will be using this machine primarily for gaming. All I ask is to lay down a high end gaming list of all components accept for speakers.

@mod_to_odd here is what I suggest --

Intel Core i5 3570 ~14500/- (you don't need anything more than a quad-core for now)
ASUS P8H77-V ~10500/-
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz ~3200/-
ZOTAC! GTX680 4GB ~40000/- (the 2GB version of the same card lingers ~35000/-)
OCZ Vertex4 256GB ~14200/- (reliable and speedy, get it from onlyssd.com)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~4200/-
Corsair HX 750W ~10000/- (you don't need a 1000W SMPS)
DeLL Ultrasharp U2412 ~21000/- OR ASUS PA246Q ~35000/-
Corsair Graphite 600T ~9500/-
A sine-wave UPS of at-least 1KVA rating ~15000/- (in case of power failure this will safeguard your expensive components)

Get audio peripherals at your own discretion and from the next time PLEASE FOLLOW THE TEMPLATE, it makes our job easier. Capisce.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mod_to_odd

Processor
-
1) Intel Core i7 3770 - 18.5K (Just price reference, i5 3570 will suffice, if gaming is only requirement)
2) Intel Core i5 3570 - 13.5K
Motherboard -
1) ASUS P8H77-V - 10K
2) Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H - 7K

Graphics Card -
1) Zotac GTX 670 - 28K
2) Sapphire AMD 7970 3GB vapor-X edtion - 34K
3) Zotac GTX 680 - 35K
7970 vs 670 : AnandTech - Bench - GPU12
7970 vs 680 : AnandTech - Bench - GPU12
670 vs 680 : AnandTech - Bench - GPU12
Take your pic here as per budget. Or wait for better suggestion. I would go with 7970 here personally.

SSD - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB - 14K
HDD - Seagate barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 - 6K
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (4 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) - 6K

Cabinet -
1) Corsair Carbide 400R - 5K (Non transperant window, but awesome price and one of the best cabby for 5K price bracket)
2) Bitfenix Raider Gunmetal Window - 8K
3) Cooler Master Enforcer - 7K

Monitor -
1) Dell U2412 - 20K
2) Dell U2312H - 15K
3) (If not looking for IPS) Dell ST2420L - 13K

PSU - Corsair TX v2750W - 6.7K (No need for 1000W, as no overclocking and no SLI, even 750W may be more, wait for better input from someone else here too.)

Price reference is taken from flipkart, so locally you will for sure find all components cheaper. If you go with Underlined components it should cost you 95K.

EDIT : Alpha, I did not see you had already posted. I guess while I was preparing the post it was posted.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I am curious to know. What would be the card to buy and why.

1) Nvidia gtx680-4gb or 2gb. Whats the difference in performance between the two? And how does the 4gb 680 compare to the AMD 7970-3gb card?

2) I almost forgot to tell you all that I currently have a AMD Radeon HD5870 running in crossfire setup in my Alienware M17X laptop. So will this upgrade give me a significant boost in performance in all games running on the highest settings?

3) And is Zotac the only brand that's offering a 4gb version of the card? Are there no modified versions of the card other than the reference model?

4) Now, do any of you know from whom or from where should I get my PC assembled. Some one who has the knowledge of it. It's not an easy task I know and I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for it for my piece of mind.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I am curious to know. What would be the card to buy and why.

1) Nvidia gtx680-4gb or 2gb. Whats the difference in performance between the two? And how does the 4gb 680 compare to the AMD 7970-3gb card?

2) I almost forgot to tell you all that I currently have a AMD Radeon HD5870 running in crossfire setup in my Alienware M17X laptop. So will this upgrade give me a significant boost in performance in all games running on the highest settings?

3) And is Zotac the only brand that's offering a 4gb version of the card? Are there no modified versions of the card other than the reference model?

4) Now, do any of you know from whom or from where should I get my PC assembled. Some one who has the knowledge of it. It's not an easy task I know and I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for it for my piece of mind.

1)Higher VRAM gives you better performance at Higher Resolutions. Also high end games tend to consume more vram thus increase the need. E.g Modded Skyrim easily crosses 2gb in vram usage. Also since the 2gb is only 4-5k cheaper than 4gb version, id say go for 4gb.

2) The 680 will outperform the crossfire setup in DX 11 Games.

3) ASUS GTX 680 4Gb - 37k
@ Asus GTX680-DC2G-4GD5 Graphic Card

4) PM Me .. Or add me on fb.com/sagartrix

What about the sound card? Which sound card is best?

This Asus P8H77-V motherboard supports quad channel ram? And it seems to only support AMD crossfire and not Nvidia SLI according to the info on Flipkart. I will be buying a Nvidia card anyways.
At the moment I don't plan on pairing the GPU with another but thought I would future proof it. But oh, my budget :0
I was thinking about the ASUS P8Z77-V-LX or P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard. I need an inbuilt wifi too.

What thermal paste should I buy for the CPU and how much quantity one should apply before putting the heatsink and fan?

- - - Updated - - -

Come on guys please give some more inputs. I am not in a hurry but I want more options for my rig. Please.

This Asus P8H77-V motherboard supports quad channel ram?

Quad channel is only supported by Sandy Bridge - E and Ivy Bridge - E processors that is the LGA 2011 based processors, which I think are costly (Core i7 3820 is and option if you wanna go for it ~ 18.5k). But then again motherboard too will be a costly one. The other two cpu's in the list are even costlier. Normal 2nd gen sandy bridge and 3rd gen Ivy bridge only have support for Dual Channel Memory.

See this board : http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79/#specifications --> but its costly about 19k

I suggest you stick with i5 3rd generation + dual channel memory .. Since all the i7 stuff and quad channels will be really consumed heavily if you are Rendering and into 3d modelling and stuff.

What thermal paste should I buy for the CPU and how much quantity one should apply before putting the heatsink and fan?
All aftermarket cooling pastes you get will cost you about 500Rs. I would say get a cooler instead, I have this Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer ~ 1.5k (Comes with Tuniq Tx-2 paste) its really good for cooling. Check the reviews if you want to.

Ok now i am almost there. I have decided the rest of the stuff. Only these remain.

What's the difference between Asus PH877-V, ASUS P8Z77-V-LX and P8Z77-V PRO motherboards? Which one would be the wise choice. I don't mind little extra features. But I want inbuilt wifi.

What sound card should I buy? How is the Asus Zonar DX and DSX?

And what alternatives are there for a good UPS. Alpha17 has suggested the Sine-Wave 1kva. Any other than that which is a bit cheaper but also reliable enough.

What's the difference between Asus PH877-V, ASUS P8Z77-V-LX and P8Z77-V PRO motherboards? Which one would be the wise choice. I don't mind little extra features. But I want inbuilt wifi.

For starters Nvidia SLI is only supported in ASUS P8Z77-V-LX (It supports Crossfire too) rest two support Crossfire Only

Go to asus website add the three mobos to the Compare list and check for your self the differences ...

For starters Nvidia SLI is only supported in ASUS P8Z77-V-LX (It supports Crossfire too) rest two support Crossfire Only

Go to asus website add the three mobos to the Compare list and check for your self the differences ...

Thanks man. So then should I go for the Asus P8Z77-V-LX or the P8H77-V ? Their pricing is almost same.
And what about the sound card and UPS?

Thanks man. So then should I go for the Asus P8Z77-V-LX or the P8H77-V ? Their pricing is almost same.
And what about the sound card and UPS?

Woops there was a typo
P8Z77-V PRO supports Quadfire + SLI (If you want to SLI then you can only opt for this motherboard) ~ 16.5k

between the other Two I'd say go for Z77 board if you planning for a Sound Card ... If not then go for H77

Woops there was a typo
P8Z77-V PRO supports Quadfire + SLI (If you want to SLI then you can only opt for this motherboard) ~ 16.5k

between the other Two I'd say go for Z77 board if you planning for a Sound Card ... If not then go for H77

OP has already said no to SLi, so quit stuffing that in the mix.

Also how does the chipset affect the choice and performance of a discrete sound-card?

@mod_to_odd go for an ASUS P8H77-V ~10500/- and be done with it. ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8H77-V -- No inbuilt Wi-Fi but the adapters come really cheap for ~1000/- bucks and lower (for a N150 standard device).

And what alternatives are there for a good UPS. Alpha17 has suggested the Sine-Wave 1kva. Any other than that which is a bit cheaper but also reliable enough.

You can look at the APC BR1100VA-IN for ~5000/- (call APC India customer care) and get further details as to where you can source it from in your city. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys how is the Crucial M4 SSD?
BTW one of my friend is coming from the US tomorrow and i was wondering if the Samsung 840 SSD is any good for 5k? Not much time though for him so he will grab one from the local store over there. I need a quick reply from you guys please.

Back